PDA

View Full Version : New to the Board with some ??

waxingmoon
10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Hello all I joined about two weeks ago but this is my first post I just recieved a 5 gal pail of Russian Olive blossom honey has anyone heard of this type of honey and what are its pros and cons another goofy question whats an easy way to measure and get the honey out of the pail thanks in advance

akueck
10-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Well, I can answer neither of your questions, but Hello! and Welcome! :wave:

Where did you get olive honey? Sounds awesome! What does it taste like?

waxingmoon
10-09-2007, 04:03 PM
A friend of mine lives in upstate NY and picked up 5gals of russian olive and 5 gals of summer wildflower harvest for me the russian olive is real dark and very sweet started my first test batch of 3 gals today and thanks for the welcome ou guys have already given me some great input just reading the posts

Oskaar
10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
The olive oil honey I've had from the Dalmatian Islands has been thick, dark and sweet but with a very pungent earthiness. Haven't made mead from it though. I'd honestly try a dry mead out of it. Something like:

14 lbs olive blossom honey
H2O to 5 gallons

Shoot for a starting gravity of about 1.120

Pitch 10 grams of EC-1118 rehydrated in Go-Ferm as per Lallemand spec.

Aerate well, feed 6 grams DAP at the end of the lag phase and 6 grams fermaid K at the 1/3 sugar break.

Aerate and stir daily through the 2/3 sugar break. Airlock and swirl the carboy daily until fermentation has ceased.

Cheers,

Oskaar