View Full Version : Want some bees?

UDV
05-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Sometimes you see things that defy description--

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/tus/556386972.html

Like that.

butterlily5
05-09-2008, 11:52 PM
That one had me laughing out loud. I have a spastic dog, too, so I can understand that. I think I'd rather have this problem than the one I do: My neighborhood is pretty much over-run by hornets, *grrrr* so there aren't many in the way of bees. Makes gardening kinda difficult.

fatbloke
05-10-2008, 01:49 AM
That one had me laughing out loud. I have a spastic dog, too, so I can understand that. I think I'd rather have this problem than the one I do: My neighborhood is pretty much over-run by hornets, *grrrr* so there aren't many in the way of bees. Makes gardening kinda difficult.
Not being familiar with the insects of North America, I have to guess that hornets are bigger than bee's (the few we see here in the UK are).

So from what I recall of my fathers bee keeping, he used some sort of system on the hives to keep most of the wasps out (not 100% guaranteed - but reasonably successful) so couldn't you do the same to keep hornets out of a hive ??

regards

fatbloke

butterlily5
05-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I have not been able to learn the difference between wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, etc. (the only difference I see is a slight difference in color). They are all hostile and destructive as far as I'm concerned. All I know is, I don't see bees here. :sad10:

Launcelot
05-14-2008, 03:16 AM
Up in the sac area there is a nasty mud wasp that is sting happy...

I don't have any hard knowledge on breed or anything, I just have encountered them a few times while hitting the river.

--L