PDA

View Full Version : Might have messed up my chocolate mead

colbycurtis
03-25-2008, 03:02 AM
OK well need some inputs here. I made my first one gallon batch of chocolate mead and I thought I would slowly very slowly stir it like others until it's 1/3 breakpoint. So as I slowly stirred. It started foaming terribly so bad I had to transfer it to a 2 gallon plastic container which caused more foam. Now the foam bubbles are not going away they look like they are forming some kind of nasty hard layer on top it looks like solidified foam. What should I do anything? So when you make chocolate mead do you not stir to add air like others to the breakpoint?

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Colby,

I would manage the chocolate foam the same way I would manage a fruit cap on a melomel. Take something and break it up and gently stir it into the batch. The fact that you had a healthy fermentation when you transferred containers means that the mead was likely protected by a good layer of CO2, so it should still be good. Working the layer of foam back into the batch will help extract some more of the chocolate into it.

Good luck,
Pewter

colbycurtis
03-25-2008, 12:26 PM
You were correct sir, Thanks for the tip. I just need to learn patience. I slowly very slowly pushed it back into the must and very slowly released the gasses then was able to aerate it and it looks good now thanks.

P.S. I racked my first gallon batch that I started on March 09 2008 today it was easy and it looks good so far it is already settling again still not see through but it's a very light color so it's getting there.

Pewter_of_Deodar
03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Even after a year and a half, my Chocolate Mead was still like muddy river water...

I am going to look at filtering batches like that in the future...

Wolfie
03-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Beeboy used a fining agent with success. I plan on adding finings to my Cherry Cocoa mead before my next racking.
Curious to see how that will change the flavor once there is not actually cocoa in suspension, right now I'd call it muddled, but patience is supposed to be the watchword on these ones.