PDA

View Full Version : I have SUCH good news!!

butterlily5
04-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I am pregnant!!! :toothy10:

I'm so excited!! Please pray for us, I haven't had much luck in this venue.

It does put a little bit of a hitch in my mead-tasting plans, tho. I'll still be brewing, and making mead, but my wonderful hubby gets to do the heavy lifting, and (such a sacrifice!) tasting. Ah, well, sacrifices must be made. No complaints here, tho! I'm pregnant!! eeeheeheehee!! :toothy9:

:lovestory:

vahan
04-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Congrats!

Best of luck!

I guess you'll be bulk-aging your mead a little longer than anticipated! Though beer (and probably mead) does help breast milk come in after delivery!

As you can see by my avatar, I like kids.

cheers,
vahan

GrantLee63
04-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Way to go Butterlily5 !!!!! .... I remember when my wife told me the good
news for the first time almost 32 years ago ...... MAN !!! I'm getting old !!!

Kids sure are cool though ..... :headbang:

- GL63

Brimminghorn
04-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Congrats Butterlily,

Thats Awsome news!!!

Cheers,
Jon

Oskaar
04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Congratulations!

Another future mead maker on the way!

Cheers,

Oskaar

beachfrontmeadman
04-24-2008, 06:18 PM
thats awesome, good for you :toothy10:

Medsen Fey
04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Congratulations!

UDV
04-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Who is going to start a batch for them to deliver in nine months? :) Any good 9-month duration recipes?

Brad Dahlhofer
04-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Congratulations! We just had our first (a boy) on New Years Eve.

You should think about making a batch to lay down until he/she is old enough to drink it with you.

Best of luck,

Brad

akueck
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Awesome!! Congrats!

I agree, time to start planning on the 21-year mead. It's almost enough motivation for me to start having kids. ;D

And you know, they're being more and more forgiving of the alcohol thing. I'm sure you could sneak a few quality control checks in without any harm. You know, if you had to double-check the husband. ;)

wayneb
04-25-2008, 12:33 AM
That's FANTASTIC News! Congratulations!! I remember the first time we found out that we were going to have a baby -- over 15 years ago -- and I still remember how excited we were!

ucflumberjack
04-25-2008, 02:12 AM
Im thinking something with buckwheat honey, high alcohol content, lots of spices, and semi-sweet finish... lol Congratulations! I should be starting another braggot soon maybe itll be ready in 9 months. If its any good at that point ill send you some, you know, for the kids sake with the breast milk and all....

crowquill
04-25-2008, 06:06 AM
Congratulations!

Angus
04-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Congrats indeed!

Good luck with everything.

Angus

David Baldwin
04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I will echo the hearty round of congrats!

Our prayers will be with you. We have 2 homegrown and 2 foster. My oldest homegrown has another 10 years and 3 months until he hits the magic 21... He loves to help me work around the mead - especially when we start a new batch. He found the last batch at 55 gallons to be an amazing experience. My daughter spent more time snitching bits of oranges than she spent "helping" but it is fun to have them around.

Keep us posted!

David

Launcelot
04-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Congradulations!!!

It was the scariest and most exciting thing I ever heard nearly 13 years ago...

Then I got married.

To date I have never once had even a smidgeon of regret about it.

Welcome to the world of parenting... and ya thought mead was messy ::grins::

Next time you are down through my area Dinner is on me for the both of you!

--L

Lance
04-25-2008, 07:04 PM
congrats, I got the same news 5 weeks ago.....now I am gonna have a mead maker/brewing assistant

fatbloke
04-26-2008, 06:56 AM
I am pregnant!!! :toothy10:

I'm so excited!! Please pray for us, I haven't had much luck in this venue.

It does put a little bit of a hitch in my mead-tasting plans, tho. I'll still be brewing, and making mead, but my wonderful hubby gets to do the heavy lifting, and (such a sacrifice!) tasting. Ah, well, sacrifices must be made. No complaints here, tho! I'm pregnant!! eeeheeheehee!! :toothy9:

:lovestory:
Well done and congratulations from this side "of the pond".

I can't say that I'll "do" prayers. We're both agnostic/atheist, but that won't stop hopes of a fine, healthy child for you.

As for not having had much luck in such directions ? obviously all the "trying" has paid off :D

I don't follow why you feel that "it" should prevent you from enjoying the occassional drink though. As with anything, moderation is good, excess isn't. Hence a glass/unit (unit defined as about a 125ml measure of a wine @ 10 to 12% ABV) is unlikely to be an issue. So long as you generally consume a balanced, healthy diet then why should there be any problems ?

Again, well done and congrat's to both of you.

regards

fatbloke

p.s. Oh and if you find that you "crave" for a certain something, try not to choose anything too expensive or difficult to obtain :laughing7:

Dan McFeeley
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Congratulations!

It'll be fun -- and of course, sometime down the road you'll be dropping hints to hubby that maybe your first born would like a brother or sister. ;D ;D ;D

A 21 year batch -- any votes for heather honey?

fatbloke
04-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Congratulations!
It'll be fun -- and of course, sometime down the road you'll be dropping hints to hubby that maybe your first born would like a brother or sister. ;D ;D ;D
A 21 year batch -- any votes for heather honey?
Well it'd get my vote, but I understood that it's difficult/expensive to get "Stateside"? Is that right ?

I mean, I've got a batch of heather honey mead (1 gallon) that's just close to finishing the ferment i.e. it's at about 1003 but as it started at 1140 and I used K1V, I'm surprised that it's got that low :D

Irrespective, it tastes a little rough, but the yeast and honey combination tells me that that's to be expected. Once it's strained (it's got some weird granular looking sediment in the bottom of the fermenter at the moment) and racked, I suspect it'll age quite nicely (I'm gonna put a bit more honey in it anyway as I like sweet meads - about the 1015 mark).

I doubt I'd be able to keep it that long though - I'd have to bury it in the garden or something daft :tard:

regards

fatbloke

youngmeadman
04-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Well I can't just read the news and not say anything! So I must echo in the Congrats!!!!

YoungMeadman

sandman
04-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Outstanding news!!! Congrats on the pregnancy. Mine are still young enough that I remember the wonder when they first got here. You're in for a great ride. (Most of the time) ;)

Wolfie
04-27-2008, 05:37 AM
Congratulations!

and thanks for sharing the news with us on the board, it's another reminder that online communities are still a form of community! :)

Best of luck, with everything!

`z

butterlily5
04-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Thank you all!! You guys are the bestest people I've never met! :toothy10:

I hadn't thought of a 21 year mead; that sounds like a neat idea. I've gotten the finger-in-the-face "No heavy lifting!", and it's been kinda tough pinning down my husband to help me (now that he has to pay ALL the bills): I've got a 5 gal batch that needs racking, and he's after me to brew some beer... I need another carboy! :laughing7:

It's because of my medical history that everyone's being incredibly cautious. That, and the nature of my employment. I work a tough job in filthy atmospheres, and a dust mask may not be enough. So, I'm not working at the moment. :-\ (Launcelot, it may be a bit, but I'll definitely take you up on that offer!) In fact, for a while, I was practically on bed rest. :protest: I didn't like that.

Thanks again!! We here are all so excited! :toothy10: And scared, of course. But Dan, as for the brother or sister, we've already got plans for 3, so I'm running out of time! I'm the youngest of 4, so I like the "larger" family, but my mom was younger than me by 5 years when she had me, and I'm just starting! :sad1: This wasn't my plan, but it's what I get! No worries, worth it all to be able to share it with the most wonderful man on earth: my husband!! :icon_king: He just had me get my hair done, and with all the rest, they say I look 5 or 6 years younger, so, I'll take that!

BeeFolks
06-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Congratulations! Must be something in the mead - I'm 23 weeks pregnant with identical triplet boys.

Been thinking about making a brew to set aside for them, and the Heather sounds like a great idea!

FYI - when I was pregnant with our firstborn, I would taste the mead when we racked, but not swallow. (Insert jokes here.) Keep in mind, though, that pregnancy can change the way things taste.

wayneb
06-22-2008, 03:00 AM
Lori - Good to hear that you're still "hanging in there" with your boys! My wife, the NICU nurse, always worries about multiples....

butterlily5
12-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Hi, everyone!! Still here, still not a mommy yet.
My little Lily girl is being stubborn, and now I'm overdue. Ah well, genetics can be an interesting study: My oldest sis was a month overdue, my husband (oldest of many) was a month overdue, I myself gave my poor mother a heck of a time, till her doctor induced her.... I do not worry.
Just so y'all know, everything is fine; she's just taking her time.

I was finally able to drum up some help racking all my meads to put them in storage (not one has cleared yet). Somehow, there was a serious lack of mead in each carboy when we were done there (how does that happen?) :D

I was even able to make one more batch of stout.... Then I lost my brewing journals... yuck!

My dad was going to make me a fermenting fridge at one point, and have my brother-in-law the welder put together a full brewing rig, if I would make many batches of my now famous #2 Ale. Only this week did I finally track down my brewing journals! Yay!!

I somehow got hold of 5 gallons of blackberry honey, and it sits untouched.....2 empty carboys, but still no heavy lifting allowed: Doctor's orders. BTW, any suggestions on how I'd get it out of the bucket?

sandman
12-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Ladling always works as long as someone is available to set the bucket where you need it to be beforehand. I did it that way the last time I threw out my back and it worked great.

Looking forward to hearing the new one has arrived. They're a blast to have around and even more fun when they're old enough to help make the mead. (Just no tasting allowed after it ferments.) LOL

1BraddogsBBQ
12-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Congrads! We've got one due 6-27-09 So I'm looking forward to a little helper in the Meadery!

What about a Big Mead made with buckwheat honey, dates etc...

Teufelhund
12-20-2008, 05:59 PM
I don't know about making a 21 yr old mead yet but I can sure send you some of my old stuff that tastes like a dirty diaper if you want something for the kids first B-day celebration. :laughing7: You'd most likely prefer the diapers......

Congrats on being a mommy. If you come up with a recipe and name it after the little bugger, it could be a Namesake one day!

:occasion14:

DD