• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

No DAP, but got Yeast Energizer

Barrel Char Wood Products
M

Mead4Speed

I don't have any DAP on hand but I have LD Carlson's Yeast Energizer, which has some in it along with other crap.

Is this acceptable to substitute for DAP in my FermaidK+DAP supplement coming up tomorrow or the next day?

Or should I up the YN since it's not all DAP?

liff

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
Phoenix
I think the Fermaid-K is the 'brand name' of LD Carlson's Yeast Energizer.

LD Carlson Yeast Energizer is, "Contains Diammonium phosphate, yeast hulls, magnesium sulphate, and Vitamin B Complex."

And ...

Fermaid K is a blended complex yeast nutrient that
supplies ammonia salts (DAP), free amino acids (organic
nitrogen derived from inactivated yeast), sterols, unsaturated
fatty acids, key nutrients (magnesium sulfate,
thiamin, folic acid, niacin, biotin, calcium pantothenate)
and inactive yeast.

So if you don't have any DAP, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just get some for the next time.

If you were planning on adding both Fermaid-K and LD Carlson's Yeast Energizer, I would advise against it.

Liff

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Lallemand produces Fermaid K, Go Ferm, Acti Ferm and Fermaid 2133

LD Carlson makes generic Nutrient and Energizer, and may well buy a "genericized" version from Lallemand.

Cheers,

Oskaar

M

Mead4Speed

ok, so what was the general concensous then?

The fermaid looks tan like mostly yeast hulls. The yeast energizer appears like a blended mix of white powder and tan yeast hulls.

So I shouldn't worry about pumping up the dap in the fermaidK and just use that alone?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Dude, time to do some reading.

I use Fermaid K and Go Ferm because they are designed for the specific Lallemand yeasts that I use. They work great with the yeasts from Lallemand, they're recommended by Lallemand and they have the specific nutrients that the yeast strains from Lallemand yeasts want and need during fermentation. That being said you may use whatever yeast, nutrient, DAP, etc nutrients you like. If you use the forum search tool you'll find a lot of discussion on this topic.

The forum search tool is here

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

M

Mead4Speed

What I've found is most people seem to supplement the fermaidK with a little DAP. I was looking to see if anyone was familiar with LD Carlson's Yeast Energizer to see if it's an acceptable sub for the DAP. Information elsewhere seems to point to too much yeast nutrient as being a bad thing if it's not all used by the yeast and there is a substantial amount left over to feed other unwanted organisms. It's that balance I didn't want to overstep, while still giving enough nutrient to avoid H2S issues. I've already experienced that and I don't think I want to go through it again.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Johnnybladers

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 13, 2006
I'm not certain but I think LD carlson "yeast energizer" is similar to Fermaid-K and their "yeast nutrient" is similar to DAP. The pisser with their nurtrient is that it contains urea. I could be totally wrong about the similarities.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns