PDA

View Full Version : New Meadmaking Store is looking for beta testers

Brad Dahlhofer
05-15-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm in the final stages of launching a new online store for mead making. We're like a homebrewing supply store, but we cater specifically to mead makers. We're bringing in all the ingredients, supplies, equipment, etc. that you'll need to make awesome mead.

Before we launch, we're looking to the community to check out the new site and tell us what you think. Don't hold back, we won't be offended.
- Are our prices fair?
- Are we selling the right stuff?
- Are our descriptions accurate?

Feel free to offer up any suggestions you have. This is YOUR store.

Keep in mind that the site is LIVE. The paypal checkout is working.

Check it out here: http://www.allaboutmead.com

Thanks you all in advance,

Brad Dahlhofer
AllAboutMead.com

Brad Dahlhofer
05-15-2008, 01:22 PM
I've been told that there are issues when viewing the page with Internet Explorer. Mozilla/Firefox seems to work just fine.

Yo momma
05-15-2008, 05:12 PM
I have internet explorer and It will not let me view the page. I was so hoping to see it! :sad11:

JamesP
05-15-2008, 07:57 PM
I could the main page in IE V 6.0.2900.2180

but when navigating a few of the LH menu items, it gets to a point where it says

IE cannot open the Internet site
<url displayed here>

Operation aborted

Once this happens, it won't display anything.

When this popup is shown, the page is at a point where the heading and LH menus are shown, but no content or the bottom portion of the page.

HTH

akueck
05-15-2008, 09:28 PM
You should include a better description of the "complete mead kits" including: what is included, the basic premise for the recipe, places to find similar meads (link to honeywine.com?), and maybe an overview of the instructions so people can get a sense of what would be involved when putting together a particular kit.

Kudos to the website endeavor. You must be swamped!

UDV
05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
It opens up fine with Safari on Windows and on OSX.

Is there some way to do a dummy test account to add items x y and z to a cart and go through the process of 'shipping' to look for any bugs that way?

Brad Dahlhofer
05-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Is there some way to do a dummy test account to add items x y and z to a cart and go through the process of 'shipping' to look for any bugs that way?

Yes, the cart feature is fully functional. You can also create an account under the login by clicking the "Register" link.

Brad Dahlhofer
05-15-2008, 11:49 PM
Okay, I figured out that the newsletter feature was crashing Internet Explorer, so I've disabled it until I can figure out what's wrong. In the meantime, the site now works for those of you are using IE.

Cheers!

Wolfie
05-16-2008, 01:25 AM
One detail: you should add descriptors to more of your product titles. ie: 3 lb buckwheat honey or medium+ toast oak.

I know it's in the baby stages and your still hammering out details and all. Best of luck!!

JamesP
05-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Little things if you are interested:

The shopping cart for the oak cubes doesn't display correctly on IE, but is fine on FireFox.
Shopping cart for Orange Blossom honey is a bit weird on FireFox, but fine on IE
There isn't a heading if only one item is displayed, eg Spices, Oak, .. ((just a consistency thing)

Brad Dahlhofer
05-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Little things if you are interested:

The shopping cart for the oak cubes doesn't display correctly on IE, but is fine on FireFox.

Fixed

Shopping cart for Orange Blossom honey is a bit weird on FireFox, but fine on IE

Fixed

There isn't a heading if only one item is displayed, eg Spices, Oak, .. ((just a consistency thing)

This only happens when there is only one product in a category. Instead of listing each product, it opens the product details of the single product in the category. It will not be an issue once all the products have been entered.

THANKS! This is great input!

Brad Dahlhofer
05-16-2008, 10:16 AM
One detail: you should add descriptors to more of your product titles. ie: 3 lb buckwheat honey or medium+ toast oak.

I know it's in the baby stages and your still hammering out details and all. Best of luck!!

I've made some changes to the product descriptions for a few items. If a product does not specify a weigth or amount, then it is available in many weights which is selectable from the product details.

wayneb
05-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I echo the suggestion of having some summary of the directions, or at least a list of ingredients, for each mead kit. Also, I'd suggest that you rate the relative difficulty of each kit (maybe something like beginner, advanced, expert) in the initial description, so buyers know what they might be getting themselves into! ;)

yabodie
05-16-2008, 11:12 AM
A couple things and please disregard if others have addressed these:

Regarding the honey: Please state where the honey is coming from. Is it a local producer outside Stanley Idaho, or are you repacking it from Dutch Gold? Is it from the US or elsewhere?

Regarding the yeast: Add descriptions of the yeasts from the suppliers and include nutrient requirements, characteristics, etc.

Regarding oak/spices: Add some descriptors about what flavor profiles the various oak toasting and spices will add to the mead, etc

Please add a link to the top of the page to view items in the cart. I think you should be able to view what is in the cart even if you are not registered. Also is there a place where shipping can be calculated prior to submitting all the contact info? Check out Northernbrewer as an example of what I am talking about here.

So far IE is working just fine with the site. Nice work!!

Brad Dahlhofer
05-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Please add a link to the top of the page to view items in the cart. I think you should be able to view what is in the cart even if you are not registered.

Done. The cart now displays under the product listing, and I've moved Mead Education to the top menu to keep users from having to scroll down too far to find it when they have items in their cart.

Also is there a place where shipping can be calculated prior to submitting all the contact info? Check out Northernbrewer as an example of what I am talking about here.

I'll see what I can do. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do shipping. I'd like to have a flat shipping rate, but it's hard to do with large and heavy items. I could exclude those items from the flat-rate shipping program like some sites.

UDV
05-16-2008, 03:08 PM
From everything I can tell, the cart feature works exactly as promised. I was able to load/unload, change switch orders and generally try everything possible to break it, and it works.

beachfrontmeadman
05-16-2008, 06:39 PM
other than needing an expanded selection, mainly in the equipment department, think you are well on your way

liff
05-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Looks good. Maybe add Fermaid 2133 if you so desire, I am not sure how fast that would move though.

Another idea; "Mead Focused Superstore" or something to that effect instead of "Mead-Only Superstore." It may bring in more business.

Liff

GrantLee63
05-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Looks promising Brad ..... one thing you may want to consider: $99.00 is way too much for a 5 gram pack of Montrachet yeast !

- GL63

webmaster
05-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Brad, would you like 'Gotmead certified recipes' for those mead kits? Get up with me privately.....