PDA

View Full Version : Who's Fishing!!!!

happymondays
05-14-2008, 04:06 AM
Just curious as to who fishes out of the guys and girls on here and whats your passion, I have managed to wangle a day off today so I am fly fishing some tarns in the lake district near to me for wild brownies, blue and rainbow trout ;D

Yo momma
05-14-2008, 06:19 AM
I live in Michigan where your surrounded by water. If you don't fish here you need to move. I love fishing! :toothy10: It was a huge dream of mine to fish proffesionaly one day. I know that that's not going to happen but the love is still there. The fish I target the most is probably bass or walleye. They both are very plentiful here is the inland lakes/rivers as well as the big water. Our bass opener is the Sunday before Memorial day. Do you know where I'll be? :laughing4:

wayneb
05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I've fished ever since I was 2 years old, spending time with my Dad and Uncle on the boat that they hand-built (a vintage Chris Craft clone that they put together back in the early '50s), on all the reservoirs in NE Ohio (as well as some time on Lake Erie). Mostly we'd troll for walleye and muskies. These days I shore-fish the small mountain lakes around here with my sons, occasionally hooking a trout or two. There are some guys at work trying to talk me into fly fishing some of the rivers and streams here with them, but I haven't had the time to get out with them yet. Besides, my fly casting skills aren't anything to write home about! ;)

vanoob
05-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Sweet. A bad day fishing beats a good day at work right :)

I target a lot of species, and here in VA the Chesapeake Bay affords us a lot of variety. But my favorite is catfish (I'm from MS so go figure). Nothing like relaxing in the wee hours of the morning waiting and then trying to wrestle a 50#+ fish. The following fish-fry is pretty nice too.

happymondays
05-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Just got back had a cracking day ;D fished one tarn caught 2 wild brownies, onto another and caught a lovely conditioned rainbow not a cloud in the sky, beautiful surroundings awesome,

Yo momma I have seen plenty of programmes over here on bass fishing seems like its one of the major freshwater species you guys go for looks good fun and never say never on the professional ticket there is some pretty good money in some of the comps I have seen,

Wayne I will bet good money with some practice anyone can cast a fly reasonably well and catch fish, it just takes a bit of practice but it really is the most sensitive fishing you can get IMHO and a 2lb trout on such light gear gives a good scrap. I would take that offer up you wont be dissapointed it really is good fun and you dont need lots of kit,

I had a quick look on Wiki for walleye it says they are a close relative to our Zander which are of the Pike/Perch family (Pike is the same as what you call Muskies, Perch are smaller predators) are they similar to Muskies or smaller,

We only have small catfish over here Vanoob but on the Continent mainly Northern Spain they have Catfish that go up to 200lb and over but never fished for them yet,

Tight lines all

p.s. I put all the fish back ;)

jt852
05-15-2008, 12:43 AM
I love to fish too, but for me its more about just enjoying a nice day outside. When I go fishing, I'll typically just grab my ultralight rod and grab a nice spot on the shore (or in the boat if I'm going fishing with dad) and just toss it out a little ways and catch some panfish. Sure, they may not be quite as exciting as the bigger game fish, but the work to reward ratio is so low with panfish its hard not to enjoy them. Or maybe its just the little kid in me that enjoys the near constant action that panfish can provide. Either way, fishing is a great excuse to go enjoy a nice day, and if I happen to catch something, it just makes it that much better.

holycontagion
05-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I've caught my first few fish this year =) The nice thing about Cape Cod is that there is splendid salt water fishing from shore or jetties and right around the corner there are numerous fresh water bodies. Anyway, I've had several trout from ponds and several striper bass from the ocean so far. Only one keeper so far (28" for striper) and it was very tasty.

Launcelot
05-22-2008, 06:07 PM
::blinks::

Fishing for me is an excuse to go out, drink beer, eat sammiches and not work.

My Da was a fishermen, not the rod/reel type, but the big boat with drag nets type. So I guess I never really understood the sport fishing thing.

It isn't about "how big" a fish was, it was about how many tonnes you can gather.

::smiles::

But I will say, Killing beers and sammiches and occasionally changing bait is a lot of fun...

--L

Teufelhund
05-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Oh yeah!

Folks after my own heart! I'm a bass lover but I go for anything that swims: crappie, bluegills, cats, walleye. I haven't been out yet this yr due to my pissed off attitude towards the assholes here in OH, where we have the glorious honor of being the 3rd most toxic waste and industrial waste state! YEE f**king HAA!! We are only allowed 1 serving (6 oz) a month for 90% of the fish here and most can't be eaten at all so I've sort of lost the desire. I've found lumps of mercury in some of the fish here too and that's friggin' scary! big, blobs of it and the flesh all around it is all brown and necrotic! :icon_puke_l:
But! since some lucky person got to go out and slay some trout, I'll just post a recipe and see if you like it.

Trout, gutted, whole
Stuff with herbs such as basil, dill, thin lemon slices, tarragon, rosemary, etc...
salt and pepper, put on a sheet of foil, fold over to make a sealed packet and add some white wine (or mead!!) then seal it up nice and tight. Slap that puppy on the grill 10 min a side and you're ready for chow! You're basically making a pappillot.
I really need to leave this state! :angry3:
Have a GREAT, SAFE weekend!!

:cheers:

DD

ken_schramm
05-26-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm way into trout on flies, dramatically preferring dry fly fishing to wet, but if need be, I'll drift a nymph or strip a streamer. I tie a decent but not stunning fly (http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesK/kenschramm.htm), and am eagerly awaiting the two biggest drake hatches that we get here in Michigan, the Brown Drakes and the Hexagenia limbata. Happymondays, I, too, am catch and release, save for the Pacific salmon species, which taste awfully good and die after their sole spawning experience. BTW, could you define a "tarn" for me? I understand beats, but haven't heard that term. If ever you make it to Michigan, let me know. As long as you can dedicate three days to the task, we can put you on to fish here no matter what time of year it is (save for maybe a few weeks in January and February, but even the I know Steelheads can often be found).

I'm headed back to Patagonia in January. My brother, Mike, who introduced me to home brewing, lives in Santiago. Between his connections, and some frequent flyer miles, it can be almost affordable. We fished a few miles from the Chaiten volcano, which recently erupted and spoiled a ton of great trout water. We'll be destined for other haunts next time, I gather.

I am going north the next two weekends. With the price of gas these days, I'll likely be sleeping in a tent, to save $$ on the hotel room. It complicates the preparations, but one must do what one must do to keep one's line wet.

Oskaar
05-26-2008, 11:17 AM
You gonna score a couple excellent bottles of Chilean Red??

happymondays
05-26-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm way into trout on flies, dramatically preferring dry fly fishing to wet, but if need be, I'll drift a nymph or strip a streamer. I tie a decent but not stunning fly (http://www.flytyingworld.com/PagesK/kenschramm.htm), and am eagerly awaiting the two biggest drake hatches that we get here in Michigan, the Brown Drakes and the Hexagenia limbata. Happymondays, I, too, am catch and release, save for the Pacific salmon species, which taste awfully good and die after their sole spawning experience. BTW, could you define a "tarn" for me? I understand beats, but haven't heard that term. If ever you make it to Michigan, let me know. As long as you can dedicate three days to the task, we can put you on to fish here no matter what time of year it is (save for maybe a few weeks in January and February, but even the I know Steelheads can often be found).

I'm headed back to Patagonia in January. My brother, Mike, who introduced me to home brewing, lives in Santiago. Between his connections, and some frequent flyer miles, it can be almost affordable. We fished a few miles from the Chaiten volcano, which recently erupted and spoiled a ton of great trout water. We'll be destined for other haunts next time, I gather.

I am going north the next two weekends. With the price of gas these days, I'll likely be sleeping in a tent, to save $$ on the hotel room. It complicates the preparations, but one must do what one must do to keep one's line wet.

Ken most of my fly fishing is done in and around an area called the Lake District beautiful countryside with a lot of lakes and small Tarns, I have never come across the term only around this part of the country but any small lake or pond gets called a tarn around this area, its also a small mountain lake formed by Glacial activity.
There is a Fishing club which operates out of Windermere which is central to the area and either own or lease a lot of the waters have a look here,

http://www.lakedistrictfishing.net/ Just click on Game at the top then any of the pictures for each Tarn or Water.

One of my favourites is a Tarn which up until recently used to be a mixed Rainbow and Brown trout water, but the Environment Agency decided to enforce it be used as a wild brown trout fishery only. There is another little gem and again just brownies it really is a sight to behold some of the scenery and more than makes up for any days were the fish aren't as willing.

Pretty much same here with the flies especially this time of year lots of terrestrials and emergers doing the job, I must admit you cant beat covering a rising trout and seconds later just seeing the fly sipped under then bang, got to be one of the most heart thumping fishing you can do.

I envy you on your flies they are pretty good I keep meaning to have a go but just never seem to commit to trying I will one day, might just put a vice on the xmas list. The Hendrickson looks similar to what a lot of people use over here in variations called Buzzers they catch a lot of fish here. I switch between drys and nymphs depending on the action, but dry fly fishing by par excellence.

Now fishing in Michigan well I will definitely put that one in the diary would never pass up an offer of going fishing. Ken can you do me a favour on the Patagonia vibe I am going to look into fishing Chile as it too looks an awesome place, but if you would be as kind to give me any rivers worth a look or any areas to cover that would be great. We fished all over New Zealand a couple of years ago and it was beyond belief just totally wild fishing, so Chile was another place I would love to fish along with Alaska, Canada god I could go on and on ;D

Good luck all Tight lines,

Scott....

p.s. just edited my 2 favourite tarns by name ;)

ken_schramm
05-26-2008, 04:41 PM
You gonna score a couple excellent bottles of Chilean Red??

No question, Pete. My brother turned me on to a number of fine Chileans before they got Jay Miller's (Wine Advocate) nods. I picked up a few that he rated 95, and Mike has put me on to some others from some smaller wineries that I think are even better, although no one from the US has begun writing them up.

HM, there are some dandy trout to be had here on top during the Hex hatch. Two, three, even four pounders are not uncommon, and every year at least a couple of 10 pound wild run browns are taken. On a dry in the dark of night, it is a jolt of adrenaline that can bring one near to cardiac arrest. My friend and fellow mead lover Andy hooked one of these monsters last year. He said, "Holy &#%^," about five times in a row, and the another stream of blue language when the fish broke him off. It's pretty electric. Some of the risers sound like someone randomly dropping toolboxes into the stream.

I'll PM you after the trip to let you know about the spots we hit, and how we did. Best not to go blathering that all over boards like this, or you'll be able to walk across the stream on the backs of the humans, and that's no way to have it. I've done AK (the pic on the tying page is from Kodiak Island), and there are some fantastic spots there where you can be alone with the grizzlies, Arctic foxes and a few thousand sockeyes.

happymondays
05-27-2008, 04:34 AM
10lb er's now that would be a sight to see we can get them up that way but there either farmed or wild Ferox, the browns are struggling over here well at least the wild ones are, sounds like you have some healthy river systems which is good in this day and age.
I have never had the pleasure of hooking a Salmon and is on the to do list, the Environment Agency is the official License body in England they charge $140 a year to fish for Salmon and Sea trout compared to an ordinary license of $50 for trout and Coarse, the Salmon is only good in any numbers on certain rivers so if your not near by it can work out expensive.
Then you can go to our cousins waters in Scotland and Ireland that have no License system and its free to fish and better fishing ???

Be good to get that report off you when you go,

Tight lines all.....

p.s. do you guys have Grayling over there?

GrantLee63
05-27-2008, 05:05 AM
p.s. do you guys have Grayling over there?

Unfortunately, not any longer - at least here in Michigan where we even have a town named after the once abundunt Grayling:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10364_18958-53612--,00.html

- GL63

happymondays
05-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Thats a real shame that read, just shows you how the natural balance can be tipped too far one way if people aren't careful, they are a beautiful fish mind, we call them "The Lady of the Stream"

beachfrontmeadman
05-27-2008, 12:24 PM
i'm a trout fisher, though i'm open to anything, i also live near the sea so pier fishing for halibut, or take a day boat out
not much of a fly fisher, i dabble, but i'm more of a salmon egg or worms guy

Oskaar
05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm more of a dynamite guy!

Cheers,

Oskaar

nbagshaw
05-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Here in Va we're lucky to have a variety of finned adversaries.
Sadly, we're short a few thousand miles of limestone streams so the Commonwealth offers us stocked waters for rainbow, brown & brookies. We have native brookies but they grow smaller than the hatchery models.

Nothing I love better, though, than tying on a #16 Mr Rapidan, crawling through mud and nabbing a few natives.
Gets a bit interesting when you crawl over an unsuspecting Copperhead :o

For those of you who don't know the fly...it's a high-riding mayfly with a sharp little tuft of bright yellow and killer on rising trout and my favorite.
Check it out.... http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-mrrapidan-dry-fly

Of course, I may show up and sit on my cooler of brew and toss dynamite with Oskaar!

Neal :cheers:

Oskaar
05-28-2008, 12:28 AM
Of course, I may show up and sit on my cooler of brew and toss dynamite with Oskaar!
Neal :cheers:

Now you've got the idea!

I love the streams, rivers, brooks and creeks across the USA. We used to fish up in Bridgeport and the Sierras for some light fun. I hail from a long line of commercial fishermen so fishing to us was a no nonsense proposition. Had to pull it in to make the rent and feed the family. When we went pleasure fishing we'd take the whole family out on one of our boats and the first fish we brought in was gutted and on a grapewood barbeque before the line was back in the water. We always had a great time and ate very well.

Oskaar

happymondays
05-28-2008, 07:54 AM
I'm more of a dynamite guy!

Cheers,

Oskaar

You could try this,

Des o'Connor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEXulXsv1Hw)

quality is not the best but it is quite an old advert still funny though.

beachfrontmeadman
05-29-2008, 03:47 PM
its mostly stocked trout for me as well, though from time to time i have been known to backpack up to the high country and hook me some small, but very tasty golden trout

happymondays
07-15-2008, 06:34 AM
I am going to place an order for some fly fishing gear from Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/home/home.jsp?cm_re=store*topnav*CabelasLogo&_requestid=96675) and was thinking of trying some of the lures for pike (Muskies) so just wondered if any of you guys/lasses could recommend some lures to try out?

Tight lines and singing reels....... :cheers:

p.s. Golden trout I bet they stand out ;D

ken_schramm
07-15-2008, 06:14 PM
If you ever get the thought in your head that you'd like to try to catch a muskie on a fly, check out Steve Kunnath. (http://lakestclairflyfishing.com/index.html) I can vouch for his ability to put you on fish - I am the guy in the fifth picture down on the right. We tried to catch a musky for a while, but we were mostly after smallmouths. Steve's written on the subject of musky on a fly (http://lakestclairflyfishing.com/fly_fishing_for_musky.html) - the flies were furry behemoths of eight to ten inches, and even just the thought of hooking one of those beasts was exciting.

No fish during the hex hatch this year, as Michigan was part of the wild Midwestern rain pattern, and opportunities were best available to those who could get out when things were exactly right, and not us hacks who can only get on the water when work schedules permit.

OTOH, the hatch of tart cherries yielded almost 80 lbs of fruit this year. Mmmm.

happymondays
07-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Very interesting Ken there is a small tarn near me with quite a few jack pike (around 7lb) that I have fished for with a lure rod and always fancied having a go with the fly for them although I have never done it but keep meaning to look into it. I have a 9 weight rod but wasnt sure if that would be up to the job but I might just have a look into it and add some streamers to the shopping list ;D
Been same here with the weather rivers are up most of the time too much colour and taking ages to clear.
Some good info reading Muskie on a fly article, the perch streamer in the vice looks a good choice I catch a lot of pike on a soft jelly perch style lure.
Cheers for the link Ken now thats another excuse for a fishing trip ;)

Teufelhund
07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
happymondays wrote:>>>>>I am going to place an order for some fly fishing gear from cabelas.com

Boycott Cabelas! http://www.stripermoon.com/talkshop29/messages/641.html

>>>> lures for pike (Muskies) so just wondered if any of you guys/lasses could recommend some lures to try out?

Anything big and flashy. Gold or silver color depends on water clarity, sunny, overcast etc...

:cheers:

DD

happymondays
07-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi teufelhund cheers for the info, although the article about Cabelas is a few years old and some of the other responses seemed to be valid ;)

Yo momma
07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Pike Lures!!!!!

Huge Mepps Foxtail spinner-cloudy hot days with a strong wind. head for the shore line with deep dropoff and weeds. They tend to pick around for disoriented feeder fish and ambush them.

Blue and Siver Mundy Mauler-Sunny days with a light wind. Fish them deep around islands where you know the baitfish are. Keep in mind that most pike eat skinny fish such as Perch, Minnows and Chubs.

Red and White Daredevil-Doesn't matter when or how. They see these and tend to charge like a bull.

Buzz Baits (green and white or blue and white)-Hot sunny calm days. Head for lilly pads and heavy cover, in shallow coves ,where the sun in blocked out. They do not see well so they wait in ambush for the un-so lucky food swimming by.

We Michiganders do alot of Pike fishing from now until the end of September. They will start feeding very vigorously to put on some winter fat and wait for there spawn. Good luck and keep the line tight.

wayneb
07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Red and White Daredevil-Doesn't matter when or how. They see these and tend to charge like a bull.

Man, you just brought back tons of good memories of me fishing with my Dad back in Ohio. He always had several of those Red&White Daredevils in his tackle box to resort to whenever the walleye weren't hitting on anything else. I say he had several, because they'd often hit it so hard that he'd lose one, leader and all! ;D

vanoob
07-18-2008, 09:07 AM
All this talk of fishing makes me want to call in a sick day :laughing7:

I have to find the time to try out Pike and a lot of the trout species I've never had the pleasure to chase. Here's a pic of a lunker we pulled out of the James River just below Richmond :

http://jerryandangie.smugmug.com/gallery/3998092_qmL44#232534737_JR5uC-A-LB

happymondays
07-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Pike Lures!!!!!

Huge Mepps Foxtail spinner-cloudy hot days with a strong wind. head for the shore line with deep dropoff and weeds. They tend to pick around for disoriented feeder fish and ambush them.

Blue and Siver Mundy Mauler-Sunny days with a light wind. Fish them deep around islands where you know the baitfish are. Keep in mind that most pike eat skinny fish such as Perch, Minnows and Chubs.

Buzz Baits (green and white or blue and white)-Hot sunny calm days. Head for lilly pads and heavy cover, in shallow coves ,where the sun in blocked out. They do not see well so they wait in ambush for the un-so lucky food swimming by.

We Michiganders do alot of Pike fishing from now until the end of September. They will start feeding very vigorously to put on some winter fat and wait for there spawn. Good luck and keep the line tight.

Cheers Yo Momma will add some of those to the list, buzz baits look good, them dare devil ones do you mean These (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0023712110855a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=dare+devil&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=dare+devil&noImage=0) if so I have some of them although not in that colour, good reliable spoons caught me some good fish, couldnt find the mauler pattern though, will get an order together over the weekend thanks again for the info.

Looks like what we call a cat fish that Vanoob but a good size though, just have to prey the weather picks up now been bad here all week (rain).....

Yo momma
07-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah those blue ones are hard to find. Just find what indiginous to your lake and buy that pattern in loud colors. I have had great success with a perch style in the colors of orange and also green and blue. They are typicaly used for salmon here but work great for pike. If your looking for Musky, pick the worst day to be on the lake, i.e. windy, rainy and cold, and work the deep weed lines. Musky are not very aggresive until the weather gets rough. They are opportunists and the bait fish get all messed up on those type of days. Go around the back side of the windy points and cast accross those weed flat and your bound to get the fresh water tiger. They also stap on the feedbags in September. That's when they bulk up for there spawn and gorge themselves. I love being surrounded by the greatest fresh water fishery in the US. :icon_thumleft:

happymondays
07-19-2008, 05:44 AM
Good man Yo M, I have just started fishing a new lake that has always had reports of good heads of pike so we are finding our feet a little its 11 mile long but only about 3/4 mile wide so its pretty big for my standards anyway ;D sounds like you have a cracking lake over there, thanks for the good info.
Must be the different climates Yo M but over here Pike spawn around the end of March for about 6 weeks, we have a closed season for coarse fish (including Pike) in all rivers from March to June to give the fish a rest bite while spawning, there has been controversial talk of lifting the ban to fish year round but I think thats a bad idea personally, I suppose its ok for me as fly fishing starts in earnest in spring so its a continuous loop with no real down time, I still envy some of your waters though :cheers:

Tight lines all........

Yo momma
07-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Musky spawn in the fall here and pike spawn the same time as walleye here which is in the spring. The reason they gorge themselves now is the long lathargic wait of winter. THey do adjust to the colder water but still makes them very lathargic. HAve you ever puled a pike out with a tip-up? They really don't fight because of the cold water. That is why the gorge themselves now in the warmer water.

Yeah there are quite a few pike lakes around here. Most people don't keep them due to all the bones. The fight is what we search for. Salmon season is coming soon and I cannot wait!

happymondays
07-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Musky spawn in the fall here and pike spawn the same time as walleye here which is in the spring. The reason they gorge themselves now is the long lathargic wait of winter. THey do adjust to the colder water but still makes them very lathargic. HAve you ever puled a pike out with a tip-up? They really don't fight because of the cold water. That is why the gorge themselves now in the warmer water.

Yeah there are quite a few pike lakes around here. Most people don't keep them due to all the bones. The fight is what we search for. Salmon season is coming soon and I cannot wait!

Yes over here Pike fishing is meant to be best during the winter months but I find summer Pike more acrobatic and frisky than the colder months, cooked Pike once and although nice white flesh those forked bones just didnt appeal and plenty of them, just watched tip ups being used on you-tube wow you really fish through the ice like that, never seen that before, were lucky if it snows at all in winter let alone the lakes freezing up, it just doesnt get that cold here lol and we still moan about the weather.
Ok I have just clicked were you are in the States (looked on an old map I have) and now realise your surrounded by the great lakes, so does the salmon run to and from the sea or are they land locked?
Never had the privilege to fish for salmon its on the to do list

Yo momma
07-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Salmon here stay in the Great Lakes, fresh water, most of the year and spawn in the rivers that empy into them. Around the 2-3 week of September thru the middle of November they spawn starting in the northern rivers and work there way south. It's quite a blast. A salmon can pin point itself to where it was born and it lays it's eggs there. They live three years and then die. What a life HUH.

Yes we get around a foot of ice by the middle of January and it goes until the last part of Febuary here. Up north though they get 2-3 feet of ice and set up small towns using shanty's as there homes. Heck some people run power out to there shanty's so they have heat. :laughing7:

fatbloke
07-19-2008, 03:47 PM
You're biased Scott,

Cos you've got sh1tloads of fresh water close by!

Personally, my idea of fishing, is either scuba with a knife or waiting for spring/early summer and going out in a boat for "kamikaze" fish a.k.a. Mackerel. Just drop a string of feathered hooks over the side and wait for the daft beggars the throw themselves on the hooks.

Last time we did that, we got 96 in just over half an hour. Nothing smaller than 1lb 2oz's, and when they're baked in vinegar and pickling spices, they're bloody marvellous.

Oh and down here, "tarn" is correctly spelled town - but pronounced the same ;D :laughing7: :tard: :tard:

regards

fatbloke

lastbornjoker
07-19-2008, 10:13 PM
used to do a lot of the hook and line myself. still do a little from my kayak now the new thing is this http://www.charlestondiving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1470

happymondays
07-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Salmon here stay in the Great Lakes, fresh water, most of the year and spawn in the rivers that empy into them. Around the 2-3 week of September thru the middle of November they spawn starting in the northern rivers and work there way south. It's quite a blast. A salmon can pin point itself to where it was born and it lays it's eggs there. They live three years and then die. What a life HUH.

Yes we get around a foot of ice by the middle of January and it goes until the last part of Febuary here. Up north though they get 2-3 feet of ice and set up small towns using shanty's as there homes. Heck some people run power out to there shanty's so they have heat. :laughing7:

Agh ok I wondered if they spawned from the sea some how but I suppose the Lakes themselves are as big as seas :o, I have seen the odd programme on the salmon fishing you guys have especially Alaska the rivers are a mass with them in beautiful surroundings too.
Now that must be harsh 3ft of ice, I witnessed ice storms in Atlanta GA a few years back and that was cold trees and power lines down all over the place.

You're biased Scott,

Cos you've got sh1tloads of fresh water close by!

Personally, my idea of fishing, is either scuba with a knife or waiting for spring/early summer and going out in a boat for "kamikaze" fish a.k.a. Mackerel. Just drop a string of feathered hooks over the side and wait for the daft beggars the throw themselves on the hooks.

Last time we did that, we got 96 in just over half an hour. Nothing smaller than 1lb 2oz's, and when they're baked in vinegar and pickling spices, they're bloody marvellous.

Oh and down here, "tarn" is correctly spelled town - but pronounced the same ;D :laughing7: :tard: :tard:

regards

fatbloke

used to do a lot of the hook and line myself. still do a little from my kayak now the new thing is this http://www.charlestondiving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1470

Haha I suppose your right John only a stone throw away from all the Lakes, I used to do a lot of sea fishing too, had a few contracts in Jersey (channel Islands) and Isle of Man, fished from both shore and Kayak, IOM was good for mackerel and Pollack or as the Manx call them Callig (Manx Gaelic) and Lobster too used to have a couple of pots out that I pulled using the kayak, thats one thing I do miss Lobster Thermidor mmm.
Its definitely good fun fishing on a Kayak around the coast and the wildlife is awesome, used to have grey seals follow you around the IOM I think they have one of the biggest colonies of the British Isles. I am itching to get out again now if the weather will buck up just so much to do with so little time seems always the case, until the next trip.

LBJ there is some big fish on there I noticed the second pic what the hell is that, I bet Rex Hunt wouldnt kiss that mouth.

p.s. and up here John its Tarn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarn_%28lake%29) ;D ;D

lastbornjoker
07-20-2008, 01:22 PM
in the second pic is what we call a hog fish and a bug (southern lobster). The hog fish is supose to be exceptional eatin but is very rare to catch on a hook and line best way is to spearfish. the bug on the other hand is ok at best, it nowhere compares to the cold water lobsters up north in the cold waters but is still edible.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogfish