PDA

View Full Version : JOA cleared but still bubbling.

Suzy
11-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Hi :wave:

I'm really hoping this isn't a completely stupid question, I've been searching for an answer and can't find one, so;

My JAO is now 2 months old and has cleared beautifully, however I'm still getting an air bubble every minute. Since its clear its time to bottle, but if its air bubbling its still fermenting? (bottle bombs anyone :confused1:)

So which is the best way to tell when mead has finished fermenting - is it when it clears or when it stops bubbling? Or is it like beer/cider and its best to do Hydrometer readings and when they stay the same over a few days you can bottle?

Thankyou, Suzy.

wayneb
11-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Hydrometer or refractometer readings are the best way to go. Once the reading is stable over the course of a week or so, then you can assume fermentation has stopped. CO2 can still slowly percolate out of solution for weeks after fermentation has completed, especially if you did not de-gas the must.

Yo momma
11-03-2007, 01:29 PM
How do you degas? Stir the lees being that is where its coming from?

Wolfie
11-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Racking would certainly help to degas. I know you don't want to kick up those lees now, but stirring the must very lightly would also release the pent up CO2, just don't scrape to bottom.

On second thought--is there any need to degas before bottling?
I know that degassing aids fermentation, but if fermentation is finished why bother with the extra step?

good luck ;)

~Wolfie

Suzy
11-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Ok, Thanks for the replies;

I didn't degas and I haven't got a wine thief yet to do hydrometer readings (but I can get one this week).

I'd be happy to rack it but the only thing that worries me is the gap left from racking it off the lees and fruit. I know you're not meant to leave much of a gap, does it matter if its only a week or so? Or should I do the marble trick?

Or am I better off following Joe's directions of its its clear its ready to bottle? He's very emphatic about not touching it and when its clear its ready to bottle.

Sorry I need so much hand holding! I've only done beers/ciders/lemonades before - they are so basic to do compared to wine and mead. I'm reading as much as I can and have got a couple books on the way but it's still a lot of (sometimes conflicting) information to take in.

Cheers, Suzy.

Yo momma
11-03-2007, 08:36 PM
I can tell you that when I did my first JOA, I did 2 gallons. I racked it out when it was clear for it clear some more. The fruit did not drop so some of the lees was still on the fruit causing it not to be clear enough to bottle. So I racked and waited a few days then bottled and it was fine. You could wait until the fruit drops because that is in the recipe also. But if your as impatient with the wait as I was :snorting: then rack it and wait 2 days then bottle. :cheers:

Suzy
11-04-2007, 03:44 AM
Sounds like a plan :icon_thumright:

I'll go and get racking equipment tomorrow and rack it into a clean demijohn :toothy10: