PDA

View Full Version : frozen liquid yeast

beachfrontmeadman
02-21-2008, 09:10 PM
picked up a vile of white labs sweet mead yeast, it was taped to a cold compress and someone threw it into the freezer, do you think the yeast is still viable?

Yo momma
02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
If it's frozen, I would say yes. Buy another on and let this one thaw out. Pitch a starter and try the frozen one after it has thawed. If it doesn't work, well........... At least you have a backup. :icon_thumright:

Medsen Fey
02-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I'd say make a starter and see. If it takes off, you can whip up your must and go.

beachfrontmeadman
02-21-2008, 11:44 PM
good to know
i picked up a packet of lavin rc 212, any one know if this stuff is any good?

Medsen Fey
02-22-2008, 12:03 AM
I've not used that yeast myself, but I have seen several references to it in various threads in the forums. It seems to be particularly useful for berry melomels and pyments. If you do a forum search for RC212, you can see some other ideas.

Medsen

akueck
02-22-2008, 01:03 AM
I've used the RC212 on a melomel and a varietal mead with sage honey. Very pleased with both. Feed it well though, it's a nutrient hog!

wayneb
02-22-2008, 01:16 AM
RC212 is a great yeast to use in dark fruit melomels, as it does a wonderful job of preserving the color of the fruit, and tends also to produce more complex tasting results, with more "backbone" than a yeast such as 71B. It is the yeast I will use for my next batch of black currant mel.

But as others have said -- it is a nitrogen hog. Supplement early with DAP, and later with more amino sources of nitrogen, or expect to be presented with a dose of H2S rotten eggness in the aroma.