• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

"Tipsy's Liquor World" - Unfortunately a(n almost) Mead Free Zone

Barrel Char Wood Products

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I just had to check out a place that just opened in Littleton, Colorado (Denver's western suburbs) earlier today -- after all, they are billing themselves as Colorado's Largest Liquor and Wine store. :icon_salut:

Unfortunately, what I found was lots of synthetic ambiance, wide aisles, and not much to speak of on the shelves comprising those aisles. At least not much associated with mead. So after wandering around the place for about 20 mins, I pigeonholed a guy in a dark grey jacket with the title "Wine Supervisor" on his nameplate, and I asked him where I could find the meads. "Mead?" he said, "I know we have one mead on the shelf over here," and he led me to the far corner of the "misc wines" row, where he discovered for himself that he indeed had more than one mead -- all of three Redstone products, and Chaucer's.

I waited for weeks for this place to open, figuring I might have a chance at finding a selection at least coming close to the only decent place I've found so far to buy meads in Colorado (it happens to be in Boulder), only to have my hopes dashed. :sad11:

So I asked him if he was aware of the International Mead Festival, or the association that has conducted the Fest for several years right in the general neighborhood. He was totally clueless.

Clearly, with several operating commercial meaderies within 50 miles of this place, one would logically expect "Colorado's Largest Liquor Store" to carry a bit more than the basics. Instead, Mr. J. Weeks, C.S., has virtually no knowledge of the beverage that we all love. ("Oh, they make mead in Poland, too??") :sad5:

Also clearly, if these guys don't know what we are talking about when we ask for mead, a whole lot of work needs to be done by the commercial producers themselves to push on their distributors for shelf space at these new venues.

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
HAH!! and this surprised you how???

It continually astonishes me how many blank stares one can get just by mentioning the word mead. Actually finding it in a store is the part that always shocks me. With so many meaderies in your area though I'd sure think they'd at least have a clue about it. Go figure...

Summersolstice

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 14, 2005
Central Nebraska, USA
Whenever I get to Denver I hit Applejacks. I usually buy a case of mixed wines and I've found their selection of mead to be better than what I'm used to at any other liquor store I've seen. Really, though, with online shopping there's no need to go without anything. I've ordered from honeywine.com and have been very happy with them.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
I know -- but I have to admit that when I'm in the mood to try something new, I like to pick up the bottle and look at it a bit before laying down the cash and heading home with it. That kind of "tactile satisfaction" isn't possible through internet/mail orders. Call me old fashioned.... :D

If you ever get up to Boulder, give Liquor Mart a try. Their selection trumps Applejacks', and they carry many of the Stawski imports (including Apis' Jadwiga).

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns