PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding 1 gal glass jugs

F0E-Hammer
02-23-2008, 03:07 PM
Is it possible to make a smaller batch in a 5 gal glass carboy, such as a 1 or 3 gallon batch? Or would that ruin it completely???

I'm really eager to start a batch, but I don't know if I have everything... I take my perfectionism from my mother, it drives me crazy sometimes LOL!

jjwtay
02-23-2008, 03:47 PM
I can't really speak from experience but it seems that many people have done exactly that just proportionately scaled the recipe down of course. And idk if your question actually involves finding 1 gallon jugs but I've been getting mine( getting ready for a little experiment) by buying 4L(~1gal) jugs of Carlo Rossi.

beachfrontmeadman
02-23-2008, 03:49 PM
from what i can tell, there is nothing wrong with scaling a recipe down,
when you do the batch seems to ferment faster getting you to drinkable mead sooner

F0E-Hammer
02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I wasn't so much wanting to scale down as I was wanting to make JAO in a 5gal glass carboy without modifying the recipe at all.
That is good to know tho, because I was wanting to make this http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=140&Itemid=6 in a 5gal batch someday.

jjwtay
02-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Do you mean doing a 1 gallon recipe but in a 5 gallon carb (i.e. a shitload of airspace)?

F0E-Hammer
02-23-2008, 05:57 PM
That's exactly what I'm saying :P

See, heres the deal, I have 1 6 gal bucket (food grade) and 1 5 gal glass carboy, but no 1 gallon glass jugs...

jjwtay
02-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Still don't see y u don't just go spend 6 bucks on a 1 gallon jug of carlo rossi and solve ur problem.

F0E-Hammer
02-23-2008, 06:20 PM
LOL, first reason being I'm only 19 and my parents are prudish... Next, I was going to grab the last 1gal jug of applejuice at the nearby general store but someone snagged it.... "Adventures in Meadmaking: The PRELUDE!" think it would sell? :laughing4:

Yo momma
02-23-2008, 08:09 PM
Try going to a glass recycler and see if you can find any there. Sometimes there boxes of them waiting to be crush. Save the boey's! :laughing7:

F0E-Hammer
02-23-2008, 08:15 PM
I was just now thinking that! HAHA, ya my stepdad told me to check out the recycle center but I guess I didn't keep it in my memory log, lol, thanks man!

jjwtay
02-23-2008, 08:50 PM
well with what u said it seems somehow they're ok with u making mead but not ok with purchasing carlo rossi for the jug 4 u ? just ask them to buy it then dump it if u really r that desperate. Idk several people mentions trader joes too for some apple juice u get there that comes in 1 gal containers.

beachfrontmeadman
02-23-2008, 09:17 PM
making a 1 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy is not recommended, too much head space means that you run the risk of over oxidizing your batch, having it caramelize and basically become undrinkable

F0E-Hammer
02-24-2008, 12:11 AM
I was afraid of that, guess I'll just have to be patient and keep lookin LOL :laughing7:

Oskaar
02-24-2008, 01:22 AM
Look in your local Trader Joe's, Whole Earth, Wild Oats, Henry's, etc. for the glass one gallon apple juice jugs. You get some mighty fine apple juice, and a one gallon glass jug for fermentation in the process.

Cheers,

Oskaar

F0E-Hammer
02-24-2008, 04:11 AM
Ah, thank you mashta! :notworthy:

I'll give that a try! :icon_salut:

Preliator
03-05-2008, 01:58 AM
JMO here but what i did was drive around my local area on recycle day after the holidays and found about 30 1 gallon galliano wine jugs....
also if you know anyone in a local resturaunt that sells house wine in caraffes you may get lucky.
I have also put an ad on my local craigs list for wine jugs and bottles came across a load of grolsh and flip top bottles... good luck hope it helps
anthony

gbobeck
03-05-2008, 05:44 AM
You may have good luck getting the jugs through your local freecycle ( http://www.freecycle.org/ ) group. You may also be able to score some other cool and expensive stuff too...

Teufelhund
03-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey guy,

Just my .02 worth, but putting 1 gal in a 5 gal carboy is like throwin' a weiner down a hallway. Go out and buy a gallon of cheapo $12 gallon Gallo red or white, poach the snot out of a few lobsters or an oysters munier and have a few friends over. VIOLA! Party + gallon jug. :icon_thumright:
Use a 6-1/2 drilled stopper.

:cheers:

DD

Amoryl
03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
man hearing this makes me glad my local (well millwaukee) brewshop constantly has 4pack boxes of glass gallon wine jugs for $.60 each bottle. not sure where he gets them but every time I've gone in he has 6 or more boxes full of em.

I'm also somewhat currious as to how you have a 5gallon carboy, a 6gallon food grade jug, and are looking for a gallon jug (though I'd get 2, so you can rack easier) so you can homebrew mead, yet your mom won't let you get a cheap gallon of wine. does she know what you're planning to do? personally I wouldn't do this behind her back and risk being caught.