PDA

View Full Version : What mead are you going to make next and why?

3BlindMice
11-19-2007, 09:09 PM
I thought it might be fun to share-

I will either make a show mead or something that emphasizes cinnamon. Why? My last 10 plus batches or so have been cysers and/or melomels. While I love them, I am ready for something different.
:cheers:

How about you?

Johnnybladers
11-19-2007, 09:34 PM
GMs Sweet Fall Mead intended as a group brew last fall. Angus was the author of the recipe if I remember. Reasons, cuz it sounded tasty then but was posted after cider seaon here, its still cider season for a little bit.

Raspberry cyser,cuz its still cider time and I've got 30 plus pounds of red raspberries in the freezer just begging to be fermented.

Oskaar's suggestion to someone(sorry can't remember who) about a strawberry mel, cuz it sounds great and I got enough berries (in the freezer) from the patch o' berries.

The rest (after the above in order) for a little while will involve frozen red and black raspberries likely including Mr Schramm's Mambo In Your Mouth Melomel(I think that was the name)

Ferment on :headbang:

liff
11-19-2007, 10:17 PM
In the carboys clearing: Elderberry wine, Merlot pyment, Reisling pyment, and 2 different traditionals.

In the bucket fermenting: Dangerous cyser.

In the works: Oskaar's sweet cherry cyser, Blackberry mel, and strawberry mel.

And I am going to do an ale yeast mead, looks like a group brew with smokey and whoever would like to join, this is in the works.

Why? Everything but the cysers I have made before and want more of them. The cysers because the one I made before was so bad that I can't give up after one try. The ale yeast mead because I am looking for a lower alcohol mead, around 10% instead of the 14 to 18% where wine yeast normally tapers off.

So this year I am going to make about 50 gallons of alcohol. :cheers: I haven't been doing this for too long, but the quality is there and getting better with every batch.

Liff

Medsen Fey
11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I just started a Sour-Orange (Seville orange) melomel because my neighbor has a tree that has produced a whole bunch.

I am probably going to do a Grapefruit melomel next as citrus season is here and I have a friend with a tree full of Grapefruit. I've learned you can ferment citrus fruit just dandy.

My brother-in-law has a Carambola (aka Star-fruit) tree that will be producing soon, and that will likely be what goes into the fermenter in turn (but must remember to watch out for the oxalate).

Having fun with tropical fruit!

Medsen

ucflumberjack
11-19-2007, 11:14 PM
hmmm.... well.... i have three answers:
1. if beer counts im gonna go a marris otter/fuggles pale (first priority)
2. if braggot counts itll be a scotch braggot w/buckwheat honey (second priority)
3. if were only talkin about mead then ill have to tell you that im gonna probably make a dry mead, thatll be a while though since im havin trouble finding the right honey. (third priority)

mike911
11-19-2007, 11:24 PM
I'm either going to do a mini batch of a persimmon melomel, three gallons, or a really big metheglyn, something around 17-18%ABV. I only have around five lbs. of persimmons, so I'm really pushing it to even make three gallons, but I'd like to do something with them. As for the metheglyn, I'd like to have something to sit on for quite a while.

sandig
11-20-2007, 12:27 AM
I am gearing up to make 5 gal of cherry mead after Thanksgiving....all of the ingredients are burning a hole in my pantry ;D

Currently going:
Bulk Aging:
5 gal Pumpkin mead
3 gal JAO
2 gal blueberry cyser

Still fermenting slightly:
1 gal maple wine

Sandi

wayneb
11-20-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm doing a cranberry-juniper meth of my own concoction, mostly because it sounds good as a winter seasonal brew, and it is as close as I can get to the northern European traditional ingredients of juniper and lingonberries.

The cranberries don't have the same flavor profile as lingonberries, but they are the closest thing we've got to them in North America.

BTW - If you're interested in the particulars of the recipe, they are posted in the Patron's section, so if you're not a Patron yet and you really want to know what I've cooked up -- you'll have to subscribe! ;D

Wolfie
11-20-2007, 03:35 AM
I'm thinking of brewing some kind of ginger beer quick-mead.
I want something that will will be good relatively soon since the ABC and the Cherry Cocoa Mead will both be high in aging, and a spicy ginger mead will be a great drink this summer.

Debating:
Ale yeast or EC-1118
Sparkling or semisweet
to hop or not to hop...

beninak
11-20-2007, 03:46 AM
Lingonberries grow wild around here and in Canada too, I think. I dind't get more than a couple handfuls this year, though. It seems all the places I went had already been visited by either bears or other more experienced berry pickers. Next year I'll be prepared, though!

Here's my upcoming brews that will keep me occupied for quite some time:

5 - 1gal traditional batches in my empty ABC cider jugs. this is mainly a honey experiment, 4 of the batches will use different locally produced raw, unfiltered near organic wildflower or clover honeys and 1 batch using Silverbow honey from Costco to see exactly if and how the quality of a honey affects the quality of a mead.

Sometime soon I'll start a Christmas spiced mead to be ready for celebrations, libations, and gifts and salutations for the holidays next year.

An extra strong tart cherry mel, heavily oaked and slightly flavored with bourbon.

Thanks to some recent networking with local beekeepers and commercial meadmakers, I've gotten ahold of some pretty cool honeys. One I'll use to make a traditional batch with Tulip Poplar honey.

Also a sourwood traditional.

and a black currant mel using Tupelo honey! (whew!)

I also really wanted to do a lager this winter, but I am starting to realize that my stove just isnt adequate for wort boiling, too cold for outside brewing, so unless I get a surprise visit from Santa, I may have to hold off on that goal until next winter. Besides, all my carboys will be full of mead! :cheers:

PS- Wolfie, do you have Charlie Papazian's book? He's got a recipe for Barshack Gingermead in there that is pretty much spot on what you are wishing for. I made some this year and pretty good for a quick, sparkling mead.

Adam_MA
11-20-2007, 08:54 AM
For my next mead I want to do something with blueberries. I do a lot of home food preserving, and home can my own veggies, fruits, and soups, and meats. This past year, I put up a good amount of blueberries that I canned in a medium syrup. The syrup is very sweet, and during the canning process it absorbed a very strong and intense blueberry flavor. I would like to make a 1 gallon batch first, to see how it comes out before I commit to an entire 5 gallons. I also have an extra packet of EC-1118 in the fridge that I would like to use as well. I will think about it for a little while, and try to come up with a recipe an then post it up for suggestions. Right now, I have 12 gallons of cider, 6 gallons of wild-berry wine, and 1 gallon of JAO going, so I will have some bottling to do...

wayneb
11-20-2007, 12:14 PM
You're right about the lingonberries, Beninak; I didn't realize that, but as I dug around for more info I found that they are prevalent only just south of the Arctic Circle on this continent. Kinda hard for me to head up that way to pick berries from here! :D

ucflumberjack
11-20-2007, 01:18 PM
IKEA has lingonberry preserves and juice concentrates, but its sweetened with grape juice so i dont know if itll taste much like lingonberries. i was gonna try to make some lingonberry cider/wine from it just to see how it worked out but then i realized that i have other booze making adventures to focus on.

disclaimer: my girlfriend made me go to IKEA.

sorry about the hijack....

youngmeadman
11-20-2007, 03:20 PM
Chocolate mead because it sounds like something to serve on a date,and it takes two years to get good, so should start now!

OR...

Dangerous Cyser,

More so for my friends benefit then mine. But when you sitting around, drinking, telling stories, you got to love it.

YoungMeadman

wayneb
11-20-2007, 03:53 PM
IKEA has lingonberry preserves and juice concentrates, but its sweetened with grape juice so i dont know if itll taste much like lingonberries. i was gonna try to make some lingonberry cider/wine from it just to see how it worked out but then i realized that i have other booze making adventures to focus on.

No problem - that IKEA stuff has about as much resemblance to fresh lingonberries as Welch's Grape Jelly does to fresh concord grapes.
"Ain't nothin' like the real thing!"

beaglady
11-20-2007, 05:42 PM
Probably a 5 gal batch of show mead that will get my stash of frozen local peaches in the secondary. Or the hefeweizen style braggot I inquired about a few weeks ago. Or maybe something with cranberries, since they're available & cheap right now.

Yo momma
11-21-2007, 07:24 AM
My next batches are:

Waynes cranjuniper berry (this stuff sound soooo goood)
Strawberry (cuz my wife drinks it up quick)
Pure Watermelon Mel (experiment as soon as the molons are available)

and probably some others not known right now.
:cheers:

Oskaar
11-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I have a couple that I'm going to be firing up.

One of them methomel and the other is a "kicked up" Holiday Cyser.

Cheers,

Oskaar

samson11
11-21-2007, 08:13 AM
I am doing a cranapple mead

Why; because I have cranberries and apples, and I have allways liked the juce.

12 lbs Dark Honey
2 Gallons Unfiltered Apple Cider (pasteurized!)
24 oz Hole Cranberries
5 Cinnamon Sticks
5 Cloves
1/2oz Ground Nutmeg
4 Tbs Acid Blend (approx)
Yeast Energizer
Red Star Montrachet Yeast

wayneb
11-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Slight hijack -- because I want to address Oskaar about this in context.

Hey, dude! This begs a question. Are the BJCP categorizations for mead going to stay hard and fast for the IMA and entries in the IMF in the future? Clearly they are less than optimal, since the development of so many "crossover" melometh (or methomel) recipes means we are starting to create one HUGE "open" category, with no discriminators currently specified other than overall sweetness, strength, and carbonation. It is apparent that the BJCP guideline developers punted when they created "open," and much more development is needed there.

Should we be adding some fine structure to the "open" category?

Oskaar
11-21-2007, 08:06 PM
I don't think that we'll see a change in the mead categories this year or next year. It is an item on the table though, and it is gaining momentum. There is recognition that the categories have become lmiting and that changes need to be made. Right now, getting the mead exam off the ground is the first order of business. But I'm sure that category refinement is on the way.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

wayneb
11-21-2007, 11:56 PM
OK - I'm a believer in walk before you learn to run. I can wait! :cheers:

storm1969
11-22-2007, 12:16 AM
Next up? A 12 gallon semi-sweet Orange Blossom Straight mead. It will be aged in my new 10 gallon barrel. Followed by another 12 gallon semi sweet traditional, most likely with a mix of honeys, again for the barrel...

And a couple of smaller batch straight meads, using various varietal honeys...

I do prefer straight meads, even though I make a number of mels.

teljkon
11-23-2007, 05:27 AM
On the mead end it is going to be two more dry sparkaling meads in the wings. But im doing a couple of beers first ive been asked to do a lawn mower style of beer but Im planing a hefe as a comprimize.
:happy10:

goodfella_psycho
11-28-2007, 07:44 PM
I plan on making a 1 gallon batch of carrot mead, and a 5 gallon batch of vanilla chai. I have a 1 gallon of strawberry and vanilla chai ready to drink and 5 gallons of apple cyser still tasting like rocket fuel and a fresh 5 galon batch of peach vanilla that is only about 2 months old.

beninak
11-29-2007, 01:03 AM
Whoa! Carrot mead?!? What inspired that?

teljkon
11-29-2007, 02:15 AM
There is a wine store in west palm that sells a very clear very good carot wine. I was suprised if you havent had a chance to try carrot wine give it a shot.

goodfella_psycho
12-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Ive always liked carrot juice and I have a ton of honey, so why not try something different! I will use all juice for this recipe. Lets just be glad I settled on Carrots, because i have some strange ideas!?

Wolfie
12-04-2007, 02:54 AM
hmm... does it end up clear or slightly orange?
Sounds like an interesting experiment for a 1 gallon.

teljkon
12-04-2007, 03:14 AM
This store was somthing eles ill tell you. The whole store was veggie fruit and alternative types of wine. I guess the moral behind the story is experiment experiment experiment.

goodfella_psycho
12-05-2007, 12:23 AM
Im assuming it will clear to a golden color much like a dark honey mead. The peaches and vanilla I made was a bright orange to start and it has cleared into a dark golden color. Maybe Ill post my process once I decide to start it!

Johnnybladers
12-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Check out the Vargas / Gulling book Making Wild Wines & Meads. There are some unusual ideas in there. Carrot, garlic, marigold, parsnip, pea pod, potato, tomato,etc. Pretty much anything to flavor your fermentable sugars.

teljkon
12-06-2007, 01:56 AM
Ill tell you first hand some of those veggies have intresting complexity to them on par with any wine Ive had!

Teufelhund
12-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Well, I'm doing Oskaars "Sauterned On" recipe for several reasons.

1) I get to use oak cubes and that is something that I will have to learn to use eventually if I'm ever going to start making meads with any type of body and character. They're fairly easy to use and cheap and the gains are more than enough to try it.
2) Differents yeasts. I've only used Red Star Champaigne and wine yeasts so I know what the drawbacks are and the flavors they can impart. Well, sort of, but you get my point. At least I know what NOT to do with them now at any rate.
3) Different honey experiment. I've only used local wildflower honey here and now will have the opportunity to check flavors added.
4) It's a mead that one can taste after aging to gain insight.

Just my .02 worth.

DD

Wolfie
12-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I just made both of Oskaarz dry mead batches (see Oskarrz Dry Dual Batches in the Brew Log (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=412&topic=5925.0))

Right now I'm letting them age sur lie for a few months--probably rack them to clear for good around early feb, I'll post more taste notes then.

But it would be great to see someone else to exchange working noes with as these age.

GrantLee63
12-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm going to be making another batch of Wrathwilde's Chocolate Aphrodisiac. Why? Because I have Lalvin D254 on hand, but more importantly than that, when I sampled my batch back on November 4, it was AWESOME and I know it's not going to last long once I bottle it !!!

I made my original batch on April 28, 2007, and will make my second batch around that same time. I'm planning on letting my original batch bulk-age for at least a year before I bottle it, and it's very likely I will be making this each and every year if my preliminary samplings are any indication of what this will taste like when properly aged.

Thanks again for posting that one Wrath !!! :notworthy:

- GL63

sandman
12-31-2007, 02:20 AM
Djworniak, Cranberry Christmas Cyser, Blueberry Cyser, Cherry Cyser, Yeast test (in-progress), etc...

The tagline says it all... My carboys spilleth over this season. I can't wait until bottling time is upon me. ;D

David Baldwin
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
My next batch will be another 50 gallon batch of a spiced orange mead.

I made one batch to determine whether or not I could increase the scale of my 2007 IMF winner from 3 gallons to 50 gallons. The first attempt was an amazing success, so this will be another attempt at the same recipe to see if I can replicate it consistently.

Just as a side note, the increase in scale of this project forced me to make some changes to the methods of production. The end result was (in my opinion) a mead that far surpassed the original with half the time aging.

David

beninak
01-18-2008, 09:26 PM
Just as a side note, the increase in scale of this project forced me to make some changes to the methods of production. The end result was (in my opinion) a mead that far surpassed the original with half the time aging.

David

Wow 50 gallons! :o Did you use a barrel to age it in? How did you cut the aging time so significantly?

just_al
01-30-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm going to be doing a blackberry Melomel. Why? Because my wife's eyes lit up at the suggestion. I haven't dusted off my carboys for about 5 years because we kept moving. We are very settled in our home so we've started brewing. First batch was actually beer which is important because the beer keeps us from digging into the mead before it's ready. ;)

wayneb
01-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Hey, Al! Welcome to "GotMead?" and welcome back to the addiction, er, ah, hobby! :wave:

You'll find a lot of friendly folks here, and lots more good advice. :cheers:

beachfrontmeadman
02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
i'm going orange
an orange cini melometh comes to mind, and a orange wine, and maybe a batch of the JOA just for some table mead
why, a friend just gave me two 25 pound bags of oranges and thats a little more than i can handle
might do a rose vanilla mead or a peach mead in the future

Wolfie
02-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Funny to look at this post again, makes me feel like I've accomplished a lot! Got the ABC, Dry Meadz, , Cocoa Cherry & Cyser test batches under my belt now (all needing another racking to tertiary aging) I'm ready to get on it again! :cheers:

Next in line is a pyment (varietal TBA) a Ginger Beer (sorghum malt, ginger, saaz hops & ale yeast) and another attempt at a Cyser (liking those D47 and K1V batches a lot, still got to choose)

Now that I've been converted to bulk aging more of my brews I'm starting to wonder if I need even more carboys. :P

strange_999
04-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Well in my case I have a jalapeno and oak mead in primary ( Jalapeno on a stick)
I will be brewing a 12 gal batch of red rabbit raspberry mead once the raspberries are ready to pick.
In the next 3-4 weeks will be putting a series of 6 1 gal batch meads in glass ( wife wants to experiment with a bunch of ideas.)
I think I will also make a traditional straight mead ( 5 gal )

ucflumberjack
04-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Reading this makes me realize how fickle my intentions are. I havent made anything i had planned on and have changed my mind completely...... Making another "Lumberjack Ale", and maybe pitching the second "Lumberjack Braggot" right on top of it.....

skunkboy
04-17-2008, 07:20 PM
5 gallons of Orange Blossom + Vanilla
3 gallons apricot melomel
3 gallons of tupelo
6, 1 gallon batches, each with 1 tsp of spice (nutmeg, mace, cardamom, etc)

Yo momma
04-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I have to make an Oskaars Subtle Strawberry before anything, next will be the Sowthwestern Cherry Cyser by Oskaar as well. See a trend here? :laughing7: Nothing will be started until all the meads I have are out of there secondary.

GrantLee63
04-17-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm going with the Subtle Strawberry as well, although I may do something with Mesquite before the strawberries are in season. I need to start making something, as I now have 200 + pounds of honey just waiting to ferment.

- GL63 :drunken_smilie:

Medsen Fey
04-18-2008, 09:50 AM
I am going to try to produce a Madeira style mead without fortifying it. Instead I will step feed it up to as close to 20% ABV as I can get it. I am counting on long aging and high temp cooking and oxidation to remove any "rocket fuel" characteristics that develop. I want to end up with a delicious, but indestructible mead that can be stored without worries over temperature.

Angus
04-18-2008, 02:33 PM
I am thinking of doing a "Vanilla Icecream" Mead using this Vanilla paste (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/landing.jsp?go=DetailDefault&id=1450), and perhaps a Sunflower honey. Lots of body, so yeast must match that goal. Will develop recipe soon.

Also going to be doing Oskaarz Subtle Strawberry, Oskaarz Petite Sweet Mesquite, Oskaarz Oaked Sweet Mead, and another batch of my Old Woody Acerglyn. This should take up the next 5 months.

Angus

Yo momma
04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Oskaars Oaked Sweet mead was wonderful. Great pick!

UDV
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I am searching/stalking for a Magner's tasting like, cyser-mead clone that sparklings. When I find this receipe it will be my next one. :)

Brad Dahlhofer
04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
In the next couple days, I'll be making the following:

Green Tea Mango Methomel
Mango Melomel
Pumpkin Pie Methomel
Apricot Melomel

On the pumpkin pie, I'm going to be using canned pumpkin. I haven't been able to find much on pumpkin pie meads. Does anyone have any suggestions? On both the pie, and green tea mango meads, I'll be adding the spice/tea to the secondary (to taste).

UDV
04-21-2008, 10:51 PM
In the next couple days, I'll be making the following:

Pumpkin Pie Methomel

Post whatever you have. I always end up getting stuck with huge pumpkins by Halloween and I'd like to actually turn them into something that I can drink, instead of something I can eat!

Oskaar
04-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Brad,

Do a forum search (advanced) using Gran Marnier as the search criteria, and Oskaar as the author.

Lemme know if you get the recipe/process.

Oskaar

beninak
04-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Let me chime in here and say that in case anyone is tempted by the idea, Pumpkin Blossom Honey does NOT taste very good fermented, nor is it necessarily a good honey choice for a pumpkin pie mel/meth.

my $0.02 based on personal experience :sad1:

Brad Dahlhofer
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Brad,

Do a forum search (advanced) using Gran Marnier as the search criteria, and Oskaar as the author.

Lemme know if you get the recipe/process.

Oskaar

Found it, thanks. Here's a link in case anyone else wants to check it out. http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=412&topic=2111.msg16729#msg16729

I also found a post of yours that talks about a drive through an almond farm with a crazed girlfriend. Very funny story. :)

Brimminghorn
04-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey Brad ,

I make a pumpkin mead every year, It's become some what of a local favorite.

Here's the recipe: 5 gal.

(Old Jack Punkin Mead)
15 lbs. Wildflower honey
2 lbs. dark brown sugar
2- 29 oz cans of pumpkin
Yeast nutrients as needed
10 broken 3 inch cinnamon sticks
1 Tblsp whole cloves
1 Tblsp whole allspice berries (cracked)
1 whole nutmeg grated
Safale T- 58 yeast 11.5 grams rehydrate with Goferm.( I know its an ale yeast but I like the results I get with it )

OG 1.125 to 1.130

Wassail,
Jon

Wolfie
04-28-2008, 02:53 AM
Hey Brad ,

I make a pumpkin mead every year, It's become some what of a local favorite.

OG 1.125 to 1.130

Wassail,
Jon

Sounds good! Whats the FG usually read on this?

ps-I get the feeling this is a semi quick mead, am I right?

oh yeah...on topic: I'll have my pyments on by the end of the semester, and with the arrival of spring the opportunities to use dandelions, lilacs, and rose hips flit elusively by. Once again I hope to catch the short window to make floral spring meads, it's beginning to take on a road runner / coyote theme actually. :iamwithstupid:

Kee
04-28-2008, 10:09 PM
I've given this a bit of thought lately. I'd like to do something's that's a bit of an aphrodisiac plus.

I thought I might start with Wrathwilde's Chocolate Aphrodisiac. We've all read the threads about it. ;D Than add strawberries, Schizandra, and maybe licorice.

I'm not sure how much Schizandra to add. I did a quick search on the forums for Schizandra and didn't see any postings. Has anyone used it? It's cherished among Chinese as an aphrodisiac. It also has an interesting flavor. It has five flavors at different times; sour, sweet, bitter, warm, and salty. I thought the complexity might be nice. I'm a little concerned about adding too much since it can have an afterbite, but I think the honey/chocolate will counter most of that if I'm careful. I'm also hoping it will disguise the salty. Has anyone made something salty? Does that flavor tend to enhance or disappear over time?

Licorice is another herbal aphrodisiac. I'll have to search the forums for licorice info. I know I saw it in a thread somewhere, but I don't remember what it recommended.

There are a couple of other herbal aphrodisiacs I'm familiar with, but I don't know that the flavors would enhance this mead.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Wolfie
04-29-2008, 06:11 PM
My thought to you would be to would be to make a 1 gallon test batch of plain honey mead (or a five gallon batch and split it into five singles!) and go on ahead and tinker with infusions and amounts as they age. This will give you an idea of how each of these infuses and how much is too much. While your at it you could throw cocoa nibs into one and see about how chocolate plays with your other additives.

good luck!

/wolfie

Oskaar
04-29-2008, 11:46 PM
... snip...There are a couple of other herbal aphrodisiacs I'm familiar with, but I don't know that the flavors would enhance this mead.

Any ideas on what I'm missing?

My phone number and a bottle of your mead! >:D

Anyhow, I'd recommend getting the base mead first, and then adding back the chocolate, maple and strawberries, then adding a tea of the herbs to your taste. Once you have a sense of what the herbal addition and character will be and you can adjudicate in future recipes how you wish to add.

Cheers,

Oskaar

storm1969
04-30-2008, 09:51 PM
My next batch will be a large (18gallon+) batch of my renowned Elderberry port/mead... It's great. Actually looking for a better name...

then I am going to do a bee pollen test,

if I get to strawberry picking, I might make a strawberry mead....

nbagshaw
04-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Planning a cherry, definitely a JAO, and considering a blueberry.
The wife is certain we'll be going to AA soon! :drunken_smilie:
I tell her I am supporting the carboy industry.

5gal Pomegranate Chamomile in primary
5gal spicy holiday mead I submitted as Home for the Holidays in primary
3gal 4-berry (blue, straw, red & black) aging
2gal sweet mead aging
1gal Home fo rthe Holidays aging

Oskaar
05-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Well, at least you'll have someone to sit through those exciting AA meetings with you.

"Hi, my name is Oskaar . . . and I'm pretty sure you're all a bunch of raging alkies!"

Cheers,

Oskaar

GrantLee63
05-01-2008, 05:23 AM
A soon-to-be posted Prickly Pear mead.

- GL63

happymondays
05-01-2008, 06:29 AM
I'm torn between a cherry cyser or a straight up cherry mel I haven't made any cysers apart from Falls Bounty which is nearly finished fermenting so look forward to sampling that, I quite like the idea of a cherry cyser so might opt for that one, then I am going to give Oskaars Mutiny on the Bounty a go too, :cheers:

Kee
05-03-2008, 02:27 AM
Thank you, Wolfie. I'll try the schizandra in a smaller batch.

Oskaar, I'll send you a bottle in a few years. I owe you that after pouring through all your advise on this site!

nbagshaw
05-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Well I decided to have a little fun this morning.

My 3 boys have always watched me cook up a batch, handed me things, etc. but have never made one themselves.
Soooo....I decided to show them how! I stood in the corner and directed them. It was KILLING me!

We They just pitched the yeast on a gallon of JAO, are huddled around the glass jug we
used so they can watch and are expecting bubbleage at any minute.

Where's my camera???

wayneb
05-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Be careful -- don't ever let anyone from Child Protective Services see those photos! ;)

Wolfsdenbrew
05-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Cherry mel with montmorency cherry concentrate.

Mango mel with 24 fat, juicy mangoes.

Wolfie
05-13-2008, 12:53 AM
Welcome to GOTMEAD Wolfsden :)

Head on over to the recipe discussion board and see if you dont need any details hammered out, or maybe you'll inspire someone else.

See ya on the boards

/wolfie

Kee
05-19-2008, 01:00 PM
A soon-to-be posted Prickly Pear mead.

How does that taste?

Earendil
06-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Let me chime in here and say that in case anyone is tempted by the idea, Pumpkin Blossom Honey does NOT taste very good fermented, nor is it necessarily a good honey choice for a pumpkin pie mel/meth.

my $0.02 based on personal experience :sad1:

Wow; that is so opposite my own experience. I just finished the primary fermentation on a batch of Pumpkin Blossom and I found it potent without being hot and wonderfully floral, both in nose and taste. I actually intended it for a medium-sweet melomel, but decided to leave it as a 'straight' mead (not up on terminology, yet; sorry) as I didn't want to mess with the wonderful floral flavor.

It may deteriorate later, but right now, I'm having a hard time keeping my hands off it.

As to my next one, I'm about to start two. One will be my first rhodomel (using the best bits of the recipes and comments I've found here). The other will be my first mead that uses bee pollen as a nutrient/energizer. I plan on using wildflower honey, Lalvin 71B-1122 and bee pollen. If all goes well, I'll split it into 5 1-gallon batches and try varying amounts of pollen and flower petals to see what floral characters I can bring out.

