PDA

View Full Version : Sour batches / contamination source

Sideaxe
05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I made one wonderfull SWEET batch and others are sour . I believe the problem is contamination from bad yeast .
What are the big sources of contamination ?
Will campden tablets solve the problem ?

Oskaar
05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
WELCOME TO GOT MEAD?!

OK, before we jump to any conclusions let's find out what your recipes were, how you made them, what you did for santization, how you racked, and how they were aged. After we have a good grip on what the ingredients and processing were we can come to a much better idea of what may be (notice I say may be) wrong with your mead. It may be that they taste bad now but can age and improve, then again it may not. In order to know we need more info.

Cheers,

Oskaar

NOTA BENE: I'd like to ask that people following my post read it and hold comments until the poster has responded back with the information I've requested. I'm seeing a trend of several people responding back with ideas, guesses, suggestions, directions and a host of information based on sheer conjecture without full details of the batches being posted. I'd like to nip that trend in the bud since most questions are answered by the details of the ingredients and processing of the mead once given in full. I'll be watching this in posts on the forums much more closely going forward.

Basically the process should be this:
1. Original Poster asks a question
2. Full details of recipe and processing is requested by another poster
3. Addtional information requested is provided by Original Poster.
4. Free for all (just kidding) but you get my point.

What I'm seeing lately is:
1. Original Poster asks a question
2. Full details of recipe and processing is requested by another poster
3. Free for all
4. Partial or semi-complete details are provided by Original Poster
5. Additional free for all session
6. Threadjacking
7. Full details posted by original poster
8. Ingredient, procedural or methodology issues are noted with the full detail
9. Meaningful possible solutions and ideas are given

I'll be enlisting the assistance of a couple of experienced forum members in order to nurture this approach. I've had emails from several new users who are very grateful for the suggestions and information, but are overwhelmed by it all as well. I think this is mostly due to the fact the the folks here on Got Mead are so generous and willing to help. I mean, hey, we've all been there, confused, worried, stressed, impatient or just plain freaked-out. I'm also not saying do not post suggestions on how to fix the problem. What I'm saying is to wait until we have complete or as complete as possible detail from the orignal poster asking for help before we fire off advice.

Thanks for your willingness to help and patience with the process,

Oskaar