PDA

View Full Version : New Bee here...

Adam_MA
10-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Hey everyone. As you can see from my username, my name is Adam, and I live in Ma.

A friend has been discouraging me from even trying to make a mead, because he personally doesn't like the taste, so I went out and bought a bottle of it the other day, and WOW! I love the stuff. The high alcohol, and nice sweet taste reminds me of a good port, and I like port! Of course honey is my favorite sweetener, so it only makes sense that I would love mead!

I decided to give it a try, and with all the recommendations here it seemed that the JAO would be the best to start with. I stayed to the recipe, but the one thing I did have to change was how to cut up the orange. I couldn't get the pieces into the bottle without making them just a bit smaller. True to the recipe, about an hour later it started to foam up, and bubble away. It's almost winter here in the north east, and my house will not see 70 again until late spring. I do keep a number of tropical trees, so I have a special "green room" in my basement that is set up with lights, heat and humidity. That room is the only one that will stay above 70, so I ended up putting it into that room. The recipe noted to keep it in a dark place, so what I ended up doing was taking an extra cardboard box that I had laying around, and turning it upside down over the carboy. It will be dark, and in that room will stay around 72 degrees, so I think it should do just fine. I do have to say, I had an extra packet of champaign yeast in the fridge, and I was tempted to use it, but I stuck to the recipe and I am anxious to see how it turns out.

I wanted to take a quick second here before I end this to thank all of the members who participate here for the great posts in the forum, and of course to thank the site admin(s) for the great job they do. This is a great place, and I'm sure I will be asking some questions.

Adam

wildaho
10-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Welcome to the addiction Adam, and to the site!

ucflumberjack
10-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Welcome! Have you made any other fermented beverage before? The thing with mead is that anything that uses honey for the main fermentable sugar is called mead, so mead has an enermous variety of flavor possibilities. Im not sure how much youve read but the more you do read the more you will see how much can be done with mead. I still go back through the brewlog to read what people have tried and how it worked. The recipes in the patrons section are good because alot of them tend to be very detailed about methods and ingredients and tend to be updated with results. Well anyways WELCOME!

Adam_MA
10-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the welcomes!

To answer your question, this year is my first year making any fermented beverages. I have been reading up on it for a couple of months now, and just recently I found out that a friend of mine has been making beer, wine, cider, etc for quite some time. We went to the local brewers supply store (only a 15 minute drive from my house) and got some supplies. The following weekend we went to the orchard and picked up some fresh apple cider, and started some cider going. Since then, I have taken a fond interest in making some different things.

I do a lot of home food preservation, and this past summer I canned up a bunch of freshly picked blueberries in medium syrup. I have been trying to figure out what to do with them. Any thoughts?

JephSullivan
10-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Hey! It's good to find a fellow Massachusan...um...Massachusettsian....uh...person from Massachusetts! I'm from Quincy. It's nice to get in touch with locals so we can let each other know about good deals on honey and other yummy ingredients. What orchard did you go to? Was the cider good? I've been looking for a source of inexpensive honey. I'll let you know if I find anything.

I haven't done anything with blueberries yet myself, but I know there are some blueberry cyser recipes floating around here. A forum search should turn up some good ones.

Adam_MA
10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
WOOHOO another MassHole! ;D
I am up near Burlington myself, but I do know quincy quite well. I actually used to work in Braintree. As for the honey, there is a local beekeeper close to me, but on a hunch I checked out Whole Foods in Bedford. They had a 5lb jar of all natural clover honey for like $18, and it's from NH. I have family in Maine, and when I go up there, they have a couple of local beekeepers that will sell you completely raw honey. Not messed with at all. So raw that it will basically stay in a solid form until you heat it up. I swear that's the best stuff you can get. It reminds me of helping my grandfather tend to his bees when I was a kid, and he would reach into the hive and break me off a chunk and I would eat it just like that.

The orchard I went to was http://www.carlsonorchards.com/ From what I can tell, they are one of the largest cider operations around. They press cider every day, and you can get it as fresh as can be right in their store. I have been to a couple of other orchards in the area, and the cider they have for sale is actually from Carlson's. They do have 2 different types. They have their 100% natural and then they have some that has Potassium Sorbate added. Of course the one with the Potassium Sorbate will never ferment, so make sure you get the 100% natural. I have also found that you can buy the all natural stuff at Whole Foods, but it's a couple bucks cheaper at the orchard. They also have this nice Cranberry Mac cider that I have 1.5 gallons of going now too.

JephSullivan
10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Oh yeah, the Whole Foods markets down this way are socked with Carlson's un-sorbated cider. I'm going to have to try fermenting it now. ;D

I also have family in Maine (the in-laws). That honey you're talking about sounds great. Would you tell me where these local beekeepers are? I promise it will be our little secret! :angel10: