• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Beowulf

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Looks good, and they actually have the "Mead Hall" as part of the story for once! Looks like it could be really sh!tty or really awesome. Time and a sneak in viewing will tell!

http://www.beowulfmovie.com/

Oskaar

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
man..... the video game looks pretty cool. i really hope they dont mess up the movie. i have a feeling they will though...

ehanuise

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2007
ucflumberjack said:
man..... the video game looks pretty cool. i really hope they dont mess up the movie. i have a feeling they will though...
Isn't the usual way to make a cool movie and then a crappy game out of it ? ;D

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Usually its a crappy movie and a crappier game IMNSHO!

cheers,

Oskaar

zelthian

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2006
www.mythicmountain.com

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
So i wanted to bring this back up because i have yet to go see it, but have been told that it was terrible. im hoping thats its not, but just incase ill wait til i can get it from blockbuster so i can drink mead while watching it...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I downloaded it from the usenet over the weekend. . .

I won't be wasting my time or money. Anthony Hopkins half-naked and actin' a fool <shudder> is something I didn't need to see, and, well, the rest of it wasn't really anything past average in my opinion. They did have the Mead Hall, but they also had a Hollywood story to sell, so we had a dragon. The actors were in that "skinned" style of animation which bugs me honestly.

Well, pass for now.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I'm gonna stick with "cautiously optomistic" here.
Hope to see it tonight, I read one take on the movie that actually put Gaimans retelling ina na interestin light, we'll see.

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
I went to see it last weekend in IMAX 3D, which has to make it better. The story was mediocre, parts of the animation were laughable, like watching the Robin hood scene from the Original Shrek, but without the intention of being funny. I could have done without seeing a fat Hopkins too. But luckily the worst scenes are all at the beginning. If you haven't been to see a 3D movie in a few years, fricken Go to an IMAX 3D movie NOW!!! How good is the 3D? I don't jump during movies, loud noises, scary movie scenes, they roll over me without a reaction when the rest of the audience is screaming and jumping backward in their seats. The 3D is so good that at one point my body went into involuntary self preservation. There was a spear that, in 1/60th of a second leapt out of the screen and was in danger of putting my eye out. Seriously my head snapped back and my left arm flew up to try and knock it out of the path of my eye before my brain could even finish the thought "F*ck". The 3D is the only thing that could balance it out enough to be worth seeing in the Theater, especially if you catch the cheap seats at the matinee.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
I'll agree that the 3D effects were fantastic.

I hadn't expected it to be almost entirely computer animated. It did lend a surreal quality to the film.

Yep, the spear thrust just about gave me a heart attack.

The story line went way to far afield from the original for me to really enjoy the film.

I'll put that drinking horn on my Christmas wish list though... :cheers:

David

fish

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2007
I did not care for the film. I thought there was no reason to animate it and the animation I found really distracting. I do think it will be a new drinking game. Every time he says "I am Beowul" take a shot.

Teufelhund

Banned
Oct 17, 2007
POX 181 Covington, OH 45318
Personally, I find it rather offensive, historically and culturally, as it's just more hyped-up Hollywitz sex, blood and guts glamour that distorts the real story of Beowulf. But then again, I hate 99% of the garbage that they make these days anyways. Besides that, Anjolina is one sick puppy! :icon_puke_l:

DD

liff

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
Phoenix
I really enjoyed the movie. For what it is. See it in IMAX or don't see it.

Funny story: My girlfriend and I were watching the movie mostly by ourselves whispering to each other during the movie. After I saw the grendel I wondered aloud, "I wonder how Beowulf is going to rip his arm off?" Gf says to me, "How do you know he is going to rip off his arm?" I said that I had read the book. She exclaims, "This was a book?!"

I did my best to try to explain the historical and cutural significance, I don't think it worked.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
HAHAHA. Nice. How did she like Lord of the Rings? I hear that was a book too....

storm1969

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 13, 2005
Columbia, MD
I must say, one of the worst movies I have seen in a long while.

Poor animation, story and acting....

Loved the big pot of mead, however.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns