• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fermentation stopped?

Barrel Char Wood Products

HoneyBear

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2007
Hello all, I started a traditional mead on October 5, which was bubbling at 13 a minute but three days ago stopped.

5 pounds Clover honey
3 pounds Alfalfa honey
3 tsp nutrient
1 1/2 tsp energizer
D47 yeast activated according to package
water to 3 gal
SG 1.150

The gravity right now is 1.090 and all activity has stopped since three days ago. It smells like honey and there is a definate honey taste, not much alcohol. The temp of my cellar was a constant 70 degrees is my yeast at it's limit? I can't get the calculator to work for me. Any help would be appreciated.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
You are under 10% ABV, so D47 ought to take you further than that, but you started at a fairly high gravity for that yeast. If you didn't aerate the must well before pitching, and depending on the kind of nutrients that you used, and for that matter depending on the pH of your must currently, it is certainly possible for your fermentation to "stick" there.

Can you measure pH? Are you sure that ALL activity has stopped - was your SG 1.090 three days ago, too? Without staggering the addition of nutrients, traditional meads can slow way down during the course of fermentation. Three days isn't enough of a time to wait to be sure that things are stalled, instead of just slow.

You should also take care to ensure that you have a good seal on your fermenter... it is possible that CO2 is still being produced, but at a slow enough rate that most of it is leaking around an opening in your fermenter's seals.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
This is typical of D47 and other yeasts when they are dropped into a super-high gravity must without rehydrating in Go-Ferm and atemperative inoculation. You'll need to make up a starter of either EC-1118 or K1V-1116 with a starting gravity of about 1.100. Make about two liters and get it roaring. Rehydrate the yeast with Go-Ferm (which is what you should consider doing going forward when pitching into high gravity musts)

Once the starter is going strong, siphon off an equal amount of the must from the carboy and add the starter to it. Allow it to stand for 15 minutes and then add the entire amout back into the carboy. Watch it like a hawk, and when you see signs of fermentation add 4 grams of Fermaid K dissolved in 100 ml of bottled water.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

HoneyBear

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2007
I reracked into another carboy last night, It's bubbling now about two a minute.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well, as I said before I've seen D47 and other yeasts do this, so I wouldn't be surprised if the airlock activity you're seeing is due to the degassing of the must from transfer.

If the airlock activity doesn't kick up and increase in rapidity then you're pretty much stuck. Check your gravity to see what kind of movement there is and let us know.

Cheers,

Oskaar

HoneyBear

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 12, 2007
10/13/07 repitched with EC-1118 on SG 1.090
Today SG 1.040 and still going.

Thanks for the help! :cheers:

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns