PDA

View Full Version : How do I get fruit out of the carboy?

hollyk
12-23-2007, 12:45 AM
I just bottled a batch of JAO and I'm having a heckuva time getting the oranges out of the carboy. Is there some obvious way to get the fruit out that I'm missing? I was able to pull one slice out and shake most of the raisins out. I haven't been able to find an answer via search button.

Ooh, and should I lay my flip-top bottles down? Or are they ok standing up?

Holly -who is very excited to have bottled for the first time

teljkon
12-23-2007, 01:07 AM
There is a easy solution to the very complicated problem. Take water fill back up your carboy to the top or another as far as you think you can handle. then flip leting the fruit settell back to the bottom while you cover the top. Then knda shake slash jerk the carboy a little to get the wieght of the water to push aginst the obstruckted fruit all at once. Its a good Idea to always cut your additons small enough to to slide in easily if you did that this will work fine. If not use a wodden dowle to muddle the fruit into smaller bits and try agiane. Almost any thing will work just dont use mettal it more likley to break or crack the glass. As a saftey note when ever your jockeying carboys around like this be carfule and only do what you think you can handle. Also break often to rest up and drink mead.
:happy10:

Oskaar
12-23-2007, 02:19 AM
The easiest way is to add a little tepid water to the carboy and then whip the snot out of it with a lees stirrer. Breaks up that fruit real nice and then you can just pour it at and clean your carboy as per your normal cleaning process.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley
12-23-2007, 05:27 AM
If you don't have a lees stirrer handy, there's a couple of other methods.

Hold the carboy over the sink (real easy if you used a 4 liter wine glass jug), turn it upside down, and shake it hard. One by one, the orange slices will poke through the neck of the carboy and you can pull them out.

To assist the shake method, grab a pumkin carving tool left over from Halloween, one of the real slender ones. As the orange slices poke through the neck of the carboy from shaking, you can use the carving tool to hook and pull the slice out.

hollyk
12-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys.

UprightJoe
12-23-2007, 04:18 PM
I just bend a little hook into the end of a coat hanger and use that to fish out the oranges after I make JAO.

dogglebe
12-23-2007, 07:25 PM
When I make a melomel, I add the fruit to secondary. This is in a brewing bucket and usually does not last more than two weeks. Cleaning it out is easy because, well, it's in a bucket.

Phil

Teufelhund
12-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I was going to say that! :icon_thumright: Ahhhh great minds........ :laughing7:

M

I just bend a little hook into the end of a coat hanger and use that to fish out the oranges after I make JAO.