• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

yeast film

Barrel Char Wood Products

beninak

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2007
Anchorage, AK
One thing that I've noticed about nearly all my meads that are in the "bulk aging" phase is that they develop some sort of filmy sort of residue up at the top of the carboy on the surface of the mead. Whenever I thieve out a sample for tasting or analysis and the volume level drops a little bit, the residue leaves a little "ring-around-the-carboy" mark. Is this normal? Doesnt necessarily look too appetizing...

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Doesnt necessarily look too appetizing...

Unless there are little dendrites hanging off of it (making it look like a jelly fish or something), I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of your yeast will settle to the bottom but some will inevitably hang around on the top. It gets trapped in the surface tension and can't fall down. Hence, the "ring around the collar".

So, unless it starts growing tentacles or green fuzzy stuff, I wouldn't worry about it too much! A taste will usually tell you if you have anything to worry about.

TheBruce

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 24, 2007
I have experienced this with my blueberry mel made with Red Star Cote des Blancs. I haven't seen this at all with D-47 or 71b. It has been like that for about 4 months in bulk aging. I give it a visual every so often and it hasn't changed. I figure I'll just filter it when I bottle.

From what I have read it can happen that way and if it's bad you'll probably see, smell, and/or taste something fairly obviously... bad. That said, please note my "Meadmaker since 2007" tag... others probably have much more experience.

GrantLee63

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2006
Clarkston, MI
I've only noticed this on one of the meads I've made - Wrath's Chocolate Acerglyn Aphrodisiac. The last time I racked it in early November, it tasted awesome so I'm obviously not worried about it !

BTW, MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!! :cheers:

- GL63

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns