PDA

View Full Version : 1st mead, very slow fermentation

Austin9
12-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Hello all, just started first 1 gal batch of mead. It has been fermenting for about a week now but the fermentation lock has only been bubbling once every 10 seconds. I used 3lbs of clover to 1 gal water. Used a champagne yeast I used for root beer. Probably should have used brand new yeast but it's all I had around. It started bubbling the day after I pitched but has been slow. Is this ok? Should I get nutrient.....? Any advice/opinion would be greatly appreciated!

NvrWrkn
01-01-2008, 12:12 AM
It's kinda from the hip without more recipe information, but generally honey and water don't have much nitrogen content. Even though some yeasts have a low nutrient requirement they still require a decent nitrogen balance to prepare for fermentation work.

Let us know if you rehydrated the yeast, with what if you did, etc. Additionally knowing what yeast you pitched lets us know what the nutrient requirement is of that yeast and someone can give you a better idea as to what you should add, if anything at this point.

Yeast generally needs the nutrients up front to prepare to reproduction and processing of sugars. Waiting until later in the fermentation to add nutrient can sometimes lead to off flavors due to the possibility that the yeast has already slowed it's uptake of nutrients considerably. Lots of users on the board subscribe to a 2 or 3 step nutrient program that calls for less and less nutrient later in the fermentation.

You may get a boost from some nutrient depending on how far the fermentation has progressed, but I think you need to post much more detail about the ingredients and your process before you get better advice.

Good luck

akueck
01-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Also test the SG if you can, that will give you (and us) an idea of how much more sugar is left.

wildaho
01-01-2008, 04:50 AM
Welcome to GotMead? Austin9!

Can you give us some details on your recipe in bullet format (see the brewlogs for examples)? What yeast? Actual ingredients and in what order? What temperatures? What original gravity or brix, etc?. Have you aerated? How often? Added nutrients? When? How did you innoculate? Dry pitch or rehydrated? There are a lot of variables here and the more information you give us, the more help we can return!

You won't find a better place to get advice on mead than here. But we do need to know the details to be able to help you.

Welcome to the addiction!
Wade

sandig
01-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Welcome! Just out of curiosity, what are you fermenting in? I use a primary bucket and often the seal is not as tight as it should be....leaks can easily hide whether fermentation is happening or not. When you look at it, do you see bubbling? Are you aerating (first 5 days) to give your yeast oxygen? I recently did a batch in that bucket that rarely showed any signs of fermentation through the airlock....I also agree on the nitrogen advice mentioned above.

Good luck
Sandi