PDA

View Full Version : Energizer and Nutrients: Whats the Difference?

Teufelhund
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Looked all over, couldn't find an answer or comparison. Thought about asking Oskaar offline so I wouldn't look like a dumbass, but thought, well, I already am, so it doesn't matter. :laughing7:
So what's the difference? Are they used at different times of fermentation? I noticed in a previous post on aeration that both were used to start.
Thanks!

DD

punkideas
10-30-2007, 10:59 PM
The short answer is it depends. Unfortunately, generic nutrient and energizer are used interchangeably, so it isn't easy to say. If your nutrient and energizer have ingredients listed, you may want to post those, and you will get a better answer. The consensus on this board is that Fermaid-K and GoFerm, along with a little DAP added at various times is the way to go (search SNA for more info).

Aside from that, my guess would be the best way to use them if you don't know what's in them is to use slightly more than is recommended (the listed dosage is usually for wine musts, which is more nutrient rich than mead musts) and split it 50/50 between end of lag phase and 1/3 sugar break.

Oskaar
10-31-2007, 01:38 AM
In my experience yeast nutrient is generally a mixture containing mostly diammonium phosphate and a lesser amount of food-grade urea. Yeast energizer ranges in composition but generally consists of diammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulphate, and vitamin B.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

Angus
10-31-2007, 11:15 AM
With respect to when to use them, there is no single answer. If you run through Oskaar's, Wayne's, other experienced Mead makers recipes, you will see that nutrient additions can occur at different times and different levels. I suggest you run through the discussion on the ABC Group brew to see why we did not add certain nutrients at times when they were needed in other recipes.

Angus