PDA

View Full Version : Is Oxy-Clean same as One-Step

OOC92
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Been looking around the internet, is oxy-clean just as good as using One-Step Sanitizer, given we are talking about the unscented...

wayneb
06-18-2008, 01:17 PM
As a cleaner, yup!

I know that some folks claim to use One Step successfully as a sanitizer as well as a cleaner, but in fact it is just a percarbonate-based oxygenator, and while that does a great job of breaking down scummy proteins that stick to equipment surfaces (and in THEORY that should also kill microbes) nobody's done any definitive studies that I know of to certify that One Step can be used as a sanitizing agent.

BTW - I use Oxyclean to clean all of my equipment (cheaper than One Step), but even though it is "unscented," I rinse before sanitizing and using the equipment that I've cleaned with it.

OOC92
06-18-2008, 01:19 PM
And as a sanitizer? Will Oxy-Clean kill the Micro-baddies?

wayneb
06-18-2008, 01:25 PM
Like I said, in theory it does. In order for something to be labeled and sold as a sanitizer (legally), some extensive (and expensive) lab testing needs to be conducted and submitted to the EPA for approval and certification. The One Step people (and the makers of Oxyclean) haven't bothered with any of that.

Also like I said, some folks claim that One Step gives them perfectly adequate sanitizing action on their equipment. I don't endorse it as a sanitizer -- all I say is that some folks out there trust it.

I still give all my equipment a rinse in Star-San before I use it, though. ;)

OOC92
06-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Think Ill order One-Step, cheaper than star-san

akueck
06-18-2008, 08:13 PM
I've heard that oxyclean/PBW/One Step/percabonate will work fine as a sanitizer. EXCEPT, you really should rinse it off first, negating the sanitization unless you use bottled(pasteurized)/preboiled water or such to rinse. Without rinsing it tends to leave a salty film on the surface, and that's not something you want to be tasting in your mead.

skunkboy
07-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Since I've never used Oxyclean before I guess I was suprised when I went to pick some up and discovered
the big product line that they now have. Are you all using "OxiClean Free Versatile Stain Remover" when
you mention Oxyclean?

wayneb
07-19-2008, 11:41 PM
I believe that is what they call it now -- I just know it as the Oxiclean powder that comes in a large blue box (or alternately a blue plastic tub).