View Full Version : Estimating time left until bottling by bubbles per minute.

04-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm trying to guesstimate when the two meads that I didn't keep accurate records on (ie, I didn't write down their starting SG).

I am basically only going by the bubbling in the airlock. All of them are bubbling at least once every 2 or 3 seconds.

I found this old post by Oskaar here,

And this is still the current consensus? Rack to new carboys after seeing a bubble once every thirty seconds or so. So until I get to that point I should be okay on these two batches?

04-05-2008, 12:25 AM
A hydrometer is your best friend!

Bubbles are inconsistent (leaks, etc.) but if everything is good, then yes, that's a fair guideline.

04-05-2008, 12:50 AM
i can't reiterate wildaho's statement enough
bubbling is not a good reflection of late stage fermentation
even if you haven't taken specific gravity tests before on the batch, a hydrometer reading is the best judge
unless you used a very high alch tolerate yeast you are likely safe with a sg close to 1.000
if it is very tolerant such as a champagne yeast, or something else bread to ferment totally dry, then i'd look for something less than 1.000

04-05-2008, 01:03 AM
This is why we are supposed to keep a brewlog! I made the mistake with these two, and while the SG's are dropping...I'll never know when it's done. It's nowhere near close to 1.00 though.

Still at like 1.019 when I checked one of them today!

04-05-2008, 02:43 AM
Even if you don't know the OG, you can still figure out when it's finished fermenting with your hydrometer. When the SG is stable for a week, you're safe to rack*. Where the SG will land depends on the yeast, the OG, nutrition, etc., but at least you know that when it stops dropping, the yeast are done eating.

*assuming your fermentation isn't stuck. but at 1.019 and dropping, you should probably be fine on that front.