PDA

View Full Version : When do you decide to dump it down the drain?

sandig
04-21-2008, 12:30 AM
I made a pumpkin mead last July. This was my "learning curve" newbie 1st batch. I am not sure how to attach a link but my brewlog is in the end of July 2007 Brewlog section.

After tasting this batch way back when, it had a strong rocket fuel taste. I added about a half gallon of honey around Jan. to backsweeten. I tasted today (the mead is now 9 mo. old) and it is getting a sour taste. (No sign of any mold, infection, or anything, it is very clear). The rocket fuel taste has faded a lot from where it was, but now it just tastes a little like sour something. I can't place the sour taste. It is definitely alcoholic....just does not tastet good compared to what I make now. At this point I would say it is still undrinkable.

Will time make a difference.....or should I cut my losses and dump it?
Sandi

Yo momma
04-21-2008, 06:15 AM
I have only lost 1 batch which turned to vinagar. It was not palatable by any means. At 9 months it should have blended well. In my opinion cut your losses or you could send a bottle to a more experienced brewer and get it analyzed by them to see what they think. Oskaar or Vicki is probably your bst bet. Good luck!

Scadsobees
04-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I just dumped a bunch of pearapple mead after 1.5 years. It had a bad flavor that was from the juice that oxidized when I extracted the juice from the pears. I needed the carboy....

I first bottled 5 bottles to see what happens with time, but after this long I don't think that flavor was going anywhere.

I agree with Yo momma to cut your losses, but I'd recommend bottling a few and putting them away first.

sandig
04-21-2008, 10:47 PM
:sign18: I am guessing this would br Osskar's response to a bottle of this showing up at his house ;D

Guess I am chalking this one up to my learning curve!
Sandi

skunkboy
04-21-2008, 10:53 PM
If you have room, you should consider bottling at least some of it. That would allow you to see
what happens to it as it ages. Well, that, and you could label it with a skull and crossed bones... >:D

Oskaar
04-22-2008, 12:20 AM
You can always toss some Mother of Vinegar in and have some nice malt vinegar for your fish and chips!

If you want to send one my way let me know, I'll check it out.

Cheers,

Oskaar

sandig
04-22-2008, 05:23 PM
:laughing7: I am not sure it is worthy of the postage to ship it out. I may rack it one last time and let it sit through the summer. I would not call it straight vinegar, it could just be a sour taste from the canned pumpkin...and be in desperate need of backsweetening. As long as I have space in the pantry, it can sit as long as it needs. Will taste it again in 6 mo.

Sandi

Teufelhund
04-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Sandi,

I agree with Oskaar! Send him a bottle but just make sure he films it for futures sake! Got to capture that look on his face. Hehe That's why he's making the Big Bucks! I got to get away with it once. :laughing4:
I'm really considering tossing my Joes Ancient Orange Abortion down the toilet too, but remembered I have weeds in the yard....

:cheers:

DD

papasmurf
05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
teufelhund, joe's ancient is pretty fool proof.. how did you make a boo boo? :icon_scratch:

papa.

Leonora
05-22-2008, 08:17 PM
I am a big fan of "tweaking". I got 4 gallons of a "braggot" made by my brewclub. It was hot, thin, dry, and had a very wacked flavor profile.

I did the sorbate/sulfite thing and added a gallon of too sweet traditional, a handful of smoked oak chips, a pint of maple syrup, and a cup or so of chopped raisins and apricots over the past 2 months, one thing at a time.

It is now a yummy dark complex blend with subtle hints of dried fruits, oak, and maple. It is quite delish.

I did get several suggestions to dump it from people who tried it, but I decided if I could play with it and make it better, I would. What can I say, I have Scottish blood. It wasn't spoiled, it just didn't taste good.

I think that if it's too sour, I'd do the vinegar thing as Oskaar suggests. Mead vinegar is the finest. Just make sure to take your container out of your brewing area before you innoculate. The vinegar spores are very hardy.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Leonora

sandig
05-26-2008, 03:15 PM
I wish I read your tweaking note earlier :( I dumped it yesterday, my hubby needed the 6 gal to brew some beer for a camping trip.

thanks again
Sandi

Leonora
05-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear that Sandi!

Mayhaps a trip to Craig's List for your own carboys might be in order. There always seems to be somebody with a couple to sell for about $10-$15 bucks apiece.

But it sounds like you are on your way as you are happier with your more recent work. It is frustrating given the time mead takes and the learning curve. Some of my earlier mead is pretty sketchy, too!

Have a good camping trip!

Leonora

sandig
05-26-2008, 11:44 PM
You are so right with the learning curve part......I have made some amazing, or soon to be amazing cysers.....this pumpkin mead failure has made me a bit gun shy with using water instead of cider. I am going to try Oskaar's strawberry mead in a week or so, it has some strawberry juice but mostly water.

Camping will be fun, hubby's friends all brew so it is a lot of fun :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks again
Sandi