• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Contamination with Pesticide & question with airlocks

Barrel Char Wood Products

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
While I was gone at Pennsic...

There was a problem with the sewer system and a plumber came to fix it, and he left the sewer screw caps off leading to lots of roaches invading my brewing room. The landlord ended up calling a fumigator to fumigate the room, and what he sprayed was the sewer entrance where the sewer caps are, but he claims to have not touched any of my carboys. All of the carboys in the room (5 of them), were airlocked with vodka in the airlocks.

Am I going to run the risk of making human-killing mead if that stuff gets into the mead? All of the meads in this room are aging and are not fermenting. Three of the carboys are secondary fermentors, and the others are all later batches and are just sitting around waiting to age.

My second question--these batches that are sitting around aging, should they still be topped with airlocks or would I have been safer having their tops closed with caps at this point?

I'm sort of annoyed my landlord didn't make an attempt to call me before rooting around my storage area.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I’m sure you’re fine. The airlocks are designed not to let the outside in.

I'd personally rack everything into new sterilized carboys and wipe everything else in the room down with a bleach-solution to ensure it doesn’t get to the mead by transfer.

UDV

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2008
NYC
Kee said:
I'd personally rack everything into new sterilized carboys and wipe everything else in the room down with a bleach-solution to ensure it doesn’t get to the mead by transfer.

Meh. Three of those carboys were just racked a week before I left. Is there such a thing as over-frequent racking too soon? Those newly racked carboys are just now clearing beautifully.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Actually, I don't think that you need to rack again right away to avoid contamination. Any overspray from the fumigator is probably deposited as a thin oily film on the outside surfaces of everything, including the airlocks and stoppers. So I'd thoroughly wash and wipe everything down around the airlocks and at the carboy necks before removing the existing stoppers. Then I'd pull the existing stoppers and locks out and replace them with clean ones, filled with fresh blocking solution (vodka). I'd call them good to go at that point -- but I'd do the same wash/wipedown thing again, before you do rack the next time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns