• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

A couple of newbie questions about Oskaars Southwestern Sweet Cherry Cyser

Barrel Char Wood Products

laurie_gator

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2008
Arizona
I am going to dive into this recipe today and since this will be another "first batch" for me, I was wondering if someone could help me with a couple of questions.

First, do I need to start the aging in a plastic bucket?

Second, what would be the right time to transfer this into a glass carboy? Can I do that right away or do I need to wait for the 1/3 sugar break?

Third, when I transfer it over to the glass carboy, do I transfer the whole thing, pureed fruit and all?

The only differences I will have will be using 12 lbs of Orange blossom honey and 3 lbs of Mesquite honey and I will be adding a pound of dried blueberries at the end of the lag phase.

Fourth, when would I add the sulfite and how much to add for this recipe?

Thanks for all the help,
Laurie

Angus

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Aug 19, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Hello Laurie,

When you say "aging", do you mean fermentation? If so, then the answer is no, you can start out in a glass carboy if you want. BUT, the fruit you will be adding will form a cap and will need to be punched down (do a search to read up on this) and it is far easier to do this in a bucket. Also, this recipe will ferment quickly, which can result in a geyser when you stir it or punch down the cap, particlularly in a carboy. My advice, start it in a bucket.

The right time to transfer it to a glass carboy? Instructions are "Rack when clear, or if you want to expose it to the lees for a while longer that's fine too." This will be when the primary fermentation has finished and the yeast has dropped out (racking means to transfer from one container to another; Lees is the layer of yeast that settles to the bottom of the fermenter).

When you do rack the Mead from the primary, you are attempting to do this while leaving as much of the trub/lees/fruit etc. in the original vessel. This goes for every other time you are racking. Do not transfer the fruit.

Why add the blueberries at the end of the Lag phase? Not that you cannot, and you may preserve some of the original blueberry flavor, but you may as well add all of the fruit at the beginning.

Finally, Oskaar does not use any sulfites, relying upon the competitive nature of the yeast. I would follow his instructions to the letter and not use any either. If you are using sulfite to stop fermentation, the recipe is set up for a specific final ABV. Rather than stop fermentation using chemicals, adjust the sugar content by altering the honey amounts based on the tolerance of the yeast.

Quick note: Oskaar provides very detailed recipes that can be followed exactly for a great result. Changes can be made, such as adding blueberries, but try to follow the process as written and you will not be disappointed.

Good luck today, and remember to post in the Brewlogs section.

Angus

Edit: Ignore my first paragraph then, based on Oskaars' response. Do not use a bucket.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Only use the bucket to mix up the must and then pour it into the 6.5 gallon carboy. There is no fermentation or aging in the bucket with this recipe. Read the recipe very carefully because if you don't follow the steps exactly with this specific recipe (and any others that include detailed instructions) you're on your own as far as the results go.

Actually what it sounds like you're making is my New Year Cyser.

I don't add any sulfites to this recipe.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

laurie_gator

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2008
Arizona
Thank you for ALL of the help!!!

I am working on going through the archives and reading up as much as I can right now to learn all sorts of cool stuff!

Laurie

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns