PDA

View Full Version : Number of ingredients??

Tea
08-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I am wanting to start a couple of new meads, and my interest was piqued by the coffee and chocolate recipes that I have seen here. Then I wanted to do a red mead, but as blackberries and blueberries are so expensive for me I was thinking of alternatives that I could use.
Thought of maybe dates and prunes, (realise that this will probably be more brown then red), maybe some raisins and or cherries. Then I thought that I could use the date honey to flavour it more, and of course, coffee and chocolate go well with dates, and well then again maybe I could make something using all the above....????

So my question is, does it get to a point that less is best, when it comes to adding and mixing flavours. Even though all the above may go together, would be be best to stick to a couple of flavours, rather than using them all at once?

Any suggestion greatly welcome.

Yo momma
08-05-2008, 06:13 AM
I guess the obvious question is, what kind of flavor/color are you looking for?

If your undecided and have the mead bug, try a bunch of one gallon batches and when there done blend them for an idea of what to do next.

I personaly think that chocolate-coffee with a spritz of cherry flavor would be fabulous but couldn't tell you how much of each because I have never tested any. Personal preference is used then.

Leonora
08-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Less is generally more. If you really want to try a blend, put your ingredients in a jar and put some vodka and a touch of honey in it. Shake and let it sit for a couple of days. It will give you an idea if it will work.

My findings have been this: flavors added at primary become less "true" and more complex (wine does not taste like grapes). Flavors added at secondary and beyond are more clear flavor, but have less depth/complexity. Your plum mead tastes like plums. But if you add age into the mix, all bets are off. Magic happens in a closed corked bottle.

My suggestion would be to do a cherry/chocolate cordial with vodka and sugar if you want clear and crisp flavors. Fermentation changes flavors.

YMMV,
Leonora

Tea
08-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Thankyou both of you. That has confirmed for me what I was thinking.
Looks like I need to stock up on some 1 gallon containers, and start playing. Thanks for the vodka idea too. Sounds like a quick way to test flavours.
Again many thanks.