PDA

View Full Version : Flash pasteurize

Christijoy
12-11-2007, 05:24 AM
I just started a batch of Apple juice/ Honey mead how late is too late to add pectic enzymes? ;D

Christijoy
12-11-2007, 05:32 AM
Sorry Im a newb my boyfriend is giving me crap about my question what i meant was (cyser) and enzyme singular not plural.... Im a blonde forgive me.....

Yo momma
12-11-2007, 07:23 AM
IS there a reason for adding the Enzyme? What was your recipe and process for making it? Sometimes you don't need it and other times you have no choice. Post your complete recipe and maybe we could help you further.
:cheers:

beninak
12-11-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you don't need pectic enzyme unless you boiled your must. If you did boil it, you can still add it as long as your must is still fermenting.

wayneb
12-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Actually, you need pectic enzyme(s) - singular or plural is OK since there are several pectinase compounds that work to break up set pectins - whenever fruit juices are heated, to avoid having set pectins that result in a haze in your mead. If you don't know how the apple juice you're using was processed, then it is safe to assume that they heat pasteurized it, and adding a little pectic enzyme will keep pectic haze from forming. If you're not sure about the juice that you're using, it doesn't hurt to add it anyway, although some folks prefer to be minimalist about chemical additions. Pectinases are naturally occurring enzymes, BTW.

beninak
12-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Ahh, so that's why my apple cider never cleared! I never heated it of course, but maybe the juice was heated in the pasteurization process. I guess I'll just add some PE to any juice based must I use from now on just to be on the safe side. Thanks for that little nugget, wayneb!