PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf

Oskaar
09-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Looks good, and they actually have the "Mead Hall" as part of the story for once! Looks like it could be really sh!tty or really awesome. Time and a sneak in viewing will tell!

http://www.beowulfmovie.com/

Oskaar

wayneb
09-26-2007, 03:09 PM
I've got great expectations for this one! Hopefully we all won't be disappointed.... :cheers:

ucflumberjack
09-26-2007, 03:32 PM
man..... the video game looks pretty cool. i really hope they dont mess up the movie. i have a feeling they will though...

ehanuise
09-26-2007, 06:59 PM
man..... the video game looks pretty cool. i really hope they dont mess up the movie. i have a feeling they will though...

Isn't the usual way to make a cool movie and then a crappy game out of it ? ;D

Oskaar
09-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Usually its a crappy movie and a crappier game IMNSHO!

cheers,

Oskaar

ucflumberjack
09-26-2007, 09:45 PM
:-[ ya.... look at LOTR.....

sandman
09-27-2007, 10:55 PM
I remain cautiously optimistic as always... :angel10:

zelthian
09-29-2007, 08:18 PM
Here is a talk Neil Gaiman gave at Microsoft a while back where he talks about the Beowulf movie. The bit about Beowulf starts around 19:40, and at one point he makes the statement, "This is Beowulf, and it's filled with blood, and gore, and sex, and lots and lots and lots and lots of mead."

http://content.digitalwell.washington.edu/msr/external_release_talks_12_05_2005/12843/lecture.htm

Note: The link only works in Internet Explorer.

ucflumberjack
11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
So i wanted to bring this back up because i have yet to go see it, but have been told that it was terrible. im hoping thats its not, but just incase ill wait til i can get it from blockbuster so i can drink mead while watching it...

wayneb
11-26-2007, 04:38 PM
I have not yet seen it, either. But both my boys (ages 13 and 15) thought it was by far the best movie they've seen all year. (So now we know they've been successful in hitting their target demographic, anyway!) :laughing7:

Oskaar
11-26-2007, 11:31 PM
I downloaded it from the usenet over the weekend. . .

I won't be wasting my time or money. Anthony Hopkins half-naked and actin' a fool <shudder> is something I didn't need to see, and, well, the rest of it wasn't really anything past average in my opinion. They did have the Mead Hall, but they also had a Hollywood story to sell, so we had a dragon. The actors were in that "skinned" style of animation which bugs me honestly.

Well, pass for now.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Wolfie
11-27-2007, 06:45 PM
I'm gonna stick with "cautiously optomistic" here.
Hope to see it tonight, I read one take on the movie that actually put Gaimans retelling ina na interestin light, we'll see.

WRATHWILDE
11-29-2007, 03:06 AM
I went to see it last weekend in IMAX 3D, which has to make it better. The story was mediocre, parts of the animation were laughable, like watching the Robin hood scene from the Original Shrek, but without the intention of being funny. I could have done without seeing a fat Hopkins too. But luckily the worst scenes are all at the beginning. If you haven't been to see a 3D movie in a few years, fricken Go to an IMAX 3D movie NOW!!! How good is the 3D? I don't jump during movies, loud noises, scary movie scenes, they roll over me without a reaction when the rest of the audience is screaming and jumping backward in their seats. The 3D is so good that at one point my body went into involuntary self preservation. There was a spear that, in 1/60th of a second leapt out of the screen and was in danger of putting my eye out. Seriously my head snapped back and my left arm flew up to try and knock it out of the path of my eye before my brain could even finish the thought "F*ck". The 3D is the only thing that could balance it out enough to be worth seeing in the Theater, especially if you catch the cheap seats at the matinee.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

David Baldwin
12-05-2007, 07:34 PM
I'll agree that the 3D effects were fantastic.

I hadn't expected it to be almost entirely computer animated. It did lend a surreal quality to the film.

Yep, the spear thrust just about gave me a heart attack.

The story line went way to far afield from the original for me to really enjoy the film.

I'll put that drinking horn on my Christmas wish list though... :cheers:

David

fish
12-05-2007, 08:42 PM
I did not care for the film. I thought there was no reason to animate it and the animation I found really distracting. I do think it will be a new drinking game. Every time he says "I am Beowul" take a shot.

Teufelhund
12-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Personally, I find it rather offensive, historically and culturally, as it's just more hyped-up Hollywitz sex, blood and guts glamour that distorts the real story of Beowulf. But then again, I hate 99% of the garbage that they make these days anyways. Besides that, Anjolina is one sick puppy! :icon_puke_l:

DD

liff
12-07-2007, 06:10 PM
I really enjoyed the movie. For what it is. See it in IMAX or don't see it.

Funny story: My girlfriend and I were watching the movie mostly by ourselves whispering to each other during the movie. After I saw the grendel I wondered aloud, "I wonder how Beowulf is going to rip his arm off?" Gf says to me, "How do you know he is going to rip off his arm?" I said that I had read the book. She exclaims, "This was a book?!"

I did my best to try to explain the historical and cutural significance, I don't think it worked.

akueck
12-07-2007, 06:34 PM
HAHAHA. Nice. How did she like Lord of the Rings? I hear that was a book too....

David Baldwin
12-07-2007, 07:04 PM
As badly as they trashed the original story line, I was almost surprised that they kept in the part of the torn arm, and hanging it in the meadhall.

storm1969
12-07-2007, 08:54 PM
I must say, one of the worst movies I have seen in a long while.

Poor animation, story and acting....

Loved the big pot of mead, however.

WRATHWILDE
12-08-2007, 04:20 AM
But then again, I hate 99% of the garbage that they make these days anyways.

I'll raise you 0.9% as to films being garbage, though It's not hate so much as apathy.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

teljkon
12-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Well ive been avoiding this thread untill i moved didnt see it Imax. My view on this is simple. I could have delt with the movie being animated I could have delt with the plot being changed. I couldnt deal with both. I would have been more content with the animation if they kept the story true. Hypatheticaly speaking if they changed the story and kept it live action, I would still be ticked. The way they passed it of though kinda ticked me off I really thought it was live action. I even saw the trailer when I went to watch the bourn identity an I still though it was a live action. Then I sit down in the theater and see the redicoulus first scen that looked like it had been done on 5.86. I seriously though I was in the wrong movie.

I dont care if they make digital movies but dont rune a epic. The part that disgruntled me more than anything is that they had to ruine his honor with the crapy rewrite they did. Beouwulf is sapose to be a pure and humble king that swalloed his fear and rose up against the challanges he sought even if it ment his own parill. Its all part of the undermining of the modern american male and it burns my goat.
:angry5:

ucflumberjack
12-19-2007, 02:55 PM
"Its all part of the undermining of the modern american male and it burns my goat. "

:cheers:

akueck
12-20-2007, 01:51 AM
So I was in an airport recently looking for something to read during my pleasant 12 hour journey. I saw a copy of Beowulf, but said "ah, I don't want to read Beowulf with a movie shot on the cover." My wife asked, "why, it's not like they changed the story. who cares what's on the cover?" Then I pointed to the subtitle---"based on the screenplay".

AHHHHHH!!!!! :BangHead: A book, based on the shoddy screenplay, based on something you can actually buy in unadulterated book form. Is the average book consumer really that dumb? I guess so. :sad10:

teljkon
12-20-2007, 03:06 AM
:icon_puke_l: :icon_puke_r:

Pewter_of_Deodar
12-20-2007, 04:05 PM
I saw digital 3D last night. Wore the glasses and everything. My first experience with good 3D so I enjoyed it despite the movie.

The contribution of "mead" to the film was nil... Vikings shouting for mead like bikers shout for cold beers...

The combat between Beowulf and the dragon was just too unrealistic and I couldn't suspend disbelief, which is usually not a problem with me. Hook a dragon, underwater, with a boat anchor, through it's hide? Come on...

Too many naked man butts... Too much sexual innuendo for a PG-13 rating and yet not enough to justify R... Glad I didn't take my teenager...

If you've never seen good 3D, go and see it in 3D. Otherwise, rent it/buy it when it comes out on DVD and save yourself some big bucks. It was $10.25 each...

Teufelhund
01-01-2008, 12:01 PM
So when the movie reviews come out and tell us that "Beowulf" pulled in $23 million, that means that less than 1% of the population went to see it, based on the 285 million US population stats.
Top grossing movies don't mean squat anymore, considering you're getting raped at the ticket counter. 40 yrs ago "A Hard Days Night" would have been a $23 million dollar block buster if Hollywood stroked everyone $10 per ticket too! To this day, I haven't been in a movie theater since, well, let me think, at least a decade or more.

DD

It was $10.25 each...

Pewter_of_Deodar
01-07-2008, 11:00 AM
So when the movie reviews come out and tell us that "Beowulf" pulled in $23 million, that means that less than 1% of the population went to see it, based on the 285 million US population stats.
Top grossing movies don't mean squat anymore, considering you're getting raped at the ticket counter. 40 yrs ago "A Hard Days Night" would have been a $23 million dollar block buster if Hollywood stroked everyone $10 per ticket too! To this day, I haven't been in a movie theater since, well, let me think, at least a decade or more.

Yeh, ticket price inflation will always result in new records for how much a movie brought in over time. I wonder how the number of tickets sold compares to ten or twenty years ago...

But pro sports suffers from the same thing with the number of games in a season or number of playoff games each year increasing from what it was two or three decades ago...