PDA

View Full Version : I'm Stuck - Addendum

virtualy
08-04-2008, 05:21 PM
I forgot to ask about another thing that's been bothering me. I "sanitize" most things with a product called One Step. Sometimes I leave things soaking in a container of One Step, sometimes I simply wipe them with a paper towel soaked with One Step. I'm unsure on how long I need to expose the items to the solution. I also wonder if the items need to be completely dry before using them.

Most of the time I simply "sanitize". With certain things, like the aquarium bubblers, I actually sterilize with a bleach solution, then rinse with tap water.

Is this proper technique?

Also, is it okay to wash my hands with One Step? By that I mean, are my hands sufficiently sanitized, such that I can touch things that may come in contact with the fermentable liquids? Can I reuse the One Step solution? I'm keeping it in a sealed plastic container.

Thanks.

--V

1BraddogsBBQ
08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure what the chemicals in one step are but I have been using as a sanitizer for years with no problems. I recently received this from the Northern Brewer.com Home Brew News mailing "One-step: One-step releases oxygen into solution in a way that
forms hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide kills bacteria and other
infectious organisms. Hydrogen peroxide then degrades into water
and oxygen and the only residue is a thin film of minerals that are
naturally found in most water supplies. One-step is not labeled
as a sanitizer because the producer has not chosen to apply with
the FDA for that designation. One step is mixed at one tbsp. per
gallon of warm water. One-step should not be used with hard water
(over 200ppm total hardness). One step has no listed contact time,
but in our experience 2 minutes is effective." Hopr it helps.
good luck,

Brad Dahlhofer
08-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Also, is it okay to wash my hands with One Step? By that I mean, are my hands sufficiently sanitized, such that I can touch things that may come in contact with the fermentable liquids? Can I reuse the One Step solution? I'm keeping it in a sealed plastic container.

To be safe, I'd avoid touching anything where it will come in contact with your mead. Even when you "sanitize" your hands there will still be a potential for contamination. As soon as you touch something else that is not sanitized, you'll pick up something undesirable.

As far as re-using Star-San, I haven't any experience here, but many sanitizers will lose their effectiveness over time. If it's later in the day, or the immediate next day, you're probably okay. But any more than that and you should make a new batch. Some people will probably tell you its okay, and they might be right, but for me, I'd rather make a fresh batch and be sure. If you do re-use, keeping it in a sealed container will help.

Brad

virtualy
08-19-2008, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. The information about how One Step works mirrors what I was told by the vendor. I will not reuse for more than one day. I'll keep the storage bottle capped. I'll be careful what I touch after sanitizing my hands.

I just racked the primary fermentation of a Mango melomel - my third Mead experiment. Actually, I racked it three times. After the first racking, I placed the top into the carboy, pushed it down for a good seal - and popped it into the bottle. What a bother. I had to rack out of the carboy to retrieve the top, then rack back. I'm certain I worked some oxygen into the mix. Oh well.

BTW, that top is NOT making a good seal. It won't "seat" as the others have in my one gallon carboys. I'm afraid to push it too hard, but even a firm push has it popping back up. No grip. Gotta go ask the local supply store guy if he maybe sold me the wrong top.

I've broken a sweat with all this washing and lifting. Or maybe it's from the alcohol. I drank some of the sample I used to check the SG (0.998!). So much for my hopes for a mild, smooth melomel...