PDA

View Full Version : Green Teas vs Black Teas

Teufelhund
10-17-2007, 03:29 PM
I've noticed alot of brewers using green teas. What are the tannin differences? I'm sure that the different teas would affect the flavor. Does green tea have a more mellow, for lack of a better word, flavor than a black tea? What are the effects on fermentation as far as rate of fermentation, etc...if any? Do you need more green tea/black tea for tannin content?

Thanks folks!

DD

youngmeadman
10-17-2007, 06:52 PM
The first thing I am sure someone will say is why use tea at all? If you want tannins, there are many other options. However, I being more so of a natural brewer (i have only used nutrient and it has only been for to batches) use green tea to provide tannins, and grapes in some recipes or both(again depending on recipe). Although I have never used black, green tea works wonderful, and using so little you can never taste it, so don't worry at all about it. I am sure black tea is the same way! I would however recommend green tea for I have used it with success and I know there are many tannins and anti-oxidants in it, plus I like to drink green tea, so I always have some around, and its really healthy for you!

Thats my two cents, not worth a nickle...

YoungMeadman

Scott Horner
10-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Useless trivia here but.....

white, green, and black tea are all from the same plant. The only differance between them is how much exposure to air they have had. The darker the color the more exposure to air and therefore the greater ammounts of tannens and caffene in the tea. So if you are going for tanins Black tea is the way to go.

Scott

beninak
10-17-2007, 11:10 PM
I used black tea in a 1 gal batch I made just because I love the flavor of black tea, drink it alot, and know that it goes great with honey, and therefore would probably be good in a mead. I was right! of course, the tannins helped the mead clear very fast, nutrients speeded up fermentation and anti-oxidants were an added bonus as well.

If you are just looking for tannins and don't care for the flavor of tea, there are probably better additives for you. I really love the vanilla/black tea I made and will probably experiment with tea again in the future.

storm1969
10-18-2007, 10:33 PM
I tend to use black tea as a tannin addition to most of my meads. About 1 really strong cup of tea per 3 to 5 gallon batch. Can't taste it, and it works well.