• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hyperactive Lees stirrer!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

vahan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2006
Well, typically I can't make a batch of beer or mead without screwing up at least one step in the process, but luckily I tend to get a tasty finished product!

Yesterday I started am Oskaar's Blueberry Mel (well, I only used 16 lbs of blueberries, the TJ guy thought I was nuts!) and a semi-sweet (12 lbs honey in 6 gallons water) base mead which I will probably make into a nice vanilla-cinnamon meth (one of my favorites!).

I have decided to try and do things the "proper" way with a lees stirrer daily aeration and adding nutrient at the 1/3 sugar break....

SO, this morning before work I was in the basement sticking my less stirrer in the base mead (luckily not the blueberry!) and I start stirring and a great geyser erupts all over the basement!

I quickly start cleaning up, my wife rolls her eyes and helps get my kid ready for daycare, and I go off to work smelling like an alcoholic!!!

The best thing was that very little must was lost, and the carpet was junky anyway..but I had to clean, clean...

I'll soon have some drunk, happy ants!!!

So, the morals of the story (for those that haven't guessed it) are 1) Don't play with must/mead before your morning coffee 2) Start slowly to release the Co2 that I guess had built up in the must!

I decided that I would not do open fermentation for fear of bugs joining it, so I airlocked the meads!

cheers,
vahan

Teufelhund

Banned
Oct 17, 2007
POX 181 Covington, OH 45318
I feel your pain. :confused4: I've experienced the same thing myself once. Usually, that's all it takes. :laughing7: By starting off punching down the cap first, it allows alot of the built up gasses to escape before you go aerating it with the lees stirrer. I always start real slow and then build up to full speed.

:cheers:

DD

vahan

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2006
My wife told me the basement stinks! I asked her "what should we do about it?" (since I already cleaned thouroughly), and she replied "buy a new house!"

Ha!

One with a bigger basement for my future keg system!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns