PDA

View Full Version : pumkin mead

therecyclingviking
12-19-2007, 10:06 AM
I am in the process of making a pumkin mead that I got from this site i did what it said but in has stoped ferm. it only lasted about 5 weeks and was wanting to know if I should go ahead and rack to the second fermentor?

Yo momma
12-19-2007, 05:24 PM
If you could post your recipe and details pertaining to it, like PH, SG, must temps and how you put it together in detail. That is the only way we could see if your fermentation is complete or it's still fermenting a little. It is not uncommon for the fermentation to be complete in that amount of time. I do doubt that it is clear though. You could probably rack into secondary and do a Specific Gravity test to see how much residual sugars are left for the yeast to eat. Without the details it is hard to come up with an answer for you.
:cheers:

therecyclingviking
12-21-2007, 01:34 AM
well i would give you all the readings and temps but just my luck pulled out the gages and the plastic tube they are in had the lid off and they fell out and busted.

beninak
12-21-2007, 04:21 AM
well in absence of any other data I would say 5 weeks should be plenty of time in primary, go ahead and rack it. If your yeast had sufficient nutrients and oxygen, it probably fermented to completion in that time span so I wouldnt be too worried about fermentation stopping. Have you tasted it?

therecyclingviking
12-21-2007, 05:23 AM
i have tasted it and i am starting to think I am doing something wrong this is my third mead and all three have almost no taste except for a strong alcohol taste and everone that has posted recipes say how good they taste even on the first rack. not sure if I am doing something wrong or what this mead is the one posted as pumkin mead. I also posted a question about yest I use the levin and I haven't heard of anyone else useing it.

therecyclingviking
12-21-2007, 05:34 AM
also this mead didn't clear how bad is this?

Yo momma
12-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Most meads will have an alchohol burn when they are young. I just look past the burn and try to taste what is important. If the meads you make are light in flavor then you know next time that you need to use more primary ingredients for a stronger finished taste. You could also put your fruit in the secondary for a more up front flavor. Ferment your honey then when the sg is at the 3rd sugar break rack onto your primary ingredients. Trial and error is the best way to figure out what you like to drink and taste.

As far as clearing, it will take a bit longer for it to clear. I have some mead that has been sitting for about 4-5 months and still has not cleared fully. Read the signature at the bottom of my post and think, patience, patience, patience.
:cheers:

teljkon
12-21-2007, 05:55 PM
??? levin or lallemand I must have miss rread your post in yeasties and beasties sorry.
:happy10: