• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

thinking outside the box

Barrel Char Wood Products

colbycurtis

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 12, 2008
I was wondering since I keep all my supplies in one spare room could I buy a UV Light room sanitizer like the germ guardian for the room? Would it work? I was thinking if these things worked all I would have to do is rinse equipment with hot water after use and keep it in the sanitized room. Here is a link to read up on this thing

Here is info on it
Product Description

Germ Guardian, Plug In Room Sanitizer, Uses UVC Light Technology Natural Way To Kill Germs Without The Use Of Chemicals, Produces No Ozone, Destroys 99.9% Of Airborne Germs Including Flu Viruses And Other Airborne Germs, Destroys Mold Spores, Allergens, Proven To Eliminate Orders Caused By Smoke, Pets, Mold, Cooking, & More, Disinfects 450 Cubic Feet Of Air Per Hour, Works In Any Room Great For Bedrooms & Bathrooms, No Filter To Replace Or Clean, Whisper Quiet Fan Operation, 1 Year Limited Warranty. *This item usually ships in 4-6 business days.

* Manufacturer: GUARDIAN TECHNOLOGIES LLC
* Model Number: GG1000
* UPC code: 895916001124
* SKU: 279155
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=175207

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
It could be helpful, but you should still maintain standard sanitation practices. Items like vinyl buckets can hide microorganisms in the tiny minute scratches or depressions in the plastic, water pooled in tubes or carboys may dry out but still leave spores, ect. It's a good idea not to leave anything to chance.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
This device is certainly an interesting idea, but I agree with Dan that I don't think it will replace other sanitation. It may remove many airborne contaminants, but there are many things that spread by surface contact - and those surfaces can include your hands; your clothes; fruits, herbs, spices you may be adding; and the extremities of pesky fruit flies and other unwelcome visitors. Still, a gadget like this might really help minimize some contaminants. I'd be interested to learn more.

Thanks for posting innovative ideas.

Medsen

jd_tighe

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 3, 2008
Ontario
Having just done a microbiology lab on the effectiveness of UV light on bacteria, I would say don't depend on any UV sanitization equipment. UV light has very limited range, and does not effectively penetrate even clear plastic, so anything not in a direct line of sight would be unaffected. UV works by mutating chromosomal DNA, preventing binary fission (reproduction), but many bacteria can repair this damage as soon as they are removed from direct exposure. So I would say save your money. Just my .02.
Justin

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns