PDA

View Full Version : Check the latest Ink Pen cartoon

Dan McFeeley
03-17-2008, 01:38 PM
http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ink/2008/ink080317.gif

The guy who pens Ink Pen, Phil Dunlap, sounds too familiar with mead -- I bet he either lurks here, or may even be one of our active posters. ;D

Or at least, hangs out with Oskaar. ;D

Launcelot
03-17-2008, 03:36 PM
::busts up::

Ok, that is golden...

New desktop wallpaper...

--L

Oskaar
03-17-2008, 05:40 PM
Hey . . . I resemble that remark!

Oskaar

Yo momma
03-17-2008, 07:08 PM
NICE! rotf :laughing7:

butterlily5
03-17-2008, 10:41 PM
:icon_cheers: heeheehee! I love it! :D

wayneb
03-17-2008, 11:27 PM
Absolutely perfect!

Whoever this Phil Dunlap is, I'd like to buy him a mead! :cheers:

Angus
03-18-2008, 08:31 AM
From his cartoon, looks like you will have to buy him more than just one Mead :drunken_smilie:

wayneb
03-18-2008, 10:52 AM
You've never seen me pour, have you?? :laughing7:

Dan McFeeley
03-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Just be sure to bring a good size drinking horn. ;D

Ink Pen is a pretty good cartoon -- it's on my daily read list.

Mead gets in there every now and then. So long as Tyr is a character in the strip, we'll be hearing about mead.

Here's a bio on Phil Dunlap:

http://www.amuniversal.com/ups/features/ink_pen/bio.htm

and another link:

http://content.uclick.com/content/ink.html

wayneb
03-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks, Dan! I may drop him a line letting him know how much I enjoy his mead themed work.

Dan McFeeley
03-18-2008, 01:37 PM
He's gotta be. Check out today's Ink Pen:

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ink/2008/ink080318.gif

Mead and roquefort? He had to have read Ken Schramm's reply to the Slate article, "Is Mead Poised for a Comeback?"

http://fray.slate.com/discuss/forums/thread/916128.aspx?ArticleID=2184361

from Ken's reply:

These truths about mead are becoming well known to some in the
wine world. There are plenty of us laying our favorite meads in next
to our everyday bottles of Clos Roche Blanche, our '03 Montrose and
our favorite bottles of Mongeard Mugneret. The folks at the lead of
this comeback are not wearing horned helmets on their heads, they
are seeking to craft meads that can satisfy even the most discerning
wine or beer snob. Nicholas, I invite you to sample my Cherry mead
with the Roquefort of your choice, in my home if you are willing.
Then you will be know how well a great mead can compliment a
great food.

Ken

We were discussing it over on this GotMead thread:

http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php?topic=6455.0

I guess you can say that mead is becoming main stream when someone pokes fun at mead connoisseurs! ;D ;D ;D

If Ink Pen isn't in your daily paper, you can catch it online here:

http://www.gocomics.com/inkpen/

wayneb
03-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, he could just be reading Slate... but then we should invite him over here!! ;D

skunkboy
03-18-2008, 08:23 PM
Wow, look at the head on those tankards! Pretty carbonated mead.

akueck
03-19-2008, 12:09 AM
You know, I was thinking the same thing. Odd mead that trails huge clumps of bubbles everywhere... I suppose it's boring to draw still mead.

Angus
03-19-2008, 08:09 AM
I was wondering the same. I think that many people who have not tried Mead have the impression that it is more similar to beer than wine; a frothy, sweet concoction made from honey. I have even thought about trying to make one based on this impression but am afraid that I will only get a weak, bubbly, honey drink with no body. May be worth an experiment though.

Angus

Oh, and Wayne. One day I hope to see you pour me a tankard or two ;)

wayneb
03-19-2008, 10:46 AM
When most of the uninitiated think of mead, they're really thinking of a braggot. At least that's the misconception I had to deal with when I introduced still meads to a lot of the folks in Ansteorra (SCA reference) back around AS 15 (another SCA reference -- that's back in the early 1980's). There was only one other person in our area making still, wine-strength meads back then. Everyone else was dumping a few pints of honey into their favorite ale recipes and calling it a mead.

Old concepts die hard....

ken_schramm
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't think this guy is uniformed. He may be playing on a stereotype, but I'll bet that is for convenience and his audience, not out of ignorance. He's a former ad agency guy, and some of the smartest folks I know are ad people. Every word he writes is good, and I don 't care if he's making fun of me.

If anyone knows how to get a hold of him, I'll definitely send him a bottle, and a wedge of Maytag Blue. I'm going to get in touch with United Press Syndicate, but that could be a tough path to success.

Launcelot
03-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Ken,

Shoot me an off-site email. I will get you in touch.

::looks around::

Hey, I am nobody, but I do write professionally, and know a lot of people in the journalism world ::grins::

--L

wayneb
03-19-2008, 09:21 PM
I don't think this guy is uniformed. He may be playing on a stereotype, but I'll bet that is for convenience and his audience, not out of ignorance. He's a former ad agency guy, and some of the smartest folks I know are ad people. Every word he writes is good, and I don 't care if he's making fun of me.

If anyone knows how to get a hold of him, I'll definitely send him a bottle, and a wedge of Maytag Blue. I'm going to get in touch with United Press Syndicate, but that could be a tough path to success.

Not just any ole' Blue, eh, Ken? ;)

Well, he's certainly worth it -- and I don't think he's making fun of you as much as using the Slate Fray "interchange" as a springboard for cool ideas. He probably saw "Mead" in one of the kicker links on Slate, and said to himself... "Hey, Tyr fodder!!" He most probably couldn't resist going after it (and by association, you!). :laughing7:

Dan McFeeley
03-20-2008, 08:36 AM
I don't think he's directly making fun of Ken -- it's an inside joke, something only a few people are going to get, and a compliment to Ken. Sort of like when Miriam was writing the "Mead of St. Winston" saga. We all got a huge kick out of which one of us she was going to insert in the story next.

As far as the frothing tankard in the cartoons go, look no further than the GotMead logo for an example. ;D

It does seem that Phil has more than a passing interest in mead -- he was familiar with Buckwheat honey in mead, something that has been discussed on these forums and the Mead Lovers Digest.

The saga continues -- Tyr is demanding a job as a pitchman for "one of those hip new meadmakers."

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ink/2008/ink080320.gif

butterlily5
03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Touche, Dan, about the GotMead? Logo. I had not noticed that before! :D

wayneb
03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
OK - Dunlap's capped off the thread with the best possible panels, IMHO:
http://www.gocomics.com/inkpen/?ref=ql_cmcs&campid=0&ssns=9&

Absolutely perfect!!

ken_schramm
03-21-2008, 05:56 PM
"You can say any cockamamie thing you want and no one will know you're making it up as you go!"

Hmmm; that's pretty much the essence of writing a comic strip, no?

I'm not exactly feeling the love from Dunlap here, Dan. So exactly what are you supposed to think when you and the beverage you love are being derided by a fictional Viking in a syndicated comic strip? If I were smarter than everyone else, I would surely know. Clearly I have not had enough mead yet. Still, any ink is good ink, and lo, the ink doth pour forth in abundance...

Thanks (?) again, Phil.

KDS

wayneb
03-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Awww, Ken. I'm reading it as totally tongue-in-cheek. Maybe it's just me, but I think he's setting up his Viking for an encounter with the "real" meadmakers of today.

Let's hope so, anyway....

ken_schramm
03-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Wayne;

My tongue is in my cheek, too. Phil's strips may be compliments. I've never been one to read the social cues very well. If they are compliments, they are as left-handed as they can be - so far left, they're right, in golf parlance.

We know Phil (Tyr) can serve, let's hope he can also volley. Perhaps he will come out of the woodwork, if prodded enough.

KDS

wayneb
03-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Gotcha! Yeah, I'd like to "mead" the man some day!! :cheers:

Dan McFeeley
03-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Looks like Phil is playing with two extremes -- Tyr who slams flagons of mead and hardly tastes them v/s mead drinkers who wax overly eloquent about their favorite meads. This being a cartoon with a bit of an ironic edge to it, I'm not expecting a happy medium to emerge. It wouldn't be in character. ;D

I can almost picture how this particular series started -- on a caffeine fueled night Phil reads Ken's words "The folks at the lead of this comeback are not wearing horned helmets on their heads . . . " and yells out "Perfect! I'll use Tyr for this one!" Hence, Tyr, the mead pitchman. ;D

I can see one problem coming out of this cartoon series -- readers will be intriqued enough to ask about mead at their local supply store but there may only be some poor examples on the shelfs.

I remember the first commercial mead I tried, a number of years ago. It was awful stuff but not knowing better, I assumed all commercial meads were that way.

I'd also made my own first batch at about the time I tried that mead -- a historical recipe from the 1800's, made in a crock pot according to instructions, using honey, water and bread yeast. I guessed at the amount of honey since the recipe didn't specify. My mead tasted about the same as that commercial mead, so I thought I was doing alright at the time. ;D

wildaho
03-22-2008, 03:00 AM
Looks like Phil is playing with two extremes -- Tyr who slams flagons of mead and hardly tastes them v/s mead drinkers who wax overly eloquent about their favorite meads. This being a cartoon with a bit of an ironic edge to it, I'm not expecting a happy medium to emerge. It wouldn't be in character. ;D

Exactly. And what about the irony of Tyr? He who (supposedly and traditionally) drinks frothy mead is lost in the new world, in more ways than one. If anything, Phil is poking fun at wine snobs more than anything and subtlety pointing out alternatives.

I can almost picture how this particular series started -- on a caffeine fueled night Phil reads Ken's words "The folks at the lead of this comeback are not wearing horned helmets on their heads . . . " and yells out "Perfect! I'll use Tyr for this one!" Hence, Tyr, the mead pitchman. ;D

I can see one problem coming out of this cartoon series -- readers will be intriqued enough to ask about mead at their local supply store but there may only be some poor examples on the shelfs.

I remember the first commercial mead I tried, a number of years ago. It was awful stuff but not knowing better, I assumed all commercial meads were that way.

I'd also made my own first batch at about the time I tried that mead -- a historical recipe from the 1800's, made in a crock pot according to instructions, using honey, water and bread yeast. I guessed at the amount of honey since the recipe didn't specify. My mead tasted about the same as that commercial mead, so I thought I was doing alright at the time. ;D

I've only tried four different commercial meads. Chaucer's was waaaaay too minerally for me, bad experience. The others I've tried were all from Camas Winery here in Idaho and were all just short of gaggingly sweet, except for their Tej. Thank god I had tried my own before I'd tried the others.

Most who are intrigued enough from the strip to try one are probably in for a bad experience unless they hit a regional good one.

That is not Phil's fault. It's more the fault of the market.

And Ken, I think it's a huge compliment to you. My god! Who else could pair a mead with a roquefort or bleu? I tried it last weekend with my cherry mel and some true Stilton. Damn dude, you nailed it! What an incredible and unexpected match! :notworthy: Thank you! It's not something I would have even thought of until I saw your response to the dick head on Slate. It works. Quite admirably and then some.

Wade

ken_schramm
03-22-2008, 09:15 AM

OK, so I'll thicken my skin up and not be so touchy about this.

Speaking of caffeine fueled, that Slate reply was written in a hotel room in Berlin at 2 in the morning, and then posted the next morning when I woke up. I love Germany.

Dan McFeeley
03-22-2008, 10:45 AM
See where writing a first reference book on the subject gets you? You end up sparking a thread on a syndicated cartoon. ;D

So when are you going on the Daily Show? ;D ;D ;D

There's some food for thought in yesterday's Ink Pen -- Tyr says that mead is so obscure that "you can say any cockamamie thing you want and no one will know you're making it up as you go along."

That's actually very true -- what kind of standards, general agreement, collective wisdom, ect., are there in the mead community that allows us to tell the not so well informed from the true mead connoisseurs? Drop a few lines about somebody serving a Cabernet Sauvignon with fish and you can almost feel the shudders among people who follow wine. If you enjoy wine, this kind of info quickly becomes common knowledge. Garrett Oliver's book, "The Brewmaster's Table" has gotten a lot of attention, and it draws from already accepted pairings of beer and cuisine around the world. Where does mead fit in? I'm assuming that there are similar standards in places such as Brittany France, but how well known are they?

Not long after the Slate article came out I sent an e-mail to Bill Daley, who writes the Drink! column for the Chicago Tribune, pointing out that he had covered a number of different drinks but to the best of my knowledge, had never looked at mead. I sent him a few links including the meadery directory here on GotMead and also your response to the Slate article, since it covered mead and food pairings. I haven't heard back from him, but I'm hoping he feels intriqued enough to do a future column.

ken_schramm
03-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, today he's having at ad men, so I guess I definitely have to lighten up.

Dan, I think the only way I could get on the set at "The Daily Show" would involve an adrenaline-drenched scene replete with security guards, my face on a cold concrete floor and handcuffs. I'm not going there. Last time was a disaster. I still have no idea where all of that blood came from, and I never thought it would be that hard to pull a cork out of a bottle at full sprint. Maybe I should have rehearsed that move. I don't think Emeril Lagasse will ever want to hear about mead now, and Jean's said she'd never posting bail for me again. ;D

Launcelot
03-22-2008, 08:34 PM
::wanders in Whistling::

Ken, brother... You need to relax... I used to get *REALLY* pissy when my column was attacked... Then I realised, they only pick the fights because I am established as something of a person in the know. Then I realised that them wanting to take me on, was them wanting to take on the "Big guy" in the scene...

In this case, you are not only a "big guy" in the scene, but brother, how many mead books are there out there... Hmmm... Amazon Says...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/104-6863744-0259953?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=mead&x=0&y=0

Yup... one... And one book of recipes... and one dude named mead...

Hrmm..

Ok, you are standing alone on the top of a smallish mountain, your choices are ::laughing:: sorry, Zork reference.

In any case, you are it brother, you are the "Published Expert" If there is fun to be poked, it will be poked at you...

Then again, you are *not* promoting as a wine snob... Matter of fact, the "snobbery" of the wine scene doesn't seem to exist here... And between this site, and your book, we have covered the *MAJORITY* of information that is actually available.

I have been hunting to get in touch with the cartoonist, I have a call with his Agent on Monday. I will ask the guy a few questions and report Back, unless there is a negative response from Vicky/Oskaar, I will be inviting him to the site and letting him know, if he wants it, there are a lot of people with damn good brew more than willing to hand off samples and you know what... I can't picture a cartoonist saying no.. They generally are about as well known as obscure book writers and Advice columnists ::coughs:: not that I know of anyone that will admit to being an advice columnist.

The things that are obvious...

He read Slate.

He read your response.

He thought that the idiot writing the slate article was a wine snob.

He is making fun of the whole situation.

Mead and Viking lore go hand in hand, if we as a community try to deny this, we are not only foolish, but are in effect shooting ourselves in the foot, trying to pull off the "Knights of Columbus" bit. I would not want to admit that my ancestor was a political prisoner and incompetant colonist, but hey, I am proud of my fine Irish Heritage.

Take it all with a grain of salt... Have a mead... No, not the green bottles that say "Pineapple mistake, do not open until 2010" I think the only person that will be sampling that is Oskaar, and then only to tell me if it just needs aging... or to be poured out.

--L

ken_schramm
03-22-2008, 09:22 PM
::wanders in Whistling::

Ken, brother... You need to relax...

Take it all with a grain of salt... Have a mead...

--L

Better and more appropriate advice may never have been uttered on this board.

Ken

Launcelot
03-22-2008, 11:02 PM
::blinks::

Wow... I sounded almost profound... Ok, you are hired, I have no idea what they pay my current editor but he really sucks.

Hope working in the beautiful heart of Downtown nowhere appeals to you, the pay sucks, and the building is kind of trashed, I never actually go there but I think the editors do...

::grins::

--L

wildaho
03-22-2008, 11:44 PM
Okay, now I KNOW this guy is reading this forum now. Did you check out today's strip on irony?

Speak up Phil! And welcome aboard!

Dan McFeeley
03-23-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm pretty sure he's been reading the forums also, but more than likely this series with Tyr had been penned out not long after the Slate article appeared. Cartoonists usually keep well ahead of things, maybe a few month's strips drawn up at at time, in order to keep up while dealing with the ups and downs of everyday life.

A recent example -- Brooke McEldowney. He had surgery recently and was out for a little while. The regular strip, 9 Chickweed Lane, kept going with no interuptions but Pibgorn, which he does one at a time, stopped for a little while.

wayneb
03-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, whether Phil's lurking here or not, I don't expect him to be revealing himself to us anytime soon. Most folks of any note are these days cited in hundreds of online quotes, references, blog postings, etc. Heck, even I've got citations going back nearly 20 years that are readily pulled up using Google. But Mr. Dunlap appears to be a man who values his privacy -- there's almost nothing on him at all out there in the virtual universe -- save several dozen second source references that are all taken directly from his official syndicate bio.

Dan McFeeley
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
http://gocomics.com/inkpen/2008/07/10/

Well, I suppose being a god, he would suppose it's owed to him. ;D

Oskaar
07-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Ummmm . . .. VIKING! LOL

Cheers,

Oskaar