PDA

View Full Version : Do you have another hobby?

ucflumberjack
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I was just wondering what else you people spend your time and money doing while your not at work. I myself put alot of time and money into my fish tanks. I have three of them right now:
1. its a 72 gallon bowfront tank (its a tank designed for reef's by all-glass) with 5 firemouth cichlids(2-4 inches), 8 tigerbarbs(1-2inches), 2 female swordtails(2inches), 2 bristlenose pleco's(3inches), and one common pleco(4-5 inches). Its decorated with a bunch of live plants and 2 big rocks.
2. its a 29 gallon tank, 30 inches from left to right, 12 inches front to back, and 19 inches from top to bottom. it houses 11 rummynose tetras, 2 hatchetfish, and soon 8 young angelfish. its decorated with one piece of driftwood, one piece of pottery a few live plants and a big fake palm tree. eventually the angelfish will gow up and pick mates, then ill give 6 of them away and keep only one pair.
3. its a 7 gallon tank with a few guppies a few corries and a female betta. decorated with blue gravel and a few plants.

wayneb
10-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I have 3 kids - 2 of them are teenagers. I don't have time for any of my other hobbies at the moment! :laughing7:

Seriously, when I get enough free time again, I'll get back to photography (got to sell my old Olympus SLR and get a digital box first, though), and musical instrument building (I'm a luthier, specializing in building harps and hammered dulcimers). I used to keep large fresh water aquariums, but after so many moves I had to let that hobby slip away. We do have a 10 gallon guppy tank for my 11 year old daughter, however!

storm1969
10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Photography. Wayneb, I have an Olympus E-300 DSLR, getting ready to purchase their new one.

Computers.

And my wife says if I get any more she will kill me!

wayneb
10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
I still have an old OM-4T. Now I shoot pictures with a "collector's item!" At least I should be able to get a good price for it on eBay! ;)

AsharaLyn
10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I sew, mostly historical outfits (not costumes, which implies a shabby quality of work). It started as an adjunct to our Renaissance Faire habit, but then I got interested in reading everything I could on other peoples' research into authenticity. My chosen eras are Elizabethan (which is what most ren faires use for their period), and also Victorian, specifically 1865ish to 1885ish (hoop, bustle, natural form, and late bustle).

youngmeadman
10-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Photography, with the Nikon D40x, and I've been in scouting since I was a wee lad! But between work and school, don't have much time to do anything else!

YoungMeadman

akueck
10-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Yeah, this is my hobby. I pretty much go to work and come home and go to work again the next day. (I'm a PhD student.) I suppose my real extra hobby is keeping my wife sane--this is her first year teaching and she's got 7th graders. (Teachers are so undervalued it's no wonder this country's kids are failing all the standardized tests.) I've gotten to be quite efficient at tallying up quiz and test grades, doing data entry, and hanging things on the walls of her classroom. And my cooking skills have greatly improved as well. But she actually got home early enough tonight to help cook dinner, so that makes it all worth it. :D I am so brewing on Sunday though.

Jandra
10-11-2007, 02:19 AM
Nice topic. Cool, another luthier in the forum. Though I'm hardly a luthier... I've just built a few small travel harps. But between having RSI and a nasty accident causing my left thumb to be restricted in movement and strength it has been a few years since I made any. I can't confidently use the tools anymore.

What I DO do in my free time is gardening on my allotment. I've also got a few fruit trees on the allotment, some of which are starting to crop. This year I had about 40 plums, 11 apples and 6 pears. It's a start ;D And I have raspberries and strawberries. At the house we have a small garden in which I have alpines.

I like to read fantasy, I sing in a chamber choir, we have cats. I belatedly got a BA, but before that I also was playing in the SCA and may be doing that again. I'm 'cursed' with a wide range of interests and the focus of how I spend my free time varies.

Jandra

shunoshi
10-11-2007, 02:33 AM
Hmm, my main hobby besides brewing (whether it be mead or beer) is games. All forms of games. For the most part it's video games since many of them are single player, but I also play online and I also love board games. Only other hobbies I really have are hunting and freshwater fishing.

wildaho
10-11-2007, 02:35 AM
My job is to sell great beers, wines and meads. I manage a great little store and we sell and ship to 34 states. Sorry for the plug, but I really like and enjoy my job! (and we have website you can order from too)

So what do I do for a hobby? Well, for the last 12 years or so, I've brewed beer. For the last 5 years or so, I've made mead. And lately, I've been making and enjoying more meads than I have beers. It's a beautiful thing.

Other than that, photography is my other passion. It's just another outlet for my creativity. I can't drink it, but it still gives me satisfaction. Here's a link to my other obsession: http://www.photosig.com/go/users/view?id=185932

Chimerix
10-11-2007, 02:40 AM
Guns. I've been shooting since I was a wee thing, and with only a couple of short breaks, haven't ever stopped. I'm an NRA Training Counselor, which means not only do I teach people to shoot safely, I teach people how to teach people to shoot safely. I don't have enough storage space to qualify as a true gun nut, tho... only about 2 dozen firearms total (rifles, pistols, and shotguns), and maybe 20,000 rounds of ammo. My boo has informed me that 3 gun safes in the bedroom is enough, so I guess I've peaked (until we get a bigger bedroom!)

Will undertake video work for friends, but I'm not sure if that's a hobby or not, since it's also a major component of my day job. Avid reader, TV addict, snorkeler, known to smoke the occasional pipe, and one of the world's 10 biggest fans of a good nap!

shunoshi
10-11-2007, 02:53 AM
My job is to sell great beers, wines and meads. I manage a great little store and we sell and ship to 34 states. Sorry for the plug, but I really like and enjoy my job! (and we have website you can order from too)

Well, come on now. You can't plug your company without actually giving the website itself. It's not guaranteed that I'd be up for buying beer from you (I make pretty good beer myself ;) ), but I may be interested in some mead if it's decent price/quality. ;D

beninak
10-11-2007, 03:13 AM
Besides brewin...I have two dogs that I love getting outside and hiking through the backcountry with. Also a bit of a gamer, mostly chess. Finally, I am trying to learn to play the banjo, but it's slow going so far! :BangHead:

wildaho
10-11-2007, 03:36 AM

Well, come on now. You can't plug your company without actually giving the website itself. It's not guaranteed that I'd be up for buying beer from you (I make pretty good beer myself ;) ), but I may be interested in some mead if it's decent price/quality. ;D

I don't want to take advantage here. I'm not paying for advertising (my boss is cheap) and don't want to abuse my privileges. I'll tease, but if you want details, please send me a private message for full details or look for Bucket o' Brew in the Places category. You'll notice (hopefully) that the only web link I gave was to my hobby!

But that's beside the point. Fermentables are my lifeblood and passion. Photography is still my favorite hobby otherwise. I've even tried to photograph my fermentation journeys but I haven't posted any of those yet. It's hard to capture the rapture of a carboy!

ehanuise
10-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Nice topic :-)
I took on a lot of hobbies in the past, which have lasted a few years each : Roleplaying, Playing Magic the Gathering, kiting, applied electronics, Dj'ing, rollerblading, painting miniatures and wargaming, japanime, comics, ... I'm quite the geek ;D

Current hobbies are :
- Boardgames ! These provide a nice intellectual challenge and are less time consuming than roleplaying. I'll be going to Essen next week, I'm playing a lot of boardgames with friends whenever we can set up a meeting, and am seriously thinking of starting a small boardgames business, using a preorder model similar to GMT's (http://www.gmtgames.com) P500 to minimise risks.
- Live Action Roleplaying (somewhat kin to SCA, however more game-focused than history focused) I have been an active participant in the belgian LARP federation (http://www.larp.be) team, and do play in 2 to 5 games each year
- Video : I shoot video during LARP's, and edit videos to make a DVD out of them. the typical DVD is 1'30 but I've put a couple 2 min. trailers on youtube :)
Here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1789871868764756327) are a couple (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qNure35U2k) of these trailers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ePeTu5G04)

Oskaar
10-11-2007, 05:23 AM
Geez, like I need another hobby, but, yeah, I have some others too.

I'm on the BoD for a couple of not-for-profit Croatian Fraternal/Community Outreach organizations, the Chairman of the IMF Home Mead Maker Competition Committee, I hunt upland game (my GSP pFreddeye retired a couple of years back so I go solo or with a couple of buddies), ocean fishing (deep sea fishing if you want to make it sound exciting, my family comes from a long line of commercial fishermen so the hook and line thing is amusing every once in a while), cooking, eating, drinking, smoking Cuban cigars, spitting, gambling and the lustful pursuit of nubile young females.

Not necessarily in any order of committment, but the chicks, booze and gamblin are right up there!

Cheers,

Oskaar

ucflumberjack
10-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Well this one went better than i thought. I must say, yall are an interesting group. hmm.. Where to start... I used to hate cigars, but last time I got wasted with my friends who likes cigars I had a few and didnt complain so that could grow, I really want to get into shooting (prolly gonna start with a colt 45 and a benelli nova). My girlfriends grandparents do cowbody shooting and I went with then one day and its a blast. Shooting those old single action guns is quiet a different task than shooting a glock. I cant play cards to save my ass. I do rollerblade a little, but mostly cuz im fat and need to lose like 30 pounds. I never was into photography. The only thing to hunt here really is boars and they aren't much fun to hunt, you need a huge gun and some luck that your gun if huge enough to blast a hole in their thick stupid skull. I really do want to make the brewing/meadmaking hobby into a job at some point, but I'm gonna work on a more stable source of income to fund a project that risky before attempting it, so were lookin at at least a decade away from that.

Angus
10-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Hey, now. Where is it legal to shoot Cowboys?

Hobbies: Bookbinding, cooking, brewing, reading, being one of those annoying jerks who constantly corrects other's incorrect use of the Queen's English.

Had to cut down on some of the other hobbies due to time and being physically abused for previously mentioned language correction.

Angus

teljkon
10-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Shooting, beer brewing, snorkaling & scuba diving. Video games and well that dose it. The scuba diving will soon be lobster hunting with a few more dives under me. I did some photography bought a nikon F but let it slip. I havent been shooting in a long time Used to go with my brother and his best friend but weve all been way to busy & the ranges down this way are outrageous. Going shooting is no less than 40$ a head. I shouldnt forget boogey boarding though, havent got out in long one but i still do it from time to time.

And contrare UCF theres always birds plus there better eating than a boar any way.

Texan lesbian convents Angus, not only is it legal its sport!

:happy10:

JephSullivan
10-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey, it's fun to get to know you guys a little better; good topic ucf! I like science and cooking. Hence the homebrewing (and my favorite cooking show being Good Eats). Lately I've been experimenting with bread making and French-style pan sauces.

I also like music. I do some very rudimentary recording from time to time. Here's me singing a barbershop quartet with myself:

When The Saints Go Marching In (http://home.comcast.net/~jeffrey_sullivan/sounds/WhenTheSaintsGoMarchingIn.mp3)

And a piano song I wrote:

Piano Song (http://home.comcast.net/~jephSullivan/PlayfulSong.mp3)

Also I used to do some computer programming for my work, but I don't anymore. Now I just do it for fun. For example, I wrote a program that makes pretty mathematical pictures:

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffrey_sullivan/images/sunbeams300.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffrey_sullivan/images/green_swirl300.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~jeffrey_sullivan/images/flameout300.jpg

smoky
10-11-2007, 12:49 PM
The hobby at which I actually possess expertise is the cultivation and use of rare fruiting and medicinal plants. Cultivation is in my blood and under my fingernails, so brewing is just my latest extension of this art/science. I just recently gave up boxing after 5 years of dedication to the 'sweet science' due to...let's say diminishing returns for my body and mind. Now, I've take up yoga! I suppose all these fall under a more broad category that I call "Alchemy." I think of this as a blend of art, science, and the unknown. But I guess I'm preaching to the choir here in a brewing forum :laughing7:
smoky

wayneb
10-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Alchemy is good! I like that....

I guess my earlier list was incomplete, but if I were to list all the things that I have done in the past as hobbies, I'd fill more than a page. I used to regard myself as a modern day Renaissance Man with interests in everything. I have flown planes, piloted subs, participated in NASA zero-gravity experiments, climbed mountains, been wreck diving, grown gardens of herbs and unusual plants, done audio and video recording and production, played in various historical re-creation groups, etc...

3BlindMice
10-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Hmmm...

1. Photography (Canon DSLRs and a ton of glass)
2. Road Cycling
3. Watch Collecting
4. Car Tuning
5. Avid Audiophile

....and that was before my 18 month old was born. Now I mostly do the parent thing and love it. Occasionally I brew a little here and there.

Cheers :cheers:

WRATHWILDE
10-12-2007, 06:44 AM
OK,
Another Photographer Here, still working the Kodak Film with a Canon T-90. Favorite film by far Kodak T-Max 3200, I prefer informal portrait photography. You can see my photography here (http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/wrathwilde/Jereds%20Photography/), password "gotmead" (all lowercase) Warning some partial nudity... may not be completely safe for work. Please do not copy or redistribute images as this is my private online portfolio, not a public one. A side note - some of the indoor B&W photos were lit by a single Candle, using 3200 speed film and a very steady hand. The Two pictures I do appear in were tripod/timer the rest hand held.

By the way wildaho, good work, as soon as I can scrape up $6000 I'll be going digital with a Canon EOS-1D and a wide angle zoom lens, probably the 24-105 f/4L, possibly the 24-70 f/2.8L. I wish canon made a 28-105 f/2.8L lens, like the Vivitar Series One I have on my T-90. That lens range is good for 99% of my photography and nice and fast.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

wildaho
10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks Wrathwilde! I've been using a Canon 300D for a couple of years now and I still only have the funky 18-55 (28-90 equiv) kit lens. I really need to invest in better glass. I keep promising myself a 17-40 f/4L, some kind of macro in the 100m range and something in the 200mm-300mm range. But somehow, I keep spending my hobby money on honey instead!

ehanuise
10-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Maybe someday you'll manage to have one hobby financially support the other (or even better get money from your meads/brews _and_ photographs ) 8)

Johnnybladers
10-12-2007, 07:51 PM
Lovely ladies well "captured" Wrathewilde. :notworthy:

My hobbies include, archery and firearm hunting, nearly all aspects af firearm ownership (shooting, light competition, reloading.... UCF I've got just the pistol in mind for boar and it will put in the large hole needed, 454 casull that I'd love to hunt boar with) some gardening(mostly aimed at fermenting :drunken_smilie:) and my main other hobby would be custom crafting knives(just delivered two today so maybe I can finally get out in my treestand for the archery whitetail season).

ucflumberjack
10-12-2007, 08:53 PM
i really wish i could sell the results of one of my hobbies for enough money to pay for the hobby or even to make a living. i was thinking about getting into furniture building, but i dont really have anywhere i could apprentice and it would be expensive to learn the hard way..... eventually i think itd be cool to sell mead but that a long ways down the road....

Oskaar
10-13-2007, 06:20 AM

I guess my earlier list was incomplete, but if I were to list all the things that I have done in the past as hobbies, I'd fill more than a page. I used to regard myself as a modern day Renaissance Man with interests in everything. I have flown planes, piloted subs, participated in NASA zero-gravity experiments, climbed mountains, been wreck diving, grown gardens of herbs and unusual plants, done audio and video recording and production, played in various historical re-creation groups, etc...

Heh heh heh. I wrote several of the algorithims that ran: JTIDS, NTDS, MK40/ADCAP Torpedo, Towed Array, SLQ-17, AN-SPS 52, etc. when I was with Hughes Aircraft! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

wayneb
10-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Heh heh heh. I wrote several of the algorithims that ran: JTIDS, NTDS, MK40/ADCAP Torpedo, Towed Array, SLQ-17, AN-SPS 52, etc. when I was with Hughes Aircraft! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar

Man, we gotta talk at this year's IMF -- that is, if you have ANY free time available!! :laughing7:

teljkon
10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
That picture of heather joged my memory I used to blow glass. I cant say it was a hobby as much as a lost love. Back to the picture, thats a gorgeous piece she has If you could ever get a color photo for me that would be tits. Is it even glass or was it clay. Glass is my favorite medium both to view and to creat with.

ehanuise
10-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Mhhh teljkon you let the devil out of the bottle...
Now you're gonna be harassed by everyone asking you to blow carboys to insane custom sizes and shapes :tongue3:

smoky
10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Yes, I would like an swirly colored, conical fermenter made of glass that holds up to 15 gallons :toothy10: :color: I can offer you $30.00 for this masterpiece :laughing7: but not because I don't value it higher, just 'cuz it's all I can afford. What say you? ;D

teljkon
10-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't have the equipment to do such im limited to bead making as thats all my budget will allow. :sad5: The really really sad part of it is that I payed out a 1000 dollars to take lessons and the guy riped me off for the same price i could have got killer equipment, live and learn. Then he didnt want to teach me and made every excuse why it was my fault, all and all he had no buisness taking money to teach a class. Its sad though that some peps are like that after I took his class I learned through the grape vine that most of his own family didnt like him jezz I wonder why. He riped me off and stifiled my path to artistic expresion. :angry5:

To make the fermenter you want smokey it would take pro equipment the kiln alone would cost more than ive made in the past three years! maybe when I win the lotto.

WRATHWILDE
10-16-2007, 01:06 AM
It was Glass, I don't think there are any color pictures of it, but I'll look.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

wildaho
10-17-2007, 01:44 AM
We manufacture outdoor garden Lamp with umbrella, if interested, may find an attachment picture, we can send quotes, or perhaps you may visit the following link: http://ihs.meric.hk/rforum.php/130203.jpg. Thanks. Michael Li
michaelli18@i-cable.com

Ummm. Am I the only one that thinks is the main job rather than the hobby?. Just curious...

wayneb
10-17-2007, 10:27 AM
No, you're not. ;)

ucflumberjack
10-17-2007, 12:35 PM
dude..... dont advertise on here. if you want to advertise speak to vicky and im sure yall can sort that out.

teljkon
10-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks wrath!

AsharaLyn
10-20-2007, 11:18 AM

Cheers,

Oskaar

Did you ever work on ALFS? I worked on the 3rd redesign when I was an engineer for a couple of years...

wayneb
10-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Which ALFS? Raytheon's ALFS? This kinda gets off the hobby topic a bit... ::)

Yo momma
10-20-2007, 07:48 PM
Well to get started, I play semipro paintball. That's probaby #1 with fresh water fishing pulling a close 2nd. I live in Michigan where youare surrounded by water. If you don't fish here then something is wrong with you. :D
I love to nature hike with my family and 2 dogs. I have a German Shorthair Pointer and a Redbone Coon Hound. They are seriously high energy like my self and can handle all I throw at them. Love the outdoors and putting a pink splat on your dome! :laughing7:
:cheers:

Oskaar
10-20-2007, 10:15 PM
No I didn't get to work on ALFS.

My projects were as listed below, plus:

HADR, LASR, TPQ37, TPQ38, plus several NATO and SEATO projects that were "Red Stripe" projects.

Cheers,

Oskaar

AsharaLyn
10-23-2007, 09:08 PM
I worked on the version of ALFS that went out in 2001ish, with a bunch of guys that came from Raytheon. We actually worked for a now-bought-by-someone-big company called Digital System Resources. We did the software for the new release, and some of the interface work. I don't actually know much about any of it, since I was an entry level system engineer, which is a fancy name for 'person in charge of keeping track of changes to spec documents'.

teljkon
10-24-2007, 12:52 AM
Whats this unusual coralation between mead and enginering. Not just that but tinkering in general. I know Smokey is into botany. Two peps build harps which I know cant be to easy. JephSullivan does the math pictures preaty tecnical based stuff. All analitical order based, left side of the bean activities intresting.

wildaho
10-24-2007, 03:45 AM
Teljkon,

My initial training was in electrical engineering and I drifted into programming some years later. I gave up the corporate world later (with a big F.U. to my boss) and bought a bar. It made me happier. But one of the things that made me do that was that I had started brewing beer a few years before. Now I manage a beer store and turn people on to different flavors and experiences. I don't miss the pressure of the bar but I do miss the range I had at the bar (26 taps of very tasty micros and imports and over 120 different bottles).

I love to tweak and perfect. It's just so much more satisfying to do it with something that I love rather than doing it for the big bucks. "Here, try this" instead of "gee boss, is it good enough for you?"

But I still love tweaking and getting all the variables under control. Someday, I will reach the nirvana of fermentation. And I can only hope that I will be able to share that with you and everyone else on this board...

Wade

archae13
10-24-2007, 05:33 AM
OI!

My 3rd post.

I am 37.5.

I play chess on a international team (ICC) and individaully(Colorado).

I write code - OO mostly, but I have developed some learning algorithms and nural networx that I have applied to metrics output for medical-device companies (bread-n-butter) and telephony(the fricken bread). I didn't hack Coclorado Rockies Tix. :drunken_smilie: Whatever - no smiley.

I am an Eagle Scout, and I work with my son (7 yrs) in this exploit. As an eagle ('85), I feel I can say that the bullshit stance BSA (Boy Scouts of America) has taken on gay participation is criminal - I didn't want my boy in it because BSA was treating gay men as septic to boys and, IMHO, was rending the strands that connect a community.

Men and women, gay, bi, and straight, can be a co-hesive unit unless artifical boundaries are 'established' between what is socially corrrect and poliically expident.

Just in case ---

I was made Eagle in 1985 at the age of 15.

I have a wife of 10+ years, and 2 children.

I am pleased to mead you all,

CW

wildaho
10-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Welcome archae13! Glad to mead you too (love that phrase!) :icon_salut:

Come to think of it, I do have some other hobbies/fun things that I do beyond fermenting/tasting good things and photography.

I'm also a caver and enjoy finding twisty tight passages that show mother natures insides like no one else will ever see!

I love finding hot springs that no one else knows about. I love running naked through the woods! I know, that's more information than you all wanted but natural hot water does that to me. The smell of sulfur and the feel of sand up the crack of your ass will make you feel mother nature in ways you've never thought about before!

I used to enjoy fishing a lot too but haven't had the time to do it lately. I miss it. Especially this time of year, it's always so good when the weather changes like this for the fall. Fall and ice-off in the spring are the time for the 6 pound trout!

wayneb
10-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Let me welcome you, too, archae13! As you've probably noticed, we're a congenial bunch who mead regularly online!! ;D

And Wade, as someone still doing engineering to pay the bills, I salute you for your willingness and courage to pull the plug and take up your true calling! I'm considering such a move myself, actually doing more than toying with the idea of a commercial meadery, but it is difficult to take the plunge when mine is the only income for a family of five. I'm hoping when the kids leave home (just about 5 years away at this point -- barring any unforeseen problems), I can leave the aerospace biz behind and do what I truly love, make mead! I'm like you; I like to have complete control of all the variables, and I like the combo of analytics and artistry that fermentation allows. It's basically stimulating BOTH sides of the brain -- far more satisfying than taking a paycheck for developing requirements documents!!

smoky
10-24-2007, 01:15 PM
teljkon, I think wayneb made a good point about it "stimulating Both sides of the brain" and this likely explains why it is an enjoyable hobby for people that use one side predominantly in their day jobs. Furthermore, I feel that brewing touches on something very primitive in us 'advanced' animals which feeds an urge that goes largely unsatisfied in modern society and modern jobs. For me personally, the final aspect that I enjoy so much is the necessity for good "gut instincts" or what they call "listening to the stomach chakra" over in the east. This is a sense that is outside of logic and science, but when used in conjunction with them, has truly wonderful results. Allright, mystical-alchemical rant over :color: :D
smoky

Teufelhund
10-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi!

Well, I'm building a model of the U.S.S. Constitution for now. You know, the 38" one with 2 bloody miles of string rigging and 80 little hand-painted cannons. I also grow and breed orchids and other tropicals. I actually have a Cattelya hybrid that no one else in the world has, so there may be a Martinii out there one day if it lives. Also big into organic gardening, survivalist training, self sufficiency, raising & breeding German Shepherds that hate the local power company guys, gourmet cooking (I'm a Chef), bow hunting and martial arts. I have degrees in botany/plant taxonomy, aquaculture, business mgt., and a culinary degree.
Now it appears I've gone up and over the high wall. You know, half a seabag. I'm getting more involved with mead making. As a married man, I really have to ask myself, Self, how cold do you think the shed is these nights? Did I fix that leak? Will the faithful hund keep me warm? Will the neighbors see me dragging my sleeping bag out there? Then it's the 'Here Baby! Try it! it's GREAT stuff!'. So she tried it. No shed quite yet.
You know, I don't think it'll be that bad really. At least when she drinks my (OUR ,'scuse me), mead, she doesn't scowl at the deer heads..... :cheers:

DD

Oskaar
10-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Funny that people think about left brain when it comes to the scientific application of techniques and processes to mead, wine or beer making.

My major was microbiology with a minor in chemistry. But I always test dead center on the brain orientation tests and according to the girls I've dated I'm an archtype Taurus. Music, art, food, poetry . . . so making mead, wine, beer, etc is my artistic outlet not that I'm not in a band.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Leonora
10-26-2007, 02:35 AM
Hobbies. Hmm. The list of what is current:

I have a wonderful horse that I spend as much time as I can with. She is a Friesian/Shire cross. I can't ride yet, long story. But that will come soon. We do a lot of ground work and she is a great friend.

I play a lot of SCA (Laurel, Pelican, Baroness). That's what got me started brewing. Teach a lot of different skills in SCA settings. Live in the Outlands.

I do a lot of fiber things. Wool fleece to spun yarn then natural dyed. I then don't do anything with it. Sort of starting to knit a bit, but mostly enjoy the spinning and dyeing. In the middle of processing a fleece that is a light gray and a dark gray. I am spinning up enough wool so that a friend of mine who loves to knit can knit me a sweater. I want this cool Celtic knotwork pattern with the dark sweater with the design worked very subtly in the lighter gray. Just started playing with alpaca, nice fiber. Steadfastly refusing to learn how to weave, though. I would like to have a nice hand-spun, hand woven blanket/cloak. But I know folks who weave, so I don't have to!

Read a lot, mostly mysteries, SciFi, various history books on topics diverse but Medieval time period. Right now enjoying a book on "Leechcraft".

Herbalist both modern and Medieval. Most anything herb related I do, except for grow the stuff that gets you put in jail.

Forge blades a bit, dreaming of having my own knife forge. Do a bit of glass bead making. Do a bit of wood working.

Middle Eastern dancing (belly dancing) now and again. Just joined a Medieval Choir that is a lot of fun. We perform every couple of months.

Sew, mostly for garb in the SCA. Enjoy cooking, but done with SCA feasts for a while yet. Decided to work on an extract beer recipe based on historical info. Do not want to have to get the equipment to go to AG beers. Not that much of a fan of beer.

whew. But the main focus of my hobby life is my horse, my fiber, my various herbal projects, and my mead.

It's a good life!

Leonora

BlŠinger
10-26-2007, 11:55 AM
I love the outdoors and spend more time than money out there, but I have still spent a pretty penny.

I also enjoy firearms... plinking, hunting, paper punching, defensive, etc.
Two of my favorites is the G36 (Glock) and the AR15 (RRA).

Aside from that, I love to read and spend many months out of the year with my face head in a book.

I also enjoy horses, but have not had one in over 10 years now. :sad5:

Johnnybladers
10-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Forge blades a bit, dreaming of having my own knife forge.

A lady who forges blades? :love10: I'm starting to swoon. All of my knives have been made by the stock removal method (grinding away what is between me and the knife I see in the flat stock). I tried to forge weld steel cable into a blade once, but did very poorly. I need to try that again, but work and home ownership really cut into my available time.

ucflumberjack
10-26-2007, 11:13 PM
I always have been fascinated by the knives that people make. I dont have the tools space time or money to get into that for a while though. maybe ill just do some reading on the subject...

vanoob
10-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Interesting group of folks. I see most enjoy a wide array of "stimuli".

Computers were once a big hobby. After a decade of software development, I'm feeling burnout and use computers mostly as a tool.

I love the outdoors and nature in general. Gardening and growing fruit and veggies is what got me interested in fermenting. Mountain biking, snowboarding, inline skating, adrenaline rushes, and dangerous activity in general get me excited. Over the last year I got really interested in off-road vehicles (Jeeps) and have built a friggin' crazy rock crawler. I also own quite a few guns and enjoy shooting. My black powder cap 'n ball revolver is a particular favorite.

storm1969
10-28-2007, 05:49 PM
The whole "left brain" thing...

My degree was in Astronomy... With a minor in computer science.

Truthfully I feel that wine/mead making is an expression of my artistic side... Feeling that the chemistry aspects of brewing are like an artist knowing his/her tools... What you do with them is what makes the mead/art.

Brian

JephSullivan
10-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey ssteufelhund!

Well, I'm building a model of the U.S.S. Constitution for now. You know, the 38" one with 2 bloody miles of string rigging and 80 little hand-painted cannons.

I just got back from a walk during my lunch break in downtown Boston, and I passed by Old Ironsides. You're not from around here are you?

I snapped a picture. This thread has made me aware of all the photography talent present, so I apologize in advance for the terrible camera phone shot. ;)

http://home.comcast.net/~Jeffrey_Sullivan/images/ironsides.jpg

(The Bunker Hill Monument can be seen in to the left.)

teljkon
10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
Funny thing I guess its a point of view I see brewing as a fairly technical stuff. On the list of hobbies a little more technical than most. But i can see the art to it. It is kinda 70-30 to me leaning more to the technical side. Of course this is just my opinion.

Gaanon
10-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Hobbies...WOW. Well, I guess I'll just stick with the main one. Chainmaille. Everything from replica armor to club/dance wear to...well...that stuff you wouldn't show your mother. ;) It's become an obsession with me. And in it's own way...that's whats drawn me to mead.

Gaanon

GrantLee63
11-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Uhhhhhh ..... let's see:

Civil War History
Amateur Radio (Callsign: AA8YO)
Shooting Sports
Hunting
Photography
Astronomy

And now that I've moved and have some property:

BEE KEEPING !!!!!
Orchardist
Gardening
Hiking
More hunting
More shooting sports

- GL63

jeckwillson
02-23-2010, 06:04 AM
Actually I am working for a software company, other than that I love to dance and sing a lot.