-------------------------------
Currently Aging:
- 5 gallons of Ered Luin (sparkling blueberry melomel with Brazilian Tropical Flower honey)
- 5 gallons of Menelvagor (a pale, very dry metheglin with lemon balm, borage and elderberry)
- 5 gallons of Caradhras (an intense, dry blueberry melomel with 19# of berries in it)

Currently in Primary:
- 5 gallons of Pumpkin Blossom mead (medium-sweet 'straight' mead)
- 5 gallons of Brazilian Tropical Blossom mead awaiting a destiny

Currently Contemplated:
- 5 gallons rhodomel
- 5 gallons wildflower/bee pollen

wayneb
06-01-2008, 01:20 AM
As with all "varietal" honeys, the location and condition of the nectar producing plant can vary widely, and can contribute to significantly different flavors in honey from multiple sources... which translates into noticeable differences in the meads that result. The most striking case of this that I can think of is the difference between east coast and west coast buckwheat honey. The east coast version is musky smelling, and produces a mead that smells not so faintly of the bottom of a horse stall. The west coast version has none of that "barnyard" character.

Oh, "straight mead" isn't such a bad descriptor, but a mead having no other flavoring ingredients (neither fruit nor herb/spice) is called a traditional mead. If it is made from only honey, water and yeast, that is called a "show mead."

Hope that helps!

Earendil
06-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Thanks, wayneb; that explains the difference between Beninak and my experiences, alright.

Question: what's the difference between show mead and traditional mead? They both sound the same, in your description. A show mead uses no energizer, nutrient or other additives, perhaps?

Thanks again!

Oskaar
06-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Show Mead - Honey, water, yeast

Traditional Mead - Honey, Water, Yeast and nutrients and may also be coopered in oak.

Cheers,

Oskaar

1BraddogsBBQ
08-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Something with fresh blueberries in it. We picked 5 gallons yesterday ( 32.5 pounds ) for only $25.00!!! I couldn't believe he was only charging $5 per gallon, pick your own of course. :icon_thumright:

On a sad note he said he might get rid of all the blueberry bushes next year. I'll bet we could have picked 1,000 gallons that wer egoing to waste :sad10: :sad10:

Yo momma
08-17-2008, 05:30 PM
The horror you speak off is intolerable. Send me those berries nd I will brew them into something woderful! ::)

wayneb
08-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Too bad that you're nowhere near Colorado. I'm looking for a good source of blueberries, and they don't grow easily around here.

holycontagion
08-17-2008, 09:25 PM
I keep making 1 gallon batches of different varietal honeys and mixtures thereof as traditionals, also with varying yeasts just to become more familiar with everything. As we speak I have some K1V re-hydrating in go-ferm for an orange blossom/alfalfa batch :D All these little batches go nicely with the 10 gallons of clover honey mead I have in secondaries. I'm up to 14 gallons now woot! :toothy10:

Medsen Fey
08-18-2008, 10:29 AM
A friend of mine just brought me some honey from her family's farm in the mountains of the Dominican Republic. It is tropical wildflower with strong floral notes, a bit of spice, and a caramel finish - Just delicious! I plan to make a traditional semi-dry with oak. I'm really looking forward to this batch.

Brad Dahlhofer
08-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Too bad that you're nowhere near Colorado. I'm looking for a good source of blueberries, and they don't grow easily around here.

We've got boatloads of blueberries here in Michigan. Looks like it's time for a road trip. :)

Brad Dahlhofer
08-19-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm planning on doing Chipotle Mango, Spiced Cyser, and Chai Spice meads. Just need to find the time to come up with some recipes and make the stuff.

capoeirista13
09-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I plan on starting my second mead ever in maybe a week, I'm going for as close as I can get to a butterscotch mead (like Butterbeer from Harry Potter), but I still need to find a lot out about meadmaking and using vanilla / brown sugar / caramel

Wolfie
09-04-2008, 04:15 PM
In a week or so I'm going to start my blueberry mel and a big dry strawberry mel with R-HST, then it's apple season ;D
Fall is my favorite time of the year.

skunkboy
09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Now that I have the right honey, I am going to start a batch of Oskaarz's "I'm Satuerned On! Dry Traditional Mead", and Oskaarz's "Smooth Sweet Sack", either this weekend or next. Because I'm curious of traditional styles made from a combination of different single varietial honeys.

1BraddogsBBQ
09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
My next batch may be a Caramel Apple Mead. Sounds real good and should be done for next fall. Not sure if I will do a 5 or a 60 gallon batch and finish it in a 53 gallon bourbon barrel.

Moredd
10-19-2008, 01:22 AM
I am thinking about small batches (1 gal) of tart cherry mead/melomel, cranberry mead/melomel and pomegrante melomel- still researching possible recipes on these

Currently going:
Bulk Aging:
1 Gal Blackberry Melomel (well more like 3/4 gal after racking and such)

fermenting :
5 gal Cyser (the batch that started out refusing to ferment, still hoping Oskaar's fix is gonna end up working out)
1 Gal JAO

Hubby looking at making Oskaars Flaming A***ole mead (if we can get the recipe from Oskaar) & Tabasco Mead
Currently fermenting:
2 1/2 gal test batches of dry mead (2 different processes)
1 Gal sweet mead

We are starting to get comments from our friends about the bottles all over in random places around the house with bubbles coming out of them... >:D

cam07ds
10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Well for me its going to be a Sweet show mead made with 24lbs of Meadowfoam honey that has been talking to me for a month now.... But I really need to get the Orange and Saffron into secondary first as there are too many things a brewing in the brew haus.
Steve

dogglebe
10-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Once I bottle two or three batches of beer or mead or wine, I'm going to finally get around to my poison oak blossom honey mead. The honey, itself, has a nice buttery character. I have sixteen pounds of it and will use fifteen in the fermentation and the last pound to backsweeten, if need be.

After bottling another two batches, I'll be working on a pyment or two.

Phil

BBBF
10-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm either doing 10 gallons of strawberry or 5 gallons of chocolate. It depends if my cider or strawberry/kiwi clears first. I'm tempted to start a cranberry, but that will only happen if I bump the chocolate further back again.

Kee
10-29-2008, 02:44 PM
"My next batch may be a Caramel Apple Mead."

How do you plan to get the caramel flavor? Is this an additive or some trick?

Wolfie
10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Well Oskaars blueberry and the Pinot Noir Pyment are knocked off the list.

Comming up are Dry Strawberry, Gewurztraminer Pyment, an 8-10 gallon brew of last years blueberry mead by special commission, and if I'm lucky Oskaarz Entry Level Cyser (also want to do a version with 58W3)
But before I do any of that I think I need to make 2 gallon dry black current mel blend my Oskaarz Blueberry and a gallon of simple dry cyser to blend to the ABC.

yikes--I'll need to bottle something soon!

Vino
10-31-2008, 11:03 AM
Just started two 1 gallon Cyser’s Monday (1 Orange Blossom, 1 Wildflower), next will be two 1 gallon Pyments (1 Red, 1 White), then two 1 gallon Show Meads (1 Dry, 1 Sweet).

Already have the ingredients…just need more primaries…

Not to mention 1 gallon of Sima that should be ready to bottle tomorrow, 1 gallon of rootbeer fermenting, and two 5 gallon batches of “Sunsplash Golden Ale” in the secondaries (1 to keg, 1 to bottle).

Man, I need a hobby! :icon_scratch:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

I am a Middle Aged / Control Freak / Engineer w/ ADHD, who is currently treating his Type A personality with copius amounts of C2H6O :drunken_smilie:

Northern Winos
10-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Newbie Mead Maker here...
Been making wine for awhile and wanted to try something different after acquiring some free Honey.

Started a crabapple/Apple Cyser and it's fermenting strong....

Next I want to try a Grape [Concord Type that we grow] with some Apple Juice....

Would that be called a Cyser or a Pyment????

Colby
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Sorry in advance if this is a derail. I am brand new to making mead. I have several quarts of blackberry preserves I made last Summer that we will most likely never eat before I make the next batch. I also have peach preserves, but we are down to the last quart.

My question is;

Can I use this to make a wine or mead?

The preserves have quite a lot of sugar (which will probably impart a caramel flavor I guess), and pectin (SureGel) to get the preserves to set up. The fruit is mashed, and has plenty of surface area. The fruit was picked by me and my kids the day before I made the preserves. Is there any reason I shouldn't give this a shot? And if so....wine or mead? I'll do a 1-gallon batch.

wayneb
12-16-2008, 12:59 PM
You can give it a shot, and it will ferment out to a "cooked fruit" flavored melomel, but in my experience (we tried all this many, many years ago when we were first experimenting with mead) the results aren't that satisfying. You'll likely end up with a slightly cloudy mel (even if you use pectic enzymes) that has hints of the fruit flavor, but will taste thin and "hot."

The residual cloudiness comes from the relatively large amounts of pectin contained in preserves. Anything like heated pectins, that gets fruit "mush" to set up, is exactly what is not wanted in a fermenting must. The off-balance tendency to alcoholic "heat" comes from the fermenting cane sugar in the preserves. On the whole, we didn't like the results.

That was my experience; YMMV, of course.

cam07ds
12-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Well with the Meadofoam in the racking rotation me thinks my next mead will be a raspberry mead/melomel with Raspberry honey and real raspberries this time. Have to find a good source for the raspberry honey now.

Syme
12-16-2008, 01:39 PM
First up is a 3 gallon batch of black currant Mel. I found black currant juice on sale. I'll use tupelo honey in this.

Next a bochet with OB honey that will be pretty similar to the papazian article.

If the bochet goes well, I have 7lbs of sweet cherries in the freezer and I thought that I might do a second bochet and rack it onto the cherries in the secondary. I thought the flavors might go well together.

Later this spring: A strawberry mel with OB honey. In the late spring there are road side vendors everywhere selling fresh strawberries.

Finally, a dandelion mead with clover honey. I'm just intrigued by the idea of dandelion blossoms and want to know what they taste like in mead.

EverGreenman
12-16-2008, 03:59 PM
My next ups are one that I'm going to call Under African Skies...I'll post the specs up shortly but it's going to be Zambezi Honey, Rooibus tea, Madagascar Vanilla, and I'd like to do some kind of red African berry but I haven't found the right one yet. I like foresty, earthly meads. Reflects me personality. The next is going to be a lavender rhodomel I'd like to have finish like a champagne. I have some experience with rhodo's and am anxious to try lavendar (I love the dandelion idea Syme...I've made dandelion wine but never dandelion mead. The wine is good...I'm sure the mead will be great!) And I'd really like to get a chocolate something started. Never done that before. Sounds awesome. Plus I KNOW it'll make the ladies swoon. :cool: yupyup!

pugsquasher
12-17-2008, 02:30 AM
I'm thinking about a chocolate/mint/vanilla sort of thing, resembling a creme de menthe. Knowing my luck though, it will probably turn out more "creme de merd". :D Why? JAO was simple, but I want to challenge myself, try my hand at thinking up my own recipe, do plenty of research, and actually go through "the process" of mead making. Plenty to learn before I start that project, though. Back to research.........

WRATHWILDE
12-17-2008, 08:40 AM
My Own Chocolate Acerglyn... running out, way past time to make more.

A light, standard Acerglyn.

Another Spiced Cyser ~ with cloves & Cinnamon

Probably a straight Cyser while I'm at it.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Angus
12-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Wrath,

What batch size chocolate are you going to make? If it is a large one, any chance of putting in an order for a few bottles? Love that one.

Angus

WRATHWILDE
12-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Any chance of putting in an order for a few bottles? Love that one.

I think that can be arranged, I'll be using a different honey this time around, Snowberry, so it may be a little lighter in character. Hope you have patience... these batches probably wont be bottled until 2011.

Cheers,
Wrathwilde

Angus
12-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Patience. The one virtue I do have. Of course, if someone could invent a time machine and get the mead finished quicker, I would not hold it against them.

Angus

Corcis
12-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Aging: 1gal JAO; 5gal Imperial India Pale Ale (Hops!)
Definitely planned: 2x1gal JAO; 1gal cranberry cyser; 5gal C-3PAle (IPA); 5gal Brewbacca (Barleywine); 5gal GF Beer of some sort.

Possible: 5gal cranberry cyser; another 5gal Oatmeal Stout (we need to burn through our supplies of it first)

sandman
12-20-2008, 01:03 AM
I've got a Chocolate/Raspberry and a Chocolate/Blackberry (5 gallons each) in secondary right now. I have high hopes as both are based on The Bruce's Choc/Cherry variant of one of Pete's recipes.

thomasaaron
12-20-2008, 01:23 AM
I think I'd like to freeze-distill a spicy mead of some kind (cinnamon or clove) into something akin to a liquor.

Not sure of the terminology yet, though.

Speedy
01-05-2009, 03:46 PM
JAO. Because Santa brought me a orange. What else would I do with it?

Vino
01-05-2009, 04:12 PM
A 3 gallon batch of Oskaarz “Oaked Sweet Mead” (since I have some oak cubes on hand), and a 3 gallon batch of Oskaarz “You Bleu My Berriez Melomel” (since I have the berries in the freezer) I just need to pick up the RC212…these will be my first batches over 1 gallon...I guess I'm ready to take the plunge!

thomasaaron
01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm gonna make a batch of JOA with cinnamon in it for this batch, but I'm researching how to make a good capsicumel with Jalapeno in it. If anybody has any advice on that one, I'm all ears.

Wolfie
01-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Thomasaaron:

your just going to have to take a little risk on this one and figure out your tastes.

Make a sweet traditional mead and once it clears add a jalapeno to 1 gallon and sample it every day until you have an idea of what it's about. It's not actually too daunting, dont let it scare ya off ;)
I've heard tha tusing dried or smoked peppers is another flavor all together.

It's been on my list for quite some time now, I still haven't gotten around to one myself, but this is pretty much the conclusion I've come to.

Good Luck!

PS: next on my list is my blueberry mead from last year. It was so good I've had 3 cases commissioned from me and I want to get the jump on it so I can get them out to people in the fall.

Probably jump on my Gewurztraminer pyment as well to take full advantage of the cold temps.

thomasaaron
01-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks, Wolfie.

I hadn't thought about adding jalapeño in the secondary, little by little. That's not a bad idea at all.

I was going to throw it in the primary. But I like the idea of going a little at a time.

Anybody else have thoughts on that?

capoeirista13
07-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I've basically got a laundry list of things I want to start before I go back to school, because then I will be too busy to think about them for a few months. First I need to deal with my cranberry pomegranate cider by sweetening half and carbonating the other half.

Then I want to make 3 drinks. I want to make another 5gal of citrus cider, as well as 5gal of a blueberry mead with some very slight anise flavoring in the background. And I want to make a small 1gal experimental batch of butterbeer, which I will tinker with until I get it right! Hopefully it will be ready in time for the final Harry Potter movie...

DaleP
07-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Blackberry mead (an attempt at the wine). Why? Because the wild blackberries are ripe, free fruit, I average picking 2-3 GALLONS every time I go out!

Sasper
07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Blackberry mead (an attempt at the wine). Why? Because the wild blackberries are ripe, free fruit, I average picking 2-3 GALLONS every time I go out!

Same here brother except it's hard to find as much as you do! Hahah I came home last Saturday with 40 million cuts up my arms, no pain no gain though! I'm sure blood sweat and tears will be noticeable on the palette when its finished.

Medsen Fey
07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm thinking about and elderberry and blackberry combination. I may try doing it in two batches to compare a high temp versus cool fermentation on a berry batch.

DaleP
07-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Same here brother except it's hard to find as much as you do! Hahah I came home last Saturday with 40 million cuts up my arms, no pain no gain though! I'm sure blood sweat and tears will be noticeable on the palette when its finished.

Only 40 million? Need to get into the bushes more! Just kidding, its a bumper crop here this year, and having a cool July has helped extend the season. Sipping on this nectar in mid January will remind of the summer days of picking berries......
The black raspberry mead is bubbling away, best year ever on these jewels, and the base mead for the gooseberry mead is a going!

Sasper
07-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Only 40 million? Need to get into the bushes more! Just kidding, its a bumper crop here this year, and having a cool July has helped extend the season. Sipping on this nectar in mid January will remind of the summer days of picking berries......
The black raspberry mead is bubbling away, best year ever on these jewels, and the base mead for the gooseberry mead is a going!

Oh boy I wanted to make a black raspberry mead so bad! I couldn't find a decent sized cache anywhere though! I love gooseberry's and have thought about making one but haven't seen gooseberry's in so long. How do they taste?

And for the bushes, haha I was ape like climbing around in the middle of those bushes haha.

Skervy
07-30-2009, 03:10 PM
What: Looks like I'm making prickly pear. I think I'm going to cut Papazian's recipe down to 10 pounds of honey but add 3 gallons of home made prickly pear syrup.
Why: Because I have a million prickly pears growing in my neighborhood (it's free....)