PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Software Coming for Gotmead

webmaster
10-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi folks,

We are currently in the process of configuring and testing new forum software for the Gotmead forums. It is quite a bit more feature rich and will have many new and more robust tools for us to work with here.

Some of the new features we will have:

- a more robust subscription system
- a full featured patron blogging system that will be embedded in the forum
- member maps to show where GM folk are from
- better integration with the main site

...and that is just a few of the new items.

We are using award-winning software from vBulletin, widely considered one of the best forum packages on the market. The software is installed in our test site now, and we are in the process of tweaking and customizing right now.

wayneb
10-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Vicky!!

Every time I think that this site can't get any better, you prove me wrong! ;D

That integrated blog will be just the thing to track progress on the upcoming group brew we've been planning.

webmaster
10-02-2007, 10:28 AM
You're welcome Wayne. Your Patron Dollars at work, LOL.

Angus
10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
One of the few items people seem so reluctant to enter when subscribing is their location. What gives? I love the idea of a member map that will allow us to better network our local members. Now we just need to push people to update their profiles to let us know where they are.

Thanks Vicky. Great improvements.

Angus

fatesjoke03
10-02-2007, 11:26 AM
This sounds awesome! Wayneb is right, this place just keeps getting better and more helpful. Easier means more people may take a chance at making mead and that is good for us all. Thanks Vicky!!

wildaho
10-02-2007, 01:19 PM
I love the idea of the member maps too. Am I the only person in Idaho making mead? And how about the neighboring states? Colorado seems to be a hot bed but that's still 700 miles away! I'd love to meet some other locals and tell mead war stories whilst sipping on one (in person, and not on the net).

Looking forward to the changes Vicky! And I think next week I'll actually be flush enough to finally join as a patron too!

WRATHWILDE
10-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Vicky Vicky Vicky...
I've just had a vision, for you I foresee a future of Unforeseeable problems, long hours, headaches, curses mumbled and barked in frustration, bugs bigger than the giant aquatic centipedes in Naked Lunch. I see you searching obscure forums for answers.

Wrathwilde (Kicking and Screaming ;) )

webmaster
10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
LOL...actually, I'm hoping that having a *paid* forum solution will lessen the problems......in any case, I have to do this, as the bridge software for our forum and joomla is no longer valid, the Joomla folks took it down.

Oskaar
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm very excited about this software as well. It's eminently tweakable and very comprehensive, as well as being something that we can actually get reasonable support in a reasonable amount of time as well as a feature rich environment that we can use to roll out more and more benefits to our Patrons and Registered Users.

We are also going to be radically changing the whole look and feel of the main site as part of our renovations and stabilization efforts. GM will really be looking incredible when we're finished, and will also have some site features that ya'll won't be expecting . . . but, I'm getting ahead of myself for now. We'll also be enlisting the aid of our patrons to beta test and QA the changes we'll be making so get ready boys and girls, changes are a comming.

cheers,

Oskaar

webmaster
10-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey, LOL, I thought it looked pretty decent now......but yeah, we're making some pretty radical changes. I've established a GM test site on another server that we'll be using to test out the new toys and looks before implementing them here, so like Oskaar says, we'll be recruiting some beta testers and folks to help us find the weaknesses in the new system.....

wayneb
10-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Now I know why Oskaar's had no time for all these fermentation experiments he's been planning! ::)

webmaster
10-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Heh. He's been working at his job so many hours, *I* hardly can get ahold of him. I spent all day Sunday just playing with the features and configuration stuff on the new forum software. He's had some time to play, but I'm going to dump some more on him soon....bwahahahahahaha.

Next task is to import all the settings, boards and users from here, and see how that goes, then finish putting all the site features in the main software, then copy a set of all the data, then put in the bridge between the site and the forum, then set up all the subscriptions, then manually add all the data that won't transfer automatically, then set up the blog software, then work on the template and layout for the new forum, then integrate the site and forum so there are ways back and forth between the two, then do the new layout for the site......

And somewhere in there I have to work on tax paperwork, finish the IMA and IMF upgrades and the re-write of my business site......LOL

::whew:: Gonna be a *long* weekend.....

fatesjoke03
10-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Let me be the first to volunteer as a beta tester.

wildaho
10-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Let me be the second. I maintain the website for our store and have played a bit with forum software. I work cheap!

Arjan
10-02-2007, 05:47 PM
great to hear you are switching! i am running 2 vbulletin forums, and never want anything else anymore. its well worth the money!

will you be using vbadvanced as portal page too?

Rhianni
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM
This is awesome news. There is a lot of great info on the main site but its rough to navigate to even when I know where it is.

webmaster
10-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Arjan, no we'll be continuing to use Joomla, but the menus and pages will be reorganized to be easier to find. Rhianni, you'll soon be seeing banners that point to various areas of the site and new info to make it easier to find.

As you can imagine, its a bit of a job to figure out a way to make thousands of pages of mead info easily found, and I'm working on it, guys. Keep the faith, we'll get there.

Vicky - running off to cook dinner for my family

Angus
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
And what about the book??????

Come on, here we are all excited about the book and you're too busy making the site better. How inconsiderate is that?????? Honestly, I just don't know. Some people have their priorities all messed up. ;)

Beta tester here (do you expect anything else from me?)

Angus

wayneb
10-02-2007, 07:09 PM
It goes without saying that I'll beta test, too... but I'm saying it anyway! ;D

webmaster
10-02-2007, 07:12 PM
The book is being worked on, but I'm doing the site changes so that all the little glitches that plague me every day will lessen so I can put more time into the book. Right now I have to interrupt my work several times a day to fix little problems and issues that the site creates because its not as stable as it could be....

ucflumberjack
10-02-2007, 08:00 PM
lol yall are awesome. giveing so much of your time to entertain us and project mead into the mainstream(hopefully). thats what coffee is for though right? i feel like i should send yall bottled of mead when i finally produce something thats good enough to be loved by somebody other than its creator.....

WRATHWILDE
10-03-2007, 12:19 AM
Right now I have to interrupt my work several times a day to fix little problems and issues that the site creates because its not as stable as it could be....

That will never go away, because your moderators and members aren't as stable (mentally sound) as they should be. I'll help beta test too, You'll need someone running OSX and safari to make your life a little more miserable. >:D

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

fatesjoke03
10-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Wrathchilde...OSX?? Come on!! j/k. Anyway...GM????....theonly reason my neighbor and I are feeling good right now is because of everyone on this sight. Again I nominate myself for a beta tester.

teljkon
10-03-2007, 01:59 AM
glad to see the main page is getting a face lift that darn glass of mead always over laps the text on my browser :sad5:
:happy10:

webmaster
10-03-2007, 02:07 AM
Y'know, if y'all *tell* me when this stuff happens, I *do* try and fix it........ :-\

WRATHWILDE
10-03-2007, 03:24 AM
Wrathchilde...OSX?? Come on!!

Ya want I should upgrade to :BangHead: Vista?

Or maybe I should go back to IBM's kick ass :notworthy: "OS/2",

GeoWorks :headbang: anyone?

:computer: DR-DOS 6.0?

:icon_thumleft: BeOS?

Actually I don't know how many of them would run on my Dual G5 2.0GHz Power Mac. And I just love this tower

I've used them all in the past... can anyone tell I've hated Microsoft for a very very long time? I hated Apple even before I started hating Microsoft... and that continued right up until 2002 when my brother started running OS X 10.2 on his Dual G4. He open several Video windows (6 or 7) and proceeded to open just about every major application (including photoshop) and the multiple videos didn't even hiccup. Our Intel Machines were several generations ahead of his Mac but doing half the stuff he did would have crashed our systems, and forget the half dozen videos playing flawlessly, hit three on our systems and they would start dropping frames or worse. So at that point I started respecting their new OS, but still hated the old tech machines. That changed with the Power Mac G5... wow, I was in love... expensive, hell yes, but awesome!!! The New Mac Pro Line is the best engineered Tower computer Design ever - IMNSHO. Check out the MAC Pro here! (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=7B72365D&node=home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro)

With Microsoft I hated how every time I had to reinstall (way too often), it broke half of my other programs and I'd spend the next day or two trying to get my favorite programs to run again. Until finally I upgraded to a supposedly more stable MS-OS and it broke WordPerfect permanently. I was never able to recover the novel I had been working on for 2-3 years, my short stories, nothing I had done in the 5-6 years previous. Word refused to handle the files, and I was never able to get another copy of WP running on that machine. At that point I started using GeoWorks, 1991, which fricking flew compared to Windows, on my ZEOS 20MHz 286 with 1MB of Ram, an AMBER monitor and I believe a 40MB RLL drive ;D $2100 in 1987 I believe

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

teljkon
10-03-2007, 05:20 AM
Not really that big of a deal my comp is really old so its not you its my system.
:happy10:

Yo momma
10-03-2007, 06:04 AM
I think this is a great idea. I need to do a little research from timre to time and it is somewhat difficult to get where you want to go. But I do usually find what i need in due time. Anyway the though of getting the answer faster exites me. Thanks for the hard work you people put into this site. If there is anything I can do to help......... :cheers:

ehanuise
10-03-2007, 06:27 AM
Ya want I should upgrade to :BangHead: Vista?

Or maybe I should go back to IBM's kick ass :notworthy: "OS/2",

GeoWorks :headbang: anyone?

:computer: DR-DOS 6.0?

:icon_thumleft: BeOS?

*cough*Ubuntu?*cough*