PDA

View Full Version : Clearing a Pyment

Dave in Indiana
10-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Made Ken Schramm's pyment. Started it in January. Sur lee aged for 9 months. Racked in early September. Not throwing any lees but still cloudy.

I am looking for suggestions for fining and clarification.

ucflumberjack
10-09-2007, 02:11 PM
bentonite, sparkloid, gelatin, poly clar, clearfine, isinglass. those are the ones that my LHBS sells but i have yet to use any of them. sometimes just racking once works for me. it doesnt make sense to me but it seems to work.

Oskaar
10-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Different approach is to rack, and let stand until it has gone for a year. Then examine fining solutions if still necessary. Racking helps to clear, so does long term aging. If it isn't clear after a couple of years then you can fine, filter or add some oak to help.

Cheers,

Oskaar

ehanuise
10-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Oak helps clearing ? :icon_study:

punkideas
10-09-2007, 08:34 PM
If I recall correctly, tannins act as a fining agent of some sort (not sure if it is positively or negatively charged).

wayneb
10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
Oak provides tannins, and other phenolics. Tannins react with proteins that are suspended in the must, and will assist in their precipitation. In fact, the addition of some protein (gelatin, egg albumin, etc.) to red wines is sometimes all that is needed to fine the wine. The proteins electrostatically attract other stuff suspended in the wine, and then the reaction with tannin causes the whole lot to precipitate out. Note that the total tannin in the wine is reduced somewhat when this happens.