PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all!

shunoshi
10-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I just wanted to post to say, "Hello!" to everyone. I'm new to the forum and mead, but not entirely new to brewing. I live in Minnesota and started brewing beer several months ago. Now with a few beers and 2 batches of apple wine under my belt, I want to take on the old medieval standby, mead. I've tried mead on a few occasions (Renaissance Festival and local beer festivals) and have always enjoyed it. My favorites are dry mead and blueberry melomel.

I'll be lurking around and already have a question I've been searching for an answer to for awhile. Anyone know of a good local MN source for honey? Northern Brewer out of St. Paul has a couple varieties of honey (clover and wildflower), but I'd really like to support local beekeepers and get the added benefit of knowing where my honey is coming from.

Now's the time to start making some mead! ;D

Wolfie
10-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Welcome on Shunoshi.
Another MN Homebrewer ;D, what part of MN do you live in?

One of the best places for honey around the TC is the downtown farmers market in down town Mpls. (The one kind of "behind" the basilica) there are two local apiest there, one who this year got to open his stand with a handful of blue and red state fair medals. Both are good and have prices moderately lower than Northern B's.
I got to NB for my honey in the winter time after the Farmers market closes, or for varietals like sage that I can not find at the farmers market (the farmers market has Buckwheat on the other hand)

Good luck with your first meads, look forward to seeing you on the forum.

~Wolfie

wildaho
10-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Welcome Shunoshi! I think you're gonna like it here. Lot's of knowledgeable and friendly folks.

shunoshi
10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Welcome on Shunoshi.
Another MN Homebrewer ;D, what part of MN do you live in?

Hey Wolfie, I live in Hopkins actually, so the Minneapolis farmer's market is closer than NB anyhow. :D I'll have to check that out. There's a farmer's market running for another 2 weeks or so in Hopkins on Saturday mornings as well. I was going to head there this weekend to see if they have anything. What days/hours does the one in Minneapolis run?

Angus
10-03-2007, 07:43 AM
Do a search for honeys in MN or northern WI at Honeylocator.com (http://www.honeylocator.com/search.asp)

Angus

shunoshi
10-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Do a search for honeys in MN or northern WI at Honeylocator.com (http://www.honeylocator.com/search.asp)

Yeah, I actually found this site while searching before. Unfortunately every apiary/honey supplier is WAY outside of the Twin Cities. I suppose a couple hour drive may be worth it should they sell the 60 lbs. buckets. So, I'm leaving that as an option as well. Was really hoping for a closer solution though. I guess that's the price one pays for living in suburbia instead of the sticks. :-\

Thanks anyhow! ;D

Wolfie
10-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Sorry it took me a moment to get back to you. The down town mpls market is open Sat and Sun until about 1 pm.

I know there are apiaries around if your willing to drive to the stix. but since I have no car, I've never looked them up.

shunoshi
10-04-2007, 02:14 AM
I think I may try to hit up the farmer's market on Lyndale this weekend or next. I have a buddy who lives in uptown that frequents that market, so if all else fails I'll have him pick me up some.

Thanks again for the help.

Yo momma
10-04-2007, 06:07 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-grade-A-honey-1-gallon-EXCELLENT-TASTE-5-gal-aval_W0QQitemZ160150672609QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20474 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If your looking for a good deal on some honey try this one. She sells all kinds of honey but the clover she has is $45.00 for 5 gallons +shipping :o. I got it 2 days after ordering it. I think she is closer to you so the shipping will be cheaper. Welcome to the forums. :cheers:

shunoshi
10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Pure-grade-A-honey-1-gallon-EXCELLENT-TASTE-5-gal-aval_W0QQitemZ160150672609QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20474 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If your looking for a good deal on some honey try this one. She sells all kinds of honey but the clover she has is $45.00 for 5 gallons +shipping :o. I got it 2 days after ordering it. I think she is closer to you so the shipping will be cheaper. Welcome to the forums. :cheers:

Whoa, $45 for 5 gallons?! You've got my interest on that one! :toothy10: Thanks!!!

Wolfie
10-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Yep She's on my list too.
What do you think of the flavor yo mama? I was thinking I might order a gallon first, but honestly theres no reason for me not to get the whole 5 so long as it doesn't taste like burnt plastic (see Oskaars Yeast Test in the Brewlog, it's a great read), not like I wont use it.

~Wolfie

Yo momma
10-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Well I can tell you that the color is as dark as I've ever seen. The flavor is sweeter than the store bought kind. The smell is overwhelming. I have three 6 gallon batches going with some honey left in reserve from the 5 gallons (for the newbees that's roughly 60 lbs.). I have got the Oscaar's Oaked Sweet Mead going now, which looks like melted milk chocolate :snorting:. I'm going to get another 5 gallons in the spring when I've got an opening for a new batch! :drunken_smilie: :cheers:

Wolfie
10-05-2007, 11:33 PM
The smell is overwhelming.
:drunken_smilie: :cheers:

Thats all I needed to hear. I'll place my order before month end

shunoshi
10-06-2007, 04:05 AM
Hey Wolfie,

Is she normally quick to respond? I sent off an email to the yahoo account she had displayed on the ebay listing, but haven't received a reply as of yet. I know bee keeping season is coming to a close and I'd like to get my hands on a 5 gallon pail before it's too late.