PDA

View Full Version : Storage question

colbycurtis
03-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Hi everyone got hopefully an easy question. I live in Texas it gets real real hot here where I am at with temps in the 100,s. I have one kid out of the house and have converted his bedroom into my little meadery :toothy10:

Anyways I will use the bedroom as my initial fermentation area since we keep the house at about 72f during the summer. So my question is if I let it ferment out (Guessing 3 weeks) and then rack it to a carboy would it be ok to add a airlock to it and move it to my garage to age at this point? The garage will be plenty more warm probably see 90 to 105 temps. If not is there any time it would be ok to move it to garage (2 months 4 6 8?) This would give me more room for newer batches. Also do you really need an airlock after the initial fermentation and the first rack?

I plan on aging everything at least 6 to 8 months before bottling do I just leave it air locked until then?

Thanks in advance

Oskaar
03-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Keep it in the room. You're asking for "ass" mead if you age it in temperatures like you'll have in the garage.

Cheers,

Oskaar

liff
03-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Thinking by analogy, wine/mead/milk are all very similar in their storage conditions. All will go bad after a while (different time frames clearly), and all dislike heat. So the real question is would you put milk out in your garage?

The heat and variable temperature is how you will generate the 'ass' mead/wine/milk.

Liff

Angus
03-14-2008, 02:26 PM
colbycurtis,

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You absolutely need an airlock after primary fermentation and first racking. There could still be some small amount of leftover fermentation going on that could result in a bottle bomb if there is not a method of releasing the pressure. This could be a particular problem if you are storing it in higher temps that could set off some leftover yeast.

Angus

butterlily5
03-14-2008, 03:59 PM
And besides all that, are you going to be hogging your meads, that they'll end up taking an entire bedroom? :laughing7: I've read lots of mazers here who complain about their meads not even making it to bottling! One called them the "Transient Meads" (I happen to like that term! I'm keeping it!)

You may find storage isn't the problem, after a while.... :D