PDA

View Full Version : Huzzah

just_al
01-31-2008, 10:50 AM
While searching around in my basement for something I knew would be in a box since we moved, I found an unopened box that we labled "just mead" when we packed. It has 12 bottles in it. The last time I made mead was shortly after my wife and I got engaged in March of 2000 :headbang:

wayneb
01-31-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh, man! Where do you live?? ;) :drunken_smilie:

GrantLee63
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Have you tasted it yet? What kind of mead is it? Do you have a mead-making log? Etc., etc., etc. .....

- GL63

sandman
01-31-2008, 10:27 PM
What they said... no really!!! :cheers:

ucflumberjack
02-01-2008, 12:56 AM
rock on man! thats awesome!!!!! i vote try one now and save rest for special occasion.

just_al
02-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Have you tasted it yet? What kind of mead is it? Do you have a mead-making log? Etc., etc., etc. .....

- GL63

I haven't tasted it yet (that waits until sunday)

It was probably 15 pounds of honey heated in enough water to dissolve the honey to which I added a fair amount of sliced ginger and some vanilla (real extract not imitation). I would have added water and natural apple juice to make 5 gallons and pitched 2 packets of champaign yeast. I didn't keep the log.

Some of the bottles aren't clear, they are green. I'm hoping beyond hope that it's a batch I made where I started in a bucket fermenter and had a LOT of frozen mixed berries thrown in the bucket for the primary ferment. That was the nicest red/pink color and just some of the best mead I ever made, but honestly, I can't imagine any of it survived past a year from when I dug in... it was just too good