• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What mead are you going to make next and why?

Barrel Char Wood Products

3BlindMice

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 16, 2006
I thought it might be fun to share-

I will either make a show mead or something that emphasizes cinnamon. Why? My last 10 plus batches or so have been cysers and/or melomels. While I love them, I am ready for something different.
:cheers:

How about you?

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
GMs Sweet Fall Mead intended as a group brew last fall. Angus was the author of the recipe if I remember. Reasons, cuz it sounded tasty then but was posted after cider seaon here, its still cider season for a little bit.

Raspberry cyser,cuz its still cider time and I've got 30 plus pounds of red raspberries in the freezer just begging to be fermented.

Oskaar's suggestion to someone(sorry can't remember who) about a strawberry mel, cuz it sounds great and I got enough berries (in the freezer) from the patch o' berries.

The rest (after the above in order) for a little while will involve frozen red and black raspberries likely including Mr Schramm's Mambo In Your Mouth Melomel(I think that was the name)

Ferment on :headbang:

liff

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
Phoenix
In the carboys clearing: Elderberry wine, Merlot pyment, Reisling pyment, and 2 different traditionals.

In the bucket fermenting: Dangerous cyser.

In the works: Oskaar's sweet cherry cyser, Blackberry mel, and strawberry mel.

And I am going to do an ale yeast mead, looks like a group brew with smokey and whoever would like to join, this is in the works.

Why? Everything but the cysers I have made before and want more of them. The cysers because the one I made before was so bad that I can't give up after one try. The ale yeast mead because I am looking for a lower alcohol mead, around 10% instead of the 14 to 18% where wine yeast normally tapers off.

So this year I am going to make about 50 gallons of alcohol. :cheers: I haven't been doing this for too long, but the quality is there and getting better with every batch.

Liff

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I just started a Sour-Orange (Seville orange) melomel because my neighbor has a tree that has produced a whole bunch.

I am probably going to do a Grapefruit melomel next as citrus season is here and I have a friend with a tree full of Grapefruit. I've learned you can ferment citrus fruit just dandy.

My brother-in-law has a Carambola (aka Star-fruit) tree that will be producing soon, and that will likely be what goes into the fermenter in turn (but must remember to watch out for the oxalate).

Having fun with tropical fruit!

Medsen

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
hmmm.... well.... i have three answers:
1. if beer counts im gonna go a marris otter/fuggles pale (first priority)
2. if braggot counts itll be a scotch braggot w/buckwheat honey (second priority)
3. if were only talkin about mead then ill have to tell you that im gonna probably make a dry mead, thatll be a while though since im havin trouble finding the right honey. (third priority)

mike911

NewBee
Registered Member
May 21, 2006
I'm either going to do a mini batch of a persimmon melomel, three gallons, or a really big metheglyn, something around 17-18%ABV. I only have around five lbs. of persimmons, so I'm really pushing it to even make three gallons, but I'd like to do something with them. As for the metheglyn, I'd like to have something to sit on for quite a while.

sandig

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2007
I am gearing up to make 5 gal of cherry mead after Thanksgiving....all of the ingredients are burning a hole in my pantry ;D

Currently going:
Bulk Aging:
5 gal Pumpkin mead
3 gal JAO
2 gal blueberry cyser

Still fermenting slightly:
1 gal maple wine

Sandi

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I'm doing a cranberry-juniper meth of my own concoction, mostly because it sounds good as a winter seasonal brew, and it is as close as I can get to the northern European traditional ingredients of juniper and lingonberries.

The cranberries don't have the same flavor profile as lingonberries, but they are the closest thing we've got to them in North America.

BTW - If you're interested in the particulars of the recipe, they are posted in the Patron's section, so if you're not a Patron yet and you really want to know what I've cooked up -- you'll have to subscribe! ;D

Zem

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 14, 2005
I'm thinking of brewing some kind of ginger beer quick-mead.
I want something that will will be good relatively soon since the ABC and the Cherry Cocoa Mead will both be high in aging, and a spicy ginger mead will be a great drink this summer.

Debating:
Ale yeast or EC-1118
Sparkling or semisweet
to hop or not to hop...

beninak

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Anchorage, AK
Lingonberries grow wild around here and in Canada too, I think. I dind't get more than a couple handfuls this year, though. It seems all the places I went had already been visited by either bears or other more experienced berry pickers. Next year I'll be prepared, though!

Here's my upcoming brews that will keep me occupied for quite some time:

5 - 1gal traditional batches in my empty ABC cider jugs. this is mainly a honey experiment, 4 of the batches will use different locally produced raw, unfiltered near organic wildflower or clover honeys and 1 batch using Silverbow honey from Costco to see exactly if and how the quality of a honey affects the quality of a mead.

Sometime soon I'll start a Christmas spiced mead to be ready for celebrations, libations, and gifts and salutations for the holidays next year.

An extra strong tart cherry mel, heavily oaked and slightly flavored with bourbon.

Thanks to some recent networking with local beekeepers and commercial meadmakers, I've gotten ahold of some pretty cool honeys. One I'll use to make a traditional batch with Tulip Poplar honey.

Also a sourwood traditional.

and a black currant mel using Tupelo honey! (whew!)

I also really wanted to do a lager this winter, but I am starting to realize that my stove just isnt adequate for wort boiling, too cold for outside brewing, so unless I get a surprise visit from Santa, I may have to hold off on that goal until next winter. Besides, all my carboys will be full of mead! :cheers:

PS- Wolfie, do you have Charlie Papazian's book? He's got a recipe for Barshack Gingermead in there that is pretty much spot on what you are wishing for. I made some this year and pretty good for a quick, sparkling mead.

Adam_MA

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 23, 2007
For my next mead I want to do something with blueberries. I do a lot of home food preserving, and home can my own veggies, fruits, and soups, and meats. This past year, I put up a good amount of blueberries that I canned in a medium syrup. The syrup is very sweet, and during the canning process it absorbed a very strong and intense blueberry flavor. I would like to make a 1 gallon batch first, to see how it comes out before I commit to an entire 5 gallons. I also have an extra packet of EC-1118 in the fridge that I would like to use as well. I will think about it for a little while, and try to come up with a recipe an then post it up for suggestions. Right now, I have 12 gallons of cider, 6 gallons of wild-berry wine, and 1 gallon of JAO going, so I will have some bottling to do...

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
You're right about the lingonberries, Beninak; I didn't realize that, but as I dug around for more info I found that they are prevalent only just south of the Arctic Circle on this continent. Kinda hard for me to head up that way to pick berries from here! :D

ucflumberjack

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2006
IKEA has lingonberry preserves and juice concentrates, but its sweetened with grape juice so i dont know if itll taste much like lingonberries. i was gonna try to make some lingonberry cider/wine from it just to see how it worked out but then i realized that i have other booze making adventures to focus on.

disclaimer: my girlfriend made me go to IKEA.

sorry about the hijack....

youngmeadman

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
Regina, SK
Chocolate mead because it sounds like something to serve on a date,and it takes two years to get good, so should start now!

OR...

Dangerous Cyser,

More so for my friends benefit then mine. But when you sitting around, drinking, telling stories, you got to love it.

YoungMeadman

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
ucflumberjack said:
IKEA has lingonberry preserves and juice concentrates, but its sweetened with grape juice so i dont know if itll taste much like lingonberries. i was gonna try to make some lingonberry cider/wine from it just to see how it worked out but then i realized that i have other booze making adventures to focus on.

disclaimer: my girlfriend made me go to IKEA.

sorry about the hijack....

No problem - that IKEA stuff has about as much resemblance to fresh lingonberries as Welch's Grape Jelly does to fresh concord grapes.
"Ain't nothin' like the real thing!"

beaglady

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 20, 2007
Probably a 5 gal batch of show mead that will get my stash of frozen local peaches in the secondary. Or the hefeweizen style braggot I inquired about a few weeks ago. Or maybe something with cranberries, since they're available & cheap right now.

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
My next batches are:

Waynes cranjuniper berry (this stuff sound soooo goood)
Strawberry (cuz my wife drinks it up quick)
Pure Watermelon Mel (experiment as soon as the molons are available)

and probably some others not known right now.
:cheers:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I have a couple that I'm going to be firing up.

One of them methomel and the other is a "kicked up" Holiday Cyser.

Cheers,

Oskaar

samson11

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2007
I am doing a cranapple mead

Why; because I have cranberries and apples, and I have allways liked the juce.

12 lbs Dark Honey
2 Gallons Unfiltered Apple Cider (pasteurized!)
24 oz Hole Cranberries
5 Cinnamon Sticks
5 Cloves
1/2oz Ground Nutmeg
4 Tbs Acid Blend (approx)
Yeast Energizer
Red Star Montrachet Yeast

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Slight hijack -- because I want to address Oskaar about this in context.

Hey, dude! This begs a question. Are the BJCP categorizations for mead going to stay hard and fast for the IMA and entries in the IMF in the future? Clearly they are less than optimal, since the development of so many "crossover" melometh (or methomel) recipes means we are starting to create one HUGE "open" category, with no discriminators currently specified other than overall sweetness, strength, and carbonation. It is apparent that the BJCP guideline developers punted when they created "open," and much more development is needed there.

Should we be adding some fine structure to the "open" category?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns