PDA

View Full Version : New to brewing. some questions

kingt2
10-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Hello all, i am new to the community, so excuse me if i am incorrect about anything i'm still learning.

I have a couple one gallon carboys and some co2 release valves, as i figured i would start by brewing small amounts first, then after i get the hang of it, move on to "bigger and better" things.
i have a couple questions though...

I notice that many people boil their honey-water mixture, and some do not -at least they do not indicate so in their descriptions- is this a good method of disolving one's honey? assuming one allowed it to cool to a sufficiently low temp before adding the yeast, of course.

also, after fermentation is complete [i've decided to start with a quick 2-3 week pyment] if racked out of the carboy into a container without the yeast, but still sealed off from air/contamination, will it survive, or is it necessary to refrigerate after the final racking?

and lastly, Does anyone have any personal recommendations/recipes for quick 1 gallon [i only have 1 gallon carboys so it needs to fit into one or two of them] brews? they would be much appreciated.

Any and all help is much appreciated,
Thank you,
Travis

akueck
10-11-2007, 10:31 PM
You can boil, you can not boil, it's up to you. You'll get more prods in the no-boil direction here, since it's generally acknowledged that the boiling doesn't actually add anything, but it does do away with a lot of aromatic compounds in the honey. If you're worried about getting the honey to mix in, just heat your water to 90-100 F and that should be warm enough to aid dissolving but cool enough to preserve the goodness of the honey. Or do it all at room temperature and give your arms a workout! (or use a drill...)

As long as you properly sanitize your new container, your mead should be fine there.

I'm a fan of the <a href="http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=412&topic=1185.0">quick cyser recipe</a> that <a href="http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=412&topic=4058.0">I started with.</a> I also started a friend on this recipe, but without the chemicals and 71B yeast instead, and it turned out well for him too. Yeast love apples so these get done in a hurry, but leave lots of room for the inevitable explosion the first night. :)

Welcome to mead and have fun!

Brewbear
10-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Welcome to your newest and strongest addiction!
You can always try the Ancient orange (Joe's), tends to take a bit linger than the cyser but it is well worth the wait.
AKueck - did you age the quick cyser? How was it after some time in the bottle?

Cheers,
Brewbear

akueck
10-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I think the cyser made it almost to the 6 month mark before it was all gone (it was only a gallon after all). It was excellent, truly good. Honestly it's my best-received mead so far, even though it was the first.

kingt2
11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Say, thanks guys

so i take it that those who boil the water only do so so that the honey is mixed in to the greatest extent, but that the same can be done with a sufficient amount of use-of-a-spoon, then?

i may just have to start with that cyser, it looks [and sounds apparently] like a quick, enjoyable first project.

thanks again,
Travis

Johnnybladers
11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I gather that many of the "boil recipes" came from beer brewers who boil for various reasons. Many view boiling as sanitizing the must. There are some very informative threads expounding upon the virtues of both heat and no heat methods that I'd recommend you search and read. Good luck