PDA

View Full Version : Alexander's concentrate

Summersolstice
07-14-2008, 02:29 PM
I seem to be the only forum member who uses Alexander's as a base for many of my pyments and fruit wines and I realize that it isn't generally held in very high regard among many home winemakers. However, did anyone notice that a 100% Alexander Merlot concentrate took a silver medal in this year's WineMaker International Amateur Wine Competition? Is anyone else using Alexander's concentrates in their wines and/or meads?

JB175
07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I currently have a batch of Cherry Riesling Pyment (Ken Schramm's recipe) in secondary using 3 cans of Alexander's Riesling concentrate. It seems to be working well, though the mead is only about 5 months old and its only one of three main components in the recipe (the others being honey and tart cherries). Tastes good so far, but it needs some time. I might hesitate to use it as 100% of the recipe though.....

Oskaar
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
I've tasted some excellent pyments and wines from the concentrate kits, and don't think that there's really any limit to what can be done with them. I'm so lucky to live where I do that I've been lazy and just really never gone out of my way to use them. I've tasted your Zin pyment dude, and it's friggin great so I don't see any issues with the concentrates.

Maybe I"ll do one this year to see what kind of trouble I can get into! :icon_pirat:

Cheers,

Oskaar

Summersolstice
07-15-2008, 06:44 AM
I still have 3-4 bottles of that oaked ZIn pyment and it's now 3 years old. It's probably time to open a bottle but that's the problem with mead -it just disappear too damn fast!

CBBaron
07-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm an inexperienced mead maker but I have used Alexander's concentrate in a Pinot Noir Pyment and a braggot based on the recipe for Dogfish head Midas Touch. The Pinot Noir is only a few months old and still in the fermenter but is quite tasty. The braggot turned out very nicely and is getting better all the time.
However in both recipes I only used 1 can in 5gal of mead so its not a great test of the quality of the juice.

Craig