View Full Version : Thank you creator of Dangerous Cyser!!

11-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I would like to thank the creator of the "Dangerous Cyser" Recipe. A slight variation (Titled "Damn Good Cyser") just won me 2nd place best of show in the New England Regional Homebrew Competition (250 entries!). Not to bad for my 3rd mead ever! (yes, I am shamlessly bragging). http://www.bfd.org/nerhbc/

I plan to celebrate by becoming a patron of gotmead!

11-09-2007, 11:30 PM
CONGRATS!!!!! That was my first mead and the one that has gotten the best response from friends. I think the ale yeast really helps it mature alot faster into something more drinkable.

11-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Hey I was looking for the recipe and couldnt find it in the search tool--could someone post the link?

11-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Congrats! Great work. :icon_thumleft:

I am going to have to do this one (http://www.gotmead.com/component/option,com_rapidrecipe/page,viewrecipe/recipe_id,62/Itemid,6/) also.

Any other hints, or just follow as indicated?

11-10-2007, 12:03 PM
The modifications to the Dangerous Cyser that I made were that I used dried champagne yeast (2 packs) with fresh apple cider and 15 pounds of local wildflower honey (I did add sulfites since the cider was not pasturized). I then sweetned it with another 5 lbs of honey. I also had a few cinnamon sticks and cloves in it for 2-3 months, but the spice flavor was not at all discernable at bottling/drinking.
I love the simplicity of the recipe (no acid, no pH).
I have another batch going with orange blossom honey now.

11-10-2007, 12:59 PM
how long did you age it for?

11-10-2007, 02:28 PM
about a year total.

10/5/06 about 4.5 gallons cider and 15 lbs (wildflower) honey plus 2 packs red star champagne yeast
12/7/06 to secondary with 5lbs more honey plus 3 cinnamon sticks and 2 cloves
4/12/07 to tertiary (had clarified on its own 3/07)
7/6/07 bottled

Tasted really good about 2 months after bottling
Next time I would add more spices or keep them in longer since their flavor/aroma was totally gone by bottling. When I tasted it after bottling to tertiary, the spice taste was quite nice.

11-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Sheesh that thing does look like a beast--got a brew log on 'er?

For what it's worth about unpasteurized cider, it looks like you don't really need to sulfite it anyway. Especially if you are using champagne yeast or some other voracious strain. I began the ABC with unpasteurized cider that had actually started a wild fermentation. Despite this I have had no issues so far with my batch, and the cider tastes great. Most commercial yeasts will just out compete or outright kill wild strains.

11-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah, I've stopped using sulfites. They give me a headache.