PDA

View Full Version : Hi. I'm new.

Thirsty in NY
02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
I've made lots of beer, but I'm new to Mead. So far I've made three 1 gal batches of JAO. The oldest one is three weeks old. It smells great and like many newbies I couldn't wait and I tried some last weekend. Wow. It's already good and has a bit of a kick.

I've been reading a lot here and although I've already been through The Compleat Meadmaker, I'm still trying to sort out the difference between DAP, Fermaid-K, 71-B, D-47, Acid Blend, etc., etc..

Just a tiny bit more confusing than beer.

I also started a 5 gal batch from a NB kit using liquid yeast which I am now worried about since most people here seem to prefer dry. Their beer kits are great, so I'm hoping for good things.

:drunken_smilie:

beachfrontmeadman
02-26-2008, 05:35 PM
hey welcome to gotmead.com
feel free to ask any questions you want, though you may want to run a search, and see if your question hasn't already been answered
don't worry about liquid yeast, it works fine, my first show mead was made with white labs sweet mead yeast, and it came out amazing

Medsen Fey
02-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Welcome to GotMead Thirsty!

If you use the forum search tool, you can find posts on all sorts of topics. It may be helpful to take a look at the Mead NewBee Guide (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=108&Itemid=14) if you haven't seen it yet. As you formulate questions, I think you'll find many helpful people around here.

Obviously there are many different yeast to choose from. You are correct that the active dry yeast are favored by the majority here, and Lalvin yeast seem to be the most popular, but don't let that throw you. Some folks use recipes with ale yeast, Beninak is doing a test with several lager yeast, Joe's ancient orange uses bread yeast, and Wayneb has done some mead with wild/feral yeast from his backyard. Some of the liquid mead yeast have a reputation for being a bit difficult at times, but they can certainly make some good mead.

As you make more batches, you will develop preferences of you own, just as, I am sure, you have found various beer yeast/recipes that you prefer. Half the fun is in the learning. I would argue with you that mead is less confusing than beer - some of the various all grain batches have such complicated temperature adjustments, enzyme rests, sparging procedures and hopping regimens that I can hardly follow them. While mead can be made as complicated as you like, it can be as simple as some honey, water and yeast, along with a good measure of tincture of time.

Welcome again, and good meading.
Medsen