PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions for 1st and 2nd mead

lastbornjoker
05-19-2008, 11:03 AM
ok new man here. i brewed a few beers in the past so i know just enuf to get me in trouble . Decided to try mead and went with antipodal mead recipe in the new complete joy of homebrewing. if u need details on the recipe let me know.where i mess up is it calls for 4tsp of acid blend (yea i read u dont need it but it was to late lol)I ended up putting in 4 table spoons. Will this mess it up? also i just rack it into my secondary fermenter and tasted it and it was like a kick in the gonads. will it mellow with age?Also how long should it take utill time to bottle?
ok my second thing is reading i saw a recipe i want to try something a little easier. JOE ANCINET ORANGE. the only thing about it i dont get is the refferance to cloves What is a clove? Garlic? Anyhoo thanks in advance for any replies

Angus
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Welcome Lastbornjoker,

I also made the Antipodal as my first. It came out ok, but there are some items that you should change.

First, do not use gypsum or irish moss. No need. This recipe was conceived by Papazian based on beer brewing knowledge, so these items do nothing for you.

Second, you have a problem with the acid blend. It may mellow out a bit, but you are going to have a sour drink. If it is still drinkable, then you have not lost anything. Pucker up and enjoy it. Otherwise, you could make a second batch with no acid blend, then mix the two to mellow out the sourness.

Finally, cloves are a type of spice, small brown and very strong so you need very little. Do not exceed the recipe's suggestion or it will take over the Mead.

Angus

lastbornjoker
05-19-2008, 11:31 AM
where does one buy these cloves? r they at the supermarket. im located in the south east,us

wayneb
05-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Yup. Cloves are available at any major supermarket -- on their spice shelves. Look for the whole ones, rather than ground.