PDA

View Full Version : Using store-bought Chablis to make "Quick Mead"???

HarleyGurl
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm a newbee to both this web site/forum, AND to the wonderful world of Mead! I don't have time to skim thru & read the thousands of posts here, so please forgive me if this topic has already been addressed.

I have recently met some amazing new friends that love to drink and follow the Old Norse lifestyle. This is where I was first introduced to what Mead was. I have tried Bunratty Mead that was bought in a specialty wine store, imported from Ireland (YUM!) and I have also tried my friend's "homemade version" of Mead, as well.

We have bought both the 5L box, and the 4L glass jug of Chablis wine. It is poured into a large pot, then both honey & cinnamon are added. It's stirred and "warmed" until the honey melts... just a little above room temperature, then poured back into a large glass jug.

It is very good, and the group gets nice and drunk ;D Would this be considered a quick alternative to the 13 chapter process of making it homemade? I skimmed through those instructions, and that really seems like a lot of work and a long time to wait!! We basically drink this "quick version" right away, and it is made almost religiously every weekend!!

Another question I have is this... after cooking up our wine this way... Can it be left on a shelf to drink at a later time, or does it need to be refridgerated if not drank in the same evening?

Thank you for any help/advice you can offer. Someday I will try one of these recipes with water, yeast and honey!!

akueck
01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Sounds like you're making mulled wine sweetened with honey. Yummy! I probably wouldn't call it mead though since the honey hasn't been fermented, just the grapes. Definitely a much quicker process than making mead though. :laughing7:

Depending on how much honey you use, it might be ok without refrigeration. I would err on the side of keeping it cold though, just to prevent any unwanted explosions.

Welcome to GotMead and I hope you get the itch to mix up your first mead soon. Maybe you can get a white wine kit, which many homebrew stores carry (Chablis is made from Chardonnay grapes), and add honey before fermenting to make it a mead.

And check out Honeywine.com for an online store where you can buy mead from all over the world.

Dan McFeeley
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
I'll echo this -- basically what you've made is very similar to Bunratty Meade, which, if you check out how it's made, is not a true mead fermented from honey. A lot of the unique taste of Bunratty comes from the type of honey they use.

Teufelhund
01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Welcome to GotMead?!

I concur with the others. All you're doing is making a mulled wine. The fermentation was already complete and actually, the wine is different from the mead entirely.
For a very easy beginners recipe, check out "Joes Ancient Orange". They say it's foolproof, easy, quick and has good drinkable results in a short time.
A suggestion: do a thorough search before posting a question. Chances are it's been asked before and then you can narrow it down to specifics, if need be.
Again, welcome to the forum and happy brewing! So whatcha waitin' fer????? ???

:cheers:

DD

Oskaar
01-29-2008, 12:00 AM
Welcome to Got Mead?

I see you're very busy and that's something you share with all of us here. We all have very busy lives but have made an investment in mead by way of study, practice, experimentation and reading. There is a wealth of knowledge here on Got Mead for the taking. You'll be well rewarded if you take the time to learn and do as you read through the forums.

If you're not willing to spend that time I suggest you avail yourself of the commercial mead listing Vicky has put up in the main portion of the website. That way you can drink mead without having to make it. Either way you win!

Cheers,

Oskaar