• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Airlock timing question - how many bubbles per sec?

Barrel Char Wood Products

lurch

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2007
Ok,

just a quick and hopefully simple question.

@24 hours I see 1 bubble in the airlock every 3 to 4 seconds is this an indication of slow fermentation?

lurch

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2007
Ok

12# of fireweed raw honey

4 gal spring water

wlp720 sweet meed yeast added to a starter consisting of
>>>3 cups water, 1 cup honey, 1 tblspoon yeast nutrient<<<

4 lbs crushed pears

1 vanilla bean

I started with the startert 2 days before pitching

to a 6.5 gal carboy I added water, honey, pears, and vannila.

Shook the heck out of the carboy to oxignate and pitched the yeast slurry.

Carboy kept in closet at 70 deg or so.

All items cleaned with a combination of star san and b-h-t

I cant really afford much in the area of test equipment (new baby takes precident) so no idea of sg at this time.

For the visual there is a 2 inch thick layer of foam on the top of the must and 1 bubble in the air lock every 3 to 4 seconds.

I have read in mead maker the instructions on fixing slow fermentation and have prepared the required ingredients. With the addition of adding 1 lb of additonal honey and airaiting with my never before used wand mixer (much better than a blender and easer to sanitize)

I have not added this in as i await your feed back.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Aerate this twice a day for the next three days and see where you are bubbler speed wise.

Your starter had way too much nutrient in it for the yeast, and that may actually have caused the starter to be less effective than it should be. Your starter also does not need to be going longer than 24 hours. Hold off on doing anything else to this for the next couple of days, and let the aeration work it's magic.

Give the must 5 grams of nutrient tomorrow evening, and keep aerating. Report back.

Hope this helps,

Oskaar

lurch

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2007
sorry it took so long to get back but paitence is a virtue.

I ended up adding a pound of highly arated honey and 1 pint of water and re shook the hell out of the carboy. this picked up the pace some what. Its a fermenting along nicely. I figure im just going to let it set on primary till it poops out. Should be interesting :)

lurch

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2007
Just an update and a quick q

Closet smells like bread (must be a good sign) :). Bubble in airlock now at 1 every 4 to 5 sec but thats still over 15 per min. So i figure im ok there for being at day 13 of primary fermentation.

now the quick q

I have read that I should leave on primary for aprox 30 days is this correct? My brewer brother in law will only will go 5 tp 8 days with his beer on primary. But i fugure there are marked diffrences between beer fermentation time and mead.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
It's best if you don't worry about a schedule. Leave it in the primary until it's finished with the primary fermentation. That could take 30 days, it could take 20 or 60. Let your hydrometer be your guide. :)

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
The number of days doesn't mean that much actually. Leave it till fermentation finishes or it is to the desired level, this can average between 14-30 days but could be as fast as 8 or as long as two months.

oops--Akueck beat me to it. :p

Quick draw newbee help! :boxing:

lurch

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 10, 2007
Well Primary fermentation finally pooped out.

I racked off from my 6 gal to my 5 gal carboy.

Question.

I noticed a nearly clear layer at the top about 4.5 inches deep after racking is this the alcohol floating on top? It did disperse after an hour or so.

I took a small taste and I do believe I got it right. The alcohol levels were definaly there but with no medicinal taste ( Kinda hit the back of the throat like a watered down shot of vodca) But with no testing equipment it will be a while before I get the percentage. Oh it tasted really good even though all I took was a small sip. I Cant wait to bottle in 4 months or so.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns