PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances that my yeast is DEAD?

Orangevango
04-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I just mixed up a batch of cyser and for some reason, I decided that the areation was suposed to come after pitching the yeast. So i pitched my yeast (fleichmann's bread yeast) and then violently shook my gallon jug for like 2 minutes before realizing my mistake. So, my question is, would that kill my yeast? How long should I wait before scrapping the batch? 2 or 3 days? A week?

wayneb
04-02-2008, 12:00 AM
If the yeast was already hydrated before you shook the c$@# out of it, you should be fine! Relax, don't worry, have a glass of mead....

wildaho
04-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Welcome to GotMead? Orangevango!

I highly doubt your yeast is dead. Aeration works equally well after pitching as it does before pitching. In fact, it's a good practice to aerate it once or twice a day until it reaches the 1/3 sugar break.

What makes you think it's dead?

Can you give us complete details on your recipe and procedures in a list format so we can help you narrow it down? The more info we have, the more likely we are to be able to narrow down any problems. You'll find that this is probably THE most helpful site on the interweb thingie but we can't read your mind. Help us help you!

Please include all ingredients, the amounts, how and when you added them and the temperatures involved. In particular, what type of apple juice did you use? Was it just pasteurized or did it contain any preservatives like sulfites or sorbates?

Also, if you haven't seen the Mead NewBee Guide, (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=108&Itemid=14) it's a great place to start. A lot of questions will be answered there.

Welcome to the Addict... uh Obsess... uh Hobby!

Launcelot
04-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Maybe they are dizzy ::grins::

Welcome aboard!

--L

Medsen Fey
04-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Welcome Orangevango!

Whether you aerate before or after pitching yeast should make no difference - the aeration will help the yeast. Is your batching going yet?

Medsen

beachfrontmeadman
04-02-2008, 12:11 PM
hey welcome to the addiction,
no i don't think you yeast is dead, if you are having trouble it is more likely other factors
is your gravity too high
is your must to acidic
did you add any nutrients, if not this could be the problem
your using bread yeast, its not really supposed to be used for wine, and may take a little longer
but all in all i have a feeling that you are ok and you just need to be patient

Angus
04-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Welcome OrangeVango,

The first question I would ask is how old the yeast was. I had some bread yeast in a jar in the fridge for a couple of years, tucked away nicely at the back, and it was completely dead. Was it new? Do you still have some? If you do, then proof it by adding a little to some warm water with sugar. If that starts bubbling away, then your problem is elsewhere.

And as wildaho said, please post your recipe and procedure.

Angus

Orangevango
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Pretty sure its ok, no bubbling yet, but there's a bunch of foam forming on the top. (not sure that foam is a good thing, but it indicates fermentation, right? Its a layer about 3 inches thick.)

Launcelot
04-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Ok, I am nowhere near the expert that the other lads here are....

But a 3" foam cap is a pretty good indicator that you have a successful yeast action.

Stir it back down in and see if it re-forms. If it does then you have a leak somewhere keeping you from getting bubbles.

--L

Orangevango
04-02-2008, 04:49 PM
Its now bubbling, i just didnt wait long enough before panicing!!!

Thanks a bunch for the warm welcome, hopefully this will turn out.