• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hi! My first full-size batch...

Barrel Char Wood Products

dougmedic

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Hello all...
I'm new to these boards, and a new wine/meadmaker as well...

I've made several wine kits, a two 1 gallon batches of sweet quickmeads to take to SCA events so far, but this is my first "full-size" batch, that I'm doing to bring to my nieces wedding in august.

I plan on fermenting dry and then back-sweetening to semi-sweet.
I statrd this past Friday evening (Mar.07).

Ingrediants:
7 kg Alfalfa/clover Honey (McKinnons unpasturized)
750gm Wildflower dark Honey
200 g Raisins, golden (Sunmaid, no sulfites,etc))
500ml Gwerztramiener grape concentrate (because I had it sitting around left-over)
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient (DAP)
1 tsp Yeast Energizer (generic)
Water to 25L

* Stirred 30(86)degree Must well, and took SG (1.115 after temp correction - .003)
* Aerated Must for 5 min using mixer.
* Rehydrated 10g Lavlin 71B yeast per mfgs instructions
* added Yeast to 1L of 30% strength must fo 30 min
* Added 1L to 1 gallon of 60% for 1 hour.
* Stirred 25(77) degree Must well again, and re-checked SG (1.113 after temp correction - .001)
* After noting vigourous activity in the one gallon, re-aerated must in main fermentor and added yeast mix.

The room air temp is between 20-21( 68-70)degrees, and the must reads 22(72).

March 8: Aerated well 9am, 4pm , 10pm. SG 1.102 before PM aeration.
March 9: Aerated well 9am, 1pm, SG .094 before 1pm aeration.

There is fizzing, some light foam around the edges, and fine bubbles.
Also a wonderful honey, yeasty smell.

Now, have read all that, I have a few questions;

1. Is this a good temperature for the ferment, or should I find a cooler area?

2. Should I rack to a carboy(s) around SG 1.010, as is common with wine kits?

3. I have read about adding nutrient/energizer at 1/3 & 2/3 sugar-break... For this must would that be SG 1.080 & 1.040?

4. Since I have no access to Fermaid (etc), only "Nutrient" (DAP) and a generic "Energizer", what would you folks suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Douglas

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Welcome to GotMead Douglas!

Your batch sounds really tasty, and seems to be progressing nicely. I think the temperature should be fine at that level.

If you started at 1.115 the 1/3 sugar break would be at about 1.076 and the 2/3 break at 1.038, but the yeast are usually not too compulsive about it so additions at 1.080 would not be a problem. The idea is that staggering the nutrients over times prevents the yeast from growing too large too quickly with less alcohol tolerance as a result. If you search around you will find several different approaches to how to stagger the additions and can choose the one that works best for you (and your particular yeast).

In your must, you may not need any more nutrients. Your batch is about 6.5 gallons, and typically DAP needed might be 0.5 to 1.5 grams for each gallon. At 5 tsp, you have about 20 g of DAP so you have 3 g per gallon. That should be plenty for them. If you can tell us what is contained in the yeast energizer, some of the wizened ones here may be able to give more specifics.

Racking can sometimes stall a mead that is slowing down, and I usually wait to rack until the fermentation has finished, but that is just my preference. I haven't learned of any advantage to doing it earlier.

I hope your mead exceeds expectations!

Medsen

dougmedic

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 22, 2008
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Medsen Fey said:
Welcome to GotMead Douglas!
.... In your must, you may not need any more nutrients. Your batch is about 6.5 gallons, and typically DAP needed might be 0.5 to 1.5 grams for each gallon. At 5 tsp, you have about 20 g of DAP so you have 3 g per gallon. That should be plenty for them. If you can tell us what is contained in the yeast energizer, some of the wizened ones here may be able to give more specifics....

Unfortunately I dont know the composition of the "Yeast Energizer" :(

From appearance there are several components in these approx visual proportions: Brown powder (1/2), white powder (1/3rd), white crystals -looks like DAP(1/6th).

All the man at the brewing store could tell me was that it contained a nitrogen source, vitamins, and some other nutrient material...

UPDATE:
This morning the SG was about 1.080... and still a wonderfull honey & yeast smell. :drunken_smilie:
It soooo reminded me of my gran's sunday morning honey drenched sticky buns.... Mmmmmmm

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Douglas of Yorke said:
It soooo reminded me of my gran's sunday morning honey drenched sticky buns.... Mmmmmmm

LOL, now there's a visual!

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Heh heh heh, different visual than I was experiencing. Probably not as disturbing either !! :tongue3:

Cheers,

Oskaar

Gwir

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 25, 2006
:giggle:
it sounded like cinnabon. not cobwebs. :mouth full of cinnamon raisin bran: >:D

Launcelot

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 9, 2007
Jeebus Oskaar...

If my eyes could spit ewww... You had to go and pass around that image..

I am going to go find a gallon of bleach and see if I can't rinse this effect out.

--L

UprightJoe

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 10, 2007
I'd use Star San or Idophor. You don't want to have to rinse with tap water afterwards. :laughing7:

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
LOL,

Here's something that should help block out that visual, a photo of my Oskaarz "My Berriez are Bleu" Blueberry Melomel as it hits the lag phase and starts to get really out of hand during fermentation. Purple Panty Remover on it's way to a sorority house near you!!

See here for a photo.

Cheers,

Oskaar

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Oskaar said:
LOL,

Here's something that should help block out that visual, a photo of my Oskaarz "My Berriez are Bleu" Blueberry Melomel as it hits the lag phase and starts to get really out of hand during fermentation. Purple Panty Remover on it's way to a sorority house near you!!

See here for a photo.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Nice!

But it still doesn't erase that initial image.... I think I've been warped forever now. And it wasn't your fault Oskaar, it was Douglass's. Sometimes the simplest things go awry... I just hope he doesn't post a pic of what comes to my mind!

Anyway, let me add my welcome as well Douglass: even though I will have a distinct visual whenever I see one of your posts! :laughing4:

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Launce,

Your link isn't working -- no berries there! Or were you pointing to the brown foam pic??

So I guess I'll have to snap a pic of my latest monster, a Black Currant mel that's going into overdrive in primary as I type this! Stay tuned... I'll try to post a pic when I get home tonight.

Launcelot

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 9, 2007
The brown foam is the head on a coffee batch I have just racked off, it was truly scary, I went to stir it and had an eruption on mount mead.

I looked at my lhbs, no de-foaming drops... I need to track some down for future eruption avoidance purposes.

--L

Oh, and that link while obviously inserted wrong, does go where it is supposed to wee!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